PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Here is my latest pipe I made... The bowl is made from a Juniper bush branch near the root ball so the wood is really nice. I used a vulcanized stem on it and the shank is from a MM pipe.
Juniper%20pipe%205-s.jpg

Juniper%20pipe%206-s.jpg

Juniper%20pipe%207-s.jpg

Juniper%20pipe%208-s.jpg

This last picture is to show that Juniper does hold up to smoking and doesn't show and signs of burn through like some might think.

Juniper%20pipe%209-s.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You brought it together really well. I like the pattern on the Juniper wood. Possibly Juniper holds up excellently well; let us know how this one does.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You may want to look up the toxicity of Juniper, while you are not breathing juniper dust, it may cause side effects. Just wanted to make you informed. Nice job by the way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Okay, forgive a brief footnote, cat related. Have a neighbor cat, pure black, which I thought was pregnant, but I eventually realized is just "well fed." She's sweet and companionable, stops by and says hi, rubs against my ankle. Has a really sweet, high, soft voice. She rolls belly up in greeting. When I met her about eight months ago, I named her Juniper. It just occurred to me. She has bright gold eyes. My wife thinks she's bidding for adoption, but she's not clingy, just friendly, walks off happily after we've said our hellos. Also Juniper is the berry used to flavor most gin.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
@ tbradsim1, From what I have found there doesn't seem to be any toxic effect of it. People have used it for heat, smoking food and many other things over the years.
Also Juniper wood is slightly more dense than ponderosa pine. The wood is also quite hard for a softwood: about 35% harder than ponderosa pine, but only about ½ as hard as red oak.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Soft wood that resists heat is a good feature, in terms of working the wood. I've been puzzling over the shape on this pipe. The carver gets the say, of course. I see it as a poker, or perhaps even a billiard variation, but I can see the freehand aspect in the informality. With wear, it will become even more vibrant looking, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.