PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I am going to post quite a few pictures up, but I want to see others as well. This is my first time doing anything like this, but it seems to have worked so far and accomplished what I wanted. I broke a clay pipe, interestingly enough with a stinger in the stem, a small one. Threw the stem to the side, figured I would use it at some point. Well, recently picked up a Dr. Grabow Eldorado for $10 that had potential, but knew the stem was completely wrong. So, removed the (guess you still call it a tenon) from the stem it came with, removed the one from the old clay pipe drilled it out and swapped them. I heated the tenon and crammed it in the new stem, went in nicely and stayed secure. I used the closest washer I could find to make it hard for the stem to spin. I had to because the adjustomatic aspect much to my surprise still worked! It was turning just slightly easier to turn than the normal and the washer puts enough pressure to stop it. At first was skeptical of the white stem...but, wasn't going to be able to have it fixed, so wanted to get it where I can smoke it...and turned out better than expected.
If there are others who have added other bits and pieces together to make a new pipe that is out of what it's supposed to be...I would like to see pictures of yours as well, add to the forum.
Original Clay Pipe -

0914151512-00_zpsxd6wxevg.jpg

0914151511-03_zps8xwehbfu.jpg

Eldorado -

1005152117-00_zpscxyfdqar.jpg

1005152116-00_zpsmg4gp7ey.jpg

Frankenstein -

1005152119-00_zpslpcqznrc.jpg

1005152114-01_zpsbmwnbbre.jpg

1005152113-00_zpsykqwa1id.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Going to have to change your name to Dr. Frankenpipe if you keep that up. I like it!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
What got me was the washer....it made it look so fancy. I still have to clean up the stem, and mortise before I can smoke it. Will finish that up tomorrow and smoke it soon. Took a little draw off it, everything is working out. Just goes to show, even a newbie can do this! So, $2 on the clay pipe that broke,$10 on the Eldorado, a free washer that most have lying around to make a new pipe! Gotta admit, pretty proud right now.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Much to my chagrin...something happened this morning during final clean up. Had maybe 3-4 more cleaners to pass through....about a quarter-half inch off the top broke on the stem. I am still not sure how this happened...didn't make sense. Though it is very old. SO in my distress I've spent the day thinking of solutions. Glue just didn't please me as it would ruin the function and likely break again. So, came to the conclusion since I called it Frankenstein I should find another part to fix it. Came to the conclusion I could just file it off and add another section, combine them. While they are not exactly even, it's because the hole in the black part is off center. Also, the glue set up quite fast and was no turning back. It's doable, adjusto works still, and only requires a little clean up where it is kinda sloppy. Another embarrassing moment....the second washer....I picked up the wrong one so it's a little bigger. Will either leave it, grind it down, or replace it later...if possible. This is an ongoing experiment I guess. Next thing you know it will have another piece of briar added -_- I felt the need to explain my shame. And update for now. Is this because of pride? Or just bad luck?

1006152015-00_zpscjr6drbk.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Also, what will acetone do to that acrylic stem? To clean off the Krazy Glue....Didn't think of it before I made a mess. And if I wanted to add a metal cap around the bowl, any tips? Just a thought...this poor pipe is about to either be great or I may cry a little.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
When I say a metal cap, I mean something like this. While I wouldn't go into the bowl, just a thought...experimenting.

pm-pdtk-t-q.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting fixes, creative. Interesting that you can get a pretty good smoking tool when things look pretty well gone.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Nevermind the cap idea, just going to smooth out roughness and hope to smoke it.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
An update on being crafty. I learned about this because of my father doing it to his gun. It was black and had the name/caliber and everything embossed and you couldn't see it well. Someone out there figured out a white crayon will stay in, and all you have to do is wipe the excess. Makes it pop out, and surprisingly sets in very well (I did it at night and need to go back over a little). Considering the white stem I went ahead and did this just playing. I like it too though. Also, smoked the pipe today. Strong enough to hold up to clenching and moving around with no problems unscrewing while tight. SO...other than the painstakingly slow process of removing the excess glue, shining up the black section of stem, and when I get the stuff buffing up the bowl...it's good to go...when I do finish all that I'll post the finished product as well. Here's the markings and me with it!
1007151406-02_zpstmfqhjjg.jpg

1007151431-00_zpshrz2osib.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Acrylic stems and Ajustomatics don't mix to well,which is why Grabow never made many of them.I have put an Ajustomatic tenons in a couple of acrylic stems,one was a stem I made the other was from a Grabow Royalton.
The reason your stem was easy to turn after you first installed the Ajusto may have been because the hole in the stem was too large. It should be the same diameter as the smallest diameter on the end that goes in the stem. The stem needs to be heated thoroughly and be quite soft before you insert the Ajusto. Your stem may have broken because it wasn't hot enough when you inserted the Ajusto.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Interesting about the smallest diameter. I actually made it just slightly under the size that goes into the stem. It turned actually a few times after it had completely set as I was testing it. There weren't noticeable cracks either. I actually heated the Ajusto (and I have been spelling it wrong I guess so thanks) and pushed it in. The actually break came in while cleaning it with alcohol. I wasn't being rough but was using a bristled cleaner, I started to pull it out and it broke two pieces. You say you made a stem, any chance of a picture?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
On this pipe I used both the aluminum shank extension and the Ajustomatic tenon from an old Grabow-- as requested by the the guy it was made for. This was the first hand cut stem I made.

jim-morrisons-poker-2013-01-25-003-1280x960-600x336.jpg

jim-morrison-poker-2013-02-02-006-1280x6641-600x311.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.