PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Has anyone tried it with any success? Looking to squirrel away a stash of Fusiliers Ration and Bengal Slices. Being what they are, I'm assuming they won't be improved by age. Will freezing sealed, and possibly vacuum bagged tins preserve their enchanting characteristics?
A second question: How long will that type of blend store at room temps, in a sealed tin and still be tasty?

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Check this discussion out pipedreamin
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/freezing-tobacco

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Thanks okiebrad, I tried the search function but only came up with accidental freezing issues.
papipeguy, So 5yrs? 10yrs, IYO/E, the top note and taste would still be there? Is it an ultra-classified trade secret or can you disclose what the top-note is on the Bengal slices without having to kill anyone?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I think the issue is: Tobacco will age with time but if it has flavorings added, they will oxidize/degrade over time. I add O2 absorbers to any tobacco that has flavorings such as Autumn Evening, Ennerdale etc. The tobacco may not improve with age but the flavorings will definitely not degrade.

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Yes, jitterbugdude hit on it, salvation of the top-note is what I'm after. The O2 absorbers sound like they'd be worth a try. Spencer, the OP in the linked thread mentioned he was going to do a freeze experiment, I'll send him a pm to see how it fared.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
I see the biggest problem would be the expansion of water molecules as it freezes. This expansion could greatly change the structure of your tobacco and possibly changing the flavor. In the food industry companies flash freeze in order to keep ice crystals smaller. They will also remove air to lessen the chance of freezer burn.
The next problem is the frozen water is now separated from the tobacco. This will likely cause a problem when it is thawed too quickly. Maybe rapid unwanted bacteria growth. Also freezing will stop all natural "fermentation" of the tobacco.
However let us know how the experiment worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.