PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
SWMBO came home from her trip with four pipes for me from her grandparents. Apparently he has much more but he really likes them and kept them as eye candy for himself. He no longer smokes and hasn't smoked for some time. I was told these were just sitting for 15-20 years! Two of the stems are sitting in Oxy Clean, one seems plastic so I didn't want to ruin it with the oxy clean soak and another just wont budge. The one that is stuck is a meer, can i throw this into a freezer for a bit and try to get it out or is that only work for briars?
Anyways to the good stuff you want to see. I have yet to research these but will once I am finished here but if anyone knows anything feel free to chime in.
-Black/Orange pipe- Stamped "the pipe" started cleaning it up and thought it was meer lined until I noticed.... this thing is metal lined!! I may be mistaken but some here may know. It is very heavy and I chalked it up to low grade briar but now I know it must be the metal.
-Small Bent pipe- Stamped "jonathan" and what looks like "hand made" "imported briar"
-Small black rusticated pipe- One side stamped "Block Meerschaum" on the other "P"... I can not get the stem off of this one though.
-Large bent pipe- I believe it is stamped "Lorenno or Lorenzo" "La Moo" "8613 Italy"... now this is an oddly shaped pipe here. And a much much smaller bowl than I originally expected.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I bought a The Pipe back in the early seventies for $15.00. It was overpriced by $14.99.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
I was nable to find anything about any of these pipes. I may just not know where to look. Im counting on the knowledge of the forum to help me out.
I bought a The Pipe back in the early seventies for $15.00. It was overpriced by $14.99.
LOL, I believe it, It is way heavy. Im not sure it is made from briar on the outside, and seems odd to smoke out of a metal lined pipe. Do you know anything else about this? How did it smoke?

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Pretty sure "The Pipe" was made from phenolic resin (something like bakelite).

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Materials_and_Construction
Thank you so much for that link. I searched pipedia but didn't see that page. I appreciate it, makes me want to actually smoke it now. I was pretty hesitant at first.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
The Pipe was made of phenolic resin, otherwise known as plastic, and it had a hard graphite liner inside the bowl. If cleaned up that graphite might well be slick enough to look like metal but I don't think they ever actually made one with metal in that location. I've had some lousy smokers in my day but The Pipe was easily the worst. My advice is to stick it up on the mantelpiece as a cultural icon of the late unlamented 1970s and turn your attention to refurbing the briars however they might need it.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
The one with a "P" and "block meerschaum" looks like a Pioneer (brand) meerschaum pipe - made from African meerschaum.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Everything you ever wanted to know about "The Pipe" http://www.thepipe.info/sitemap.html http://www.thepipe.info/info/anatomy.html They are dishwasher safe. The rest look to be good smokeable pipes!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I met a guy at JB Hayes a few months ago, he had a blacked "The Pipe" in his hand and was buying tobacco. He said it was the only pipe he had and it was over 30 years old. The pipe looked like it had been left in a woodstove! I guess smoke what you like!

Status
Not open for further replies.