PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Some news from mainland Europe. Samuel Gawith are releasing 4 new Virginia flakes this week named after the 4 seasons and UK countries. They seem to be co-branded with Stanislaw and as yet I don't know if they will be available under worldwide release, or if they will even be available in the UK. They are certainly not featured on their website yet, but they sound delicious!
itj4.jpg

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I wish they were more descriptive with the Scottish Autumn blend. Not sure "slow-burn" counts. If that is the tin art, I'm a fan of all of them. And since I love Virginias and Va/Pers I'll certainly end up with most of these at some point.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
SG does some nice things with latakia and flakes now, with Balkan and Navy. Be interesting to see where they go with these.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
They sound like great tobaccos, hope they end up coming over to the states.

~Ron

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I to hope these new Sam Gawith blends come to the States. I have always thought that McClelland and Gawith use some of the best Virginias.

Dec 24, 2012
I
reland is emphatically NOT a part of the UK. What they should have called it is Northern Irish Spring, as much of a mouthful as that is.
Agreed, or perhaps "Spring in British Occupied Ireland"

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Agreed, or perhaps "Spring in British Occupied Ireland"
Not nice Peck - I live here. Unless an occupation is defined as the majority of the natural born citizens who have at this point expressed their democratic right to remain part of the UK.
Ireland is emphatically NOT a part of the UK. What they should have called it is Northern Irish Spring, as much of a mouthful as that is.
Technically incorrect. There is actually no such country as Ireland. There is only the Island of Ireland, which is split into 2 countries, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Now if you want to look at "Ireland" when it was a country, then this would have been pre-1921 when it emphatically was a part of the UK.
I live in the UK, but I am an Irish citizen, define myself as Irish, hold an Irish passport and support an Irish rugby team which is made up from players from all parts of the island.
So if it is OK for me, what is the problem with a tobacco named as such? RANT OVER!

Reactions: cersono

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@reborn, hardly worth the rant; just a typical 'peck wind-up', piss-take or whatever. Somewhat off topic, and IMO inappropriately 'political'. With it being peckinpahhombre the Mods will ignore it, as I suggest you should!! LOL

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
@rebornbriar
Not to belabour this point on a pipes website but it's important to point out that, although there is indeed technically no such country as "Ireland", the terms "Ireland" and "Irish" are used far more frequently to refer politically to the Republic of Ireland than to the geographical landmass of Ireland. In political terms, "Ireland" is shorthand for the Republic, and for SG to use the generic term "Irish" to refer to what they can only reasonably mean as specifically "Northern Irish" is misleading and insensitive.
OK, back to pipes. Irish Spring Flake actually sounds like a really nice blend.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
@dryseason91 I can't see it being insensitive, as that would deny my right to be Irish if it only applied to the population of the Republic. As 2 Irish citizens together, we will agree to disagree ;)
Back to pipes..... it does sound like a really nice blend, and it will be interesting to see if it resembles any of the qualities of some of the old Irish tobaccos of which I am a big fan.
Whilst I love the SG Virginias and they rank in my top tobaccos - I am becoming more enchanted with the old stalwarts like Warrior Plug from Belfast and Mick McQuaid from Dundalk. See, it is possible to share a common heritage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.