PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I'm wondering what everyone does (if anything) about home fragrance issues. I'd like to make life a little more pleasant for my lovely and longsuffering wife. I'm thinking about getting a Lampe Berger Fragrance Lamp and thought I'd ask if anyone else uses these? Or candles, or incense, or bamboo sticks, or.... What do you use to keep your loved ones from feeling like they just walked into a smokey bar?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of the four seasons lamps from Lampe Berger. Paired with the sandlewood oil, it does a fine job of purifying the air in my smoking room.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'm a big fan of the Lampe Berger lamps, and have two of them. I usually make my own fragrance oil, which is really isopropyl alcohol with a little essential oil fragrance mixed in with it. I find it actually sanitizes the air and removes odors rather than just masking them. I don't smoke in the house more than necessary, but will do so if the weather is not nice enough to smoke outside. They work good on cooking odors too. Lots of info online about these and other fragrance lamps.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Only thing I've found that allows me to be inside at all is the Rabbit Air filter. Honestly, my relatives come over and can't even tell I've had a pipe the next day.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Thanks for everyone's feedback! I googled those rabbit filters... A little out of my price range at this time, but I'll keep it in mind for later! I went ahead and ordered an inexpensive red cube lamp with "winterwood" fragrance, since we're heading into autumn and winter. However, there are a lot to choose from! What are your favorite scents? And Orley, what's the ratio of essential oil vs. isoprpyl alcohol that you use?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
sittingbear: I use as a guide something I read online, but I don't remember where, 16 oz. 91% alcohol, + about 1/2 teaspoon essential oil. I say about because you can vary the amount to suit how strong you want the fragrance to be. I find that I prefer less fragrance so it doesn't become over powering. But that's just me, I may be more sensitive to some fragrances than others. You can always add more alcohol or fragrance to meet your needs. Follow the directions carefully, as you don't want to damage the wick stone and clog it up with too much oil. And remember, the fragrance oil you find by the candles in most stores are too oily and not pure fragrance. What you want is essential oil, preferably steam distilled that comes usually in very small bottles, about 1-2 oz. I get mine at CVS as there isn't any other place around where I live to buy any, but you can easily buy them online too. Another option is sites like Caronline's Candles online that sell a wide variety of scented oils like the Lampe Berger brand, but at a much lower cost. She also sells lamps and replacement wicks too. I've always stuck to the original Lampe Berger wicks, as I never have any problems with them. I also keep my spare wick in a tupperware container with plain 91% alcohol in it to keep it clean and ready.

Hope this helps.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
I have the Lampe Berger, but I use only after I have been smoking inside - but remember, it won't take away the smoke - get a good air purifier as well. For Lampe Berger oil - I find the Fresh Linen is a good one that everyone enjoys.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I'd like to get an air purifier but so far I just use Febreze Heavy Duty spray. I smoke indoors in an apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.