Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Well, I've been home for 3 days with a broncitis virus that is going around. After the first day I started to drive my wife nuts. I can't even enjoy a pipe.
Yesterday my wife pulled out a DVD set she got from the library - Foyle's War. We're late to the party on this one. What a great series! We really had no idea of what England had gone through before the American's joined the war. No wonder they resented the "yanks" who arrived with everything new and plentiful. This is truly a wonderful series that I would recommend to anyone.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I enjoyed it as well. The series 6 was the end of the war years. The show started up again in 2010 and series 8 was just released this year.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Current series is being shown on PBS, I've watched every one. I may get the prior series on DVD, I'm sure they are just as good.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I've really enjoyed the whole series on Netflix. They also have it at the local library to borrow. Thanks for the heads up on the other show Roth.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks Roth for the info on Bletchely Circle. That will be our next.
Tried Inspector Allyn - after the first episode my wife called him a wimp and we haven't watched any more of that series. We really enjoyed the Campion series, there just weren't many of them.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I found the Foyle series to be rather preachy and overly idealistic. The mysteries themselves were pretty good but the characters were off-putting.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would even more heartily reccomend the Wallender books by Henning Mankell. Very good series of mysteries. Also any of Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus books, set in Edinburgh and surrounds.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
I found Foyle's war an interesting ww2 mystery show. However, I enjoyed many other European ww2 movies such as "der untergang", and "flammen & citronen". :puffy:

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
i'm feeling another topic brewing. posted new thread
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/favorite-netflix-series?replies=1#post-495288

Status
Not open for further replies.