PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rootling

Lurker
May 30, 2011
Thanks Kevin, just picked it up. Should be a good read while the sub zero winter witch is hanging around outside.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I bought the book from Fred at the Columbus show two years ago, I have read it several times. It is one of my very favorite pipe books, I just bought it off Amazon to keep on my iPad, which rarely leaves my side anymore. I simply cannot say enough good things about this book, if your serious about your pipes you will learn a lot in these pages!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Excellent! I've been waiting for this ever since the Radio Show episode where Fred was the featured guest. Off to the Kindle shop...

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have most every pipe book ever written, going on 85+ titles so far, including many hard to find titles from the turn of the Century on through the heyday of pipe smoking, including many catalog reprints, and this one by Fred Hanna, as well as Gary Schrier's Confession of Pipeman, are far and away my favorites. Hanna's book is highly recommended reading.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Iy you don't have the this book you are missing a real treat. And if you ever get a chance to meet Fred don't pass that up. He a real pleasure to talk to and a gentleman.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Maybe this goes without saying, but I just wanted to let folks know that you don't have to own an actual Kindle device to read Kindle books. Amazon makes a Kindle app for iOS, Android, and (I'm assuming) Windows mobile OS, so you can read Kindle books on whatever tablet or smartphone you may own, as well as on any computer.
Bob

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So I bought the book yesterday, then spent the afternoon running around doing some in-person shopping, and finally collapsed into bed, where I made the mistake of opening up Fred Hanna's book on my Kindle. Now, this morning, I'm bleary and awaiting my first infusion of caffeine - but it was totally worth staying up waaaaay past my bedtime reading Hanna's essays.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I made the terrible mistake of buying this book for my kindle the day before a law school final. Pray for me...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If a person wanted the physical copy of this book, can they get it? I see Kevin said it is out of print in his first post, so I assume no. But it never hurts to ask.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For folks who have this book in Kindle format - is it formatted correctly? My copy, a .azw file isn't formatted very neatly. The table of contents is placed oddly and new chapters don't start very neatly. Here is a shot of the TOC which is Location 75 of 4370. Later an incomplete TOC also appears in the one of the multiple forwards. I'm not sure if I have a bad copy or someone didn't do a very good job converting the book to Kindle?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Lincolnsbark wrote:
I made the terrible mistake of buying this book for my kindle the day before a law school final. Pray for me...

My son is also a law student (2nd year BC,) and had a choice last night: study or view last episode of Homeland. Still don't know how that one came out.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
ssjones:
So, you're NOT reading this on a Kindle? Because Kindle is AZW. Not sure how you can have an AZW-compatible copy that isn't on a Kindle device or app.
Regardless, this kind of formatting isn't at all unusual if you're reading budget or free public-domain books where you're getting what is essentially a text-dump, not a careful conversion. I'd definitely expect something better for a full-price e-book. But that may just be the breaks when you're talking about a self-published book that was likely self-published in e-book format as well.
It looks like you've got full justification turned on. Again, I don't know what you're reading this on, but if you can turn on left justification for this title, that might help. You might also find that adjusting the type size might give you screens that are easier to read.
Of course, it's possible that you've got a glitchy copy. I haven't yet bought my own copy, so I can't speak from firsthand knowledge. But it sounds like you might just be dealing with a rudimentary conversion that wasn't handled with the care a professionally published book would (or at least should) receive.
Bob

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I have both the book and the Kindle version. The latter is better for doing a word/term search, and hence for looking things up. And no, the book is not for sale. Sorry, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.