PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I have been looking into freehand pipes and really like the looks of many of them, but with their great looks comes great cost... So does anyone know of any freehand pipes for under 100$?

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
There's a lot of confusion about free hand pipes. A Grabow of course can't be a free hand for 30$ or not? 8O

Probably the confusion is between free shape and free hand.Also Nording that is one major brand nowadays cant produce real free hand if not in special series for over 300-400$.

Well pipes can be :

1) machined (the most part)

2)Hand made (that means machine turned and hand finished)

3)Free hand (totally made by hand with no machines)

About free hand we could also say that not all pipes signed free hand are real free hand.James Upshall to my opinion are machined at first step.

Anyway nobody can think to buy a full hand made for 100$ or less,must explain why? well when you get your wage guess the aswer is clear

Maurizio

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I didn't think there was any confusion on what a freehand pipe was. Pretty easy to see what is and what isn't. But just so there is no confusion
Smokingpipes.com's definition of a "Freehand" pipe
Freehand

Used to refer to any pipe shape that is outside of the 'normal', meaning named, styles of pipe making. These were popularized by Danish carvers in the first half of the twentieth century, but now every region of pipemaking has at least one producer of freehand shapes, and many traditional carvers occasionally create a freehand or two.
From Pipedia

Freehand.gif

And Dr. Grabow makes a sexy freehand for the price if I do say so myself.
drgrabowfreehand.jpg

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Spartan;
thank you for ur back up mate i appreciate it. I soon aint gonna post any more comments. One member here, not to mention names, disputes a large percentage of them. Almost like i have a target on my back

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
That's a nice pipe, but it will go for closer to $120, rather than the $36 it's now at.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Maybe. It isn't wearing an original stem and it looks to have been either aggressively buffed or it has a weak stamp. Both may or may not hurt the sale price...its ebay, afterall. :P
The Martinique line isn't quite as popular as some of the others, which may or may not affect the final price.
It does have a Friday night auction ending, which always seems to make prices a bit higher. At least when I am trying to win an auction it seems this way. Fridays and weekends seem to price out higher auctions than day time or mid-week auctions, but I haven't scientifically tested this theory.
I say bid what you're comfortable with and let's see what happens.
Ben Wades are 75% of my little collection. My favorite pipes!

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I think I am going to go with a Nording.... But I love the Ben Wades they just go for too much on ebay.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
Nsfisher, I, for one, enjoy your comments. I'm sure others do too. :puffy:

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have two freehand pipes in my collection and they have become a bit of a prized possession to me.
First is my Celius. It is one of my restorations and is a damn fine smoking pipe. IF you can get your hands on one, I highly recommend them. Only problem is that they are suddenly highly collectible and go for a pretty high price. You wouldn't believe how much I snagged this one for.
DSC03113.JPG

DSC03116.JPG

DSC03117.JPG

The second one is a 1948 Stanwell. I got this one from Portascat (thanks man, it's an awesome pipe!)and started the restoration. He was a mess, but turned out to be a beauty. One of my only faults in this restoration was accidentally sanding the nomenclature down too far to be able to read, but the patent number that was on it was from 1948. I did a staining job as well as fitting a replacement acrylic stem to it.
2012-01-19%2B21.36.35.jpg

2012-01-19%2B21.37.07.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.