Tags:   

Freemasons and Other Fraternities

(115 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by baronsamedi
  • Latest reply from easterntraveler
  1. checotah

checotah

Login to Send PM

Masonry is not a secret society. Our lodges proudly proclaim their presence with signs and banners. We are a private society and feel our business is our own. If you would like admission, simply seek out a member in your area and express that interest to him. 2B1 Ask1. Best thing I ever did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. colcolt

colcolt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have either heard or read that the Oath of the Knights of Columbus, Knights of Malta and Rhodes Scholars is based upon the Oath of the Jesuits and that Freemasonry dates back to the Crusades. Is their any truth to that? I've also read that in Albert Pike's book that masons are to conceal any crimes of their brother masons if called into a court of law even if it meant perjuring yourself. You hear and read all manners of things about so called secret societies and don't know what to believe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. brazz

brazz

Login to Send PM

Teta Delta Chi Omnicron Charge. My son is interested in the Free Masons,whats the best way to join? I live in Rhode Island (Biggest Little State)

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Colonel, Freemasonry as we know it developed mostly in the 1600s, and there are reputable claims of predecessors as far back as the Peasant's Revolt of 1381. The late John Robinson makes a good argument about escaping Templars forming the nucleus of the oaths, but it's all speculation.

Albert Pike was a Confederate General, a world-class intellect, and a shameless bullshitter. I discount any tenet of Masonry if the sole source is Albert Pike. A Mason is obligated only by his own conscience to keep a secret entrusted to him by a fellow Mason. There is also a specific exemption for cases of murder or treason.

A little further on the matter of oaths and obligations. The obligation contains many impressive words and bloody language, but if one reads it carefully (and they are all out there to read) the individual Mason is not bound to the Lodge, he is bound only to himself. In other words, by taking the obligation, a Mason is reminding himself, before God (or the Deity of his choice) of the duties he already owes to his fellow man.

I hope that shed a little light for y'all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

I just created a group for the brethren. Not that Freemasons possess any special insights into pipe smoking, but maybe it would be fun to chat among ourselves.

All Masons are welcome without concern for lodge or grand lodge affiliation.

Click here.

Jay

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. condorlover1

condorlover1

Login to Send PM

I have been asked if I was interested a few times when I was younger - thought about it recently but I know no one in NYC!

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Login to Send PM

Mountain Lodge #661 AF&AM Masonic Lodge (Santa Anna, TX), Scottish Rite 32 degree, also Kappa Sigma.

RLTW!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

I have been asked if I was interested a few times when I was younger - thought about it recently but I know no one in NYC!

You know me.

I've been a New Jersey Freemasons for seventeen years, but now am looking to affiliate with a lodge in Manhattan. The trouble is choosing one from among so many great lodges.

Jay

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fellwoship Lodge # 1385 A.F.& A.M. Odessa,Texas
    32 degree Scottish Rite El Paso,Texas
    El Maida Shriners, El Paso, Texas

Kaywoodie Pipes since 1851
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. willc

willc

Login to Send PM

I am a Carpenter and build scaffolds for Masons quite frequently.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. pipetraveler

pipetraveler

Login to Send PM

I am a Rotarian and a Mason

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. andrew

Comrade Stalin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a Roman Catholic and against freemasons.

Prayer for the Conversion of Masons
    O Lord Jesus Christ. Who showest forth Thy omnipotence most manifestly when Thou sparest and hast compassion,

Thou Who didst say, “Pray for those who persecute and calumniate you, “ we implore the clemency of Thy Sacred Heart on behalf of souls, made in the image of God, but most miserably deceived by the treacherous snares of Freemasons, and going more and more astray in the way of perdition.

Let not the Church, Thy Spouse, any longer be oppressed by them; but, appeased by the intercession of the Blessed Virgin, Thy Mother, and the prayers of the just, be mindful of Thy infinite mercy, and disregarding their perversity, cause these very men to return to Thee, that they may bring consolation to the Church by a most abundant penance, make reparation for their misdeeds, and secure for themselves a glorious eternity;

Who livest and reignest world without end. Amen.
    (100 days, once a day) ( the Raccolta, 8th Edition, p.140)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_ban_of_Freemasonry

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not much of a joiner of formal organizations. I like to let connections and bonds happen through activities
    and affiliations that occur in an informal way over time. Families, friendships, professions, and arts (and other
    activities) all have their secrets and confidences, but I like these to be a matter of character and not oaths. But
    some of the groups mentioned on this thread do some real good, for which I give them credit. The Shriners and
    their burn centers -- and I'm sure many others. The American Legion and the Daughters of the American
    Revolution sent me to Illinois Boys State when I was in high school. I was no kind of politician (the boys can run
    for office there at Boys State) but I did win the Lincoln medal for my essay on the Constitution. The amount of
    energy surrounding the elections was a blast, and some of the guys who specialized in public speaking were
    tremendously skilled.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

I'm a Roman Catholic and against freemasons....

So says the pious soul who uses the likeness of a genocidal totalitarian tyrant for his personal avatar here.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. andrew

Comrade Stalin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So says the pious soul who uses the likeness of a genocidal totalitarian tyrant for his personal avatar here.

So because I use an avatar of Stalin that makes me a bad person? U mad???

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. trailboss

trailboss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember a kid telling me that his dad was a Masonite, because he always watched Perry Mason.

I almost joined the IOF (Independent Order of the Foresters) but never followed through.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Login to Send PM

Wow. This thread went quickly down the sewer, thanks to one person. And, yes, using a communist tyrant as your personal avatar, then casting judgment on people and organizations you know absolutely nothing is pretty ridiculous. I know I wouldn't choose a photo of Adolf Hitler or Charles Manson to associate anything to myself....but then, I'm one of those satanic Masons.

Happy piping.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW! Three year old thread goes around once and all is calm! Comes around again, and not so much!

John
    Posted 3 months ago #
  19. layinpipe

layinpipe

Login to Send PM

I was (am) a Sigma Chi from the Iota Xi chapter at George MASON (lol). I thoroughly enjoyed my time in college as a member of my fraternity and would highly recommend joining one for young people in college. The history and traditions in all fraternities really appeals to me, as i am somewhat of a history buff to begin with. I was also a member of my major's honor society, Lambda Pi Eta, which is the National Communications Honor Society.

My grandfather was a Mason, 32 degree Scottish Rite and a member of the Knights Templar and Knights of Columbus. He was very active at his lodge and i believe he held a high ranking before he passed while i was in college in 2002 0r 2003. My grandmother, his wife, was active with the Northern Star. I inherited his masonic ring and his buck knife, which has inscriptions of all of his fraternal symbols. I misplaced the ring unfortunately, but still have his knife right on my dresser to this day. I will take a pic of it when i go inside, so maybe some of you can discern what the symbols mean. I remember going to a couple of their meetings and dinner functions when i was little. Obviously i didn't attend the actual meeting, but waited outside while they conducted the meeting. I looked into joining the Masonry when i was living in San Diego and they looked up my grandfather and told me a little about him and his status within the society. I never followed through though, maybe i should at some point...

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

I'd love to have a look at that knife, and if you have any questions about Freemasonry, I'd do my best to answer them.

Jay

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Login to Send PM

A few years ago, I received an unexpected package in the mail from my uncle. On the outside was a card which explained that since I was the only Mason in the family, it was only right for me to have my grandfather's (Dad's side) Masonic Bible. Apparently the Bible had been on display in a small museum in Meeteetse, Wyoming for decades.

The Bible lists the dates my grandfather became an EA, a FC, and a MM. Several of the signatures of Masons who were present were relatives of mine.

I also have my grandfather's (Mom's side) Masonic ring and Scottish Rite ring, as well as my grandmother's Eastern Star pins.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. condorlover1

condorlover1

Login to Send PM

Andrew are you trying to disturb a relatively peaceful thread. As a Roman Catholic and a devotee of St Jude I find your rather interesting take of social grouping to have more in common with 'The Witch Finder General' and other charming gentlemen who practiced their trade for profit and sexual kicks in the 1590s. How many angles can you fit on a pin head? Burnt any deserving witches lately? Honestly man the current pope would ex-communicate you for publishing that sort of cr*p on the web. Insipiens, tu dicant a mauris in forum!

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So because I use an avatar of Stalin that makes me a bad person? U mad???

I don't know.. is an a-hole a bad person?

U mad??? no just sad. I hope you are just jerking folk's chains and don't really believe the bat-sh!t crazy stuff you post.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 3 months ago #
  24. condorlover1

condorlover1

Login to Send PM

@dochudson +1

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. ravenwolf

ravenwolf

Login to Send PM

A click to check out some information on Freemasonry (there is a Lodge near my home, and my grandfather was a Mason) - really took a weird turn there with this thread.

Posted 2 months ago #
  26. jrd243

jrd243

Login to Send PM

I am a Past Master of Philo Lodge #243, South River NJ.

Posted 2 months ago #
  27. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

Hi JRD,

My Royal Arch Chapter and Cryptic Council used to meet at Philo. I hope all is well there.

Feel free to join our group. I'd like to start discussion there. Click here.

Posted 2 months ago #
  28. ae1pt

ae1pt

Login to Send PM

Whoa, what a mess. I never knew that there were the equivalent of "Chick Tracts" with an antimasonic flavor...

In the past, I have had a couple Masons offer to do whatever they do to propose someone for membership. Seriously considered it once--as at one time many of the leaders and movers in a community were Masons--and if you wanted to effect any community change one had better belong. And be a member of the local country club. Seeing as I am apathetic on the matters religion and golf, neither would ever work out...

I have been president of a local Rotary. Never again. Chamber of Commerce director--not even at gunpoint again. In college and university, a stack of honor societies--Golden Key, Pi Gamma MU, Alpha Sigma Lambda, so on and so forth. Spent some time around the Moose as a family member teen--old folks getting drunk and dancing. Was part of the American Legion once--joined for the cheap beer...

Fiddled with the Mormons for a couple years--there is a strong relationship there through liberal borrowing from the Masons of ritual and signs. Not much of a joiner today. I don't mind sitting on a few Boards, and the only organizations I pay dues to are AARP and the ARRl (American Radio Relay League). Ran for political office a couple times, but electroshock therapy cured me permanently of that desire...

Most fraternal orgs do good things in their communities. I have no problem with asking them for money to support local programs. Most are otherwise harmless--live and let live.

Patrick
    "Beware the 4 Ps--politicians, preachers, physicians and prostitutes.
    They will smile in your face, take your money--and leave you feeling they got the better part of the deal...
    "
    Posted 2 months ago #
  29. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Widget

Posted 2 months ago #
  30. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a life member of the VFW.

Posted 2 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

gigger48

Login to Send PM

Before criticizing a group one should have a list of their alleged misdoings. Except for a 200 year old conspiracy in upstate NY, I have never heard anything bad about Masons or any other fraternal group. While they may have started out in secrecy, for good reasons by the way, they existed to pass on certain knowledge and evolved into social service. If one were to list the crimes, hypocrisy, and anti-science of the Catholic Church, the Masons would look like school boys having fun.

Pipe smoker by virtue of natural law.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  32. quincy

quincy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heading East here...

Posted 2 months ago #
  33. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no issue with Masons. I was trying to lighten things up.

=D

Posted 2 months ago #
  34. ae1pt

ae1pt

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

gigger48

Login to Send PM

For any Mason who might be interested, meerschaummarket.com sells pipes with Masonic symbols and tools on them. You can custom order alos. Tell Mr. Servi that Gary referred you. I own 6 of the beautiful pipes seen on that webpage.

Posted 2 months ago #
  36. werebear

werebear

Login to Send PM

Just a little story about a Shriner who saved my cousin's life.
    On the very day that I was born, July 16th, 1990, a cousin of mine was burned severely by hot water. Somewhere around sixty percent of her skin, from about mid-chest down, was melted off. This includes her lower arms and fingers. The doctors didn't think she would ever have children( She has three!), she was at most four years old. She only recently had her last skin graft. So on to the nice Shriner. In my local county hospital they had no idea what to do and where considering amputating her arms and legs, when a Shriner simply walked by the room, heard the discussion and recomended the Shriner Burn Center in Cincinnatti, OH. So off they went, and today, thanks to that wonderful Shriner who suggested it and the doctors at the hospital, my cousin has all her fingers and toes. So to you Shriners on this forum, thank you and may the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob bless you all the days of your life. In Christ's name, Amen.
    Would someone evil have done this?

Til shade is gone, til water is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared,
    Screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  37. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

I belong to Joe Werner Lodge #553 in Trinity, TX. I was raised to a master in 1990. I was sure proud! I once had a supervisor that hated us masons because of his religion. It had something to do with the checkered pavement. I can only assume he thinks the symbolism is bad, but he would be wrong. I have a preach (or had) that wouldn't baptize me because I am a mason.

Posted 2 months ago #
  38. ae1pt

ae1pt

Login to Send PM

I was raised to a master in 1990. I was sure proud! I once had a supervisor that hated us masons because of his religion. It had something to do with the checkered pavement. I can only assume he thinks the symbolism is bad, but he would be wrong. I have a preach (or had) that wouldn't baptize me because I am a mason.

Idiots and bigots abound. Roman Catholics refused to baptize me as an infant because I was the product of a single, unmarried mother--as I believe the bishop of our diocese told my grandmother, a bastard. The organized religions that object to Masonic life are doing so because they feel threatened--primarily by ignorance. At the conclusion of the diurnal period, there is nothing about what happens, doctrine, or practice that is mutually exclusive to Christianity. But "religion" has always feared loss of control of the sheep--the ones that keep them fed. Masonic life became so problematic to the Catholic Church (my old alma mater) that in the late 1800s the Knights of Columbus was formed as an alternative. Gotta love those swords and feathered hats...

Live and let live. Fraternal organizations do tremendous good in communities--and the Shriners are a stellar example. I have never heard an anti-Masonic argument out of anyone who had a damaged child that the Shriners were able to help the family...

Posted 2 months ago #
  39. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

I am an independent in matters of politics, groups, fraternities, religions, etc. I've never been a joiner. I have a relationship with God, but always kinda' figured that was between the two of us. The last thing I joined was the US Army. Served as a medic (flight medic and SF), for six years and attained the rank of Sergeant. Got to see lots of exciting places... Upon my honorable discharge and my return to the United States, I was a deputy sheriff with an outfit in Tennessee. I live in a fairly conservative area of California now, and mostly just like being fairly anonymous and left alone. I tend to think that Henry David Thoreau had the right idea.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Login to Send PM

I'm a Grand Master Flash

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forty-five years a Mason, and Past Master of Temple Lodge #16, Cheshire, Connecticut. In all that time, I have never seen or read or experienced anything in Masonry as harsh and critical about any group as what Comrade Stalin said about us. Freemasonry's motto is "Making Good Man Better," and every bit of my experience in masonry I has served only to underscore that motto. This is as gentle and kind a group as you could ever hope to find. I am proud to be a Mason, and wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. My experience has taught me that anyone who shows a negative word about Freemasonry either doesn't know what he's talking about, or is himself a very vile person.

Eric
    Posted 1 month ago #
  42. condorlover1

condorlover1

Login to Send PM

Live and let live - this is difference between us as a society and the other lot that go around cutting peoples heads off!

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

Right on, Condor.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

meerschaummatt

Login to Send PM

I'm in the Knights of Columbus. I am Catholic too but have no problem with the Masons. I actually have a lot of gratitude for them because, as a kid, I had a lot of treatment and surgery at Shriner's Hospital.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Login to Send PM

I am a member of Wayzata lodge 205 of which I will be installed as Master on Dec 14th this year.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, jeepnewbie, conlejm, daimyo, toby67, coalsmoke, robertelliott, tbradsim1, misterlowercase, sailorjeremy, teufelhund, rsuninv, anthonyrosenthal74, trailboss, griffonwing, agnosticpipe, jmill208, instymp, cacooper, northernneil, mcitinner1, sparks, soymilkisgood, pitchfork