PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I got some pouches of tobacco for Christmas that don't suit my tastes, so I thought I would offer them up here to see if anyone would like to take them off my hands.
I have:

Captain Black

Captain Black Cherry and

Borkum Rift Cherry Licquer
I smoked one bowl of each to at least give them a shot, and found that I'm just not a fan. So if anyone out there is a fan, let me know, and I will be happy to send these on to you.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I would like to try the cherry. But if someone is more worthy and new send to them first.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sparrowhawk - near as I can tell, there are a couple of things aromatics get knocked for:

1. Goopiness and generally poor smoking qualities.

2. Flavors and/or aromas that don't live up to their marketing hype, either by tasting/smelling funny in some way ("chemical", for example) or by not appearing much at all after the tin note, disappearing and leaving behind a bland, average tobacco flavor.
I've sampled a couple of aromatics that I won't be trying again any time soon, and in my case both fell into the #2 category - the aroma wasn't bad, but the flavor didn't do anything for me, and there are other tobacco blends that I'd much rather smoke. Lesson learned, and I've moved on to other tobaccos (both aro and non) that I'd rather be smoking. There are plenty of aromatics that don't fall into either of those two categories, IMHO (though others may differ).

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I would also add that some also view the flavoring as an apology. Like you don't really like the taste of tobacco, so if you cover that up it allows you to smoke. You see the same thing in coffee snobs who get mad if you drink it any way but black. I generally don't see the point in worrying about this stuff. If you find an are you like, smoke it.

matthewsims

Lurker
Jan 28, 2015
Im up for trying anything. The only thing I've ever smoked is Frog Morton Cellar and I absolutely love it. I just started smoking about a month ago.
So are you saying that aromatics lose their flavor quickly, and end up just tasting rather plain?
Matthew

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Hey smoke what pipe tobacco you like. I tried Samuel Gawith firedance today. After 10 years of no aromatics it is nice to appreciate some once and a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.