PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
these are the most recent four estates i have attacked with my Dremel. sorry about the bad pictures, but i am happy to say i think i am getting a better understanding of finishing and using stains. all of these had their smooth sections sanded up to a 1200 grit.
this is a Medico VFQ that Romeowood sent me when i did another bent bulldog for him. love the lines on this pipe, and kept it pretty simple. smoked my first bowl in it last night (Mac Barren Mixture Flake) and it smoked wonderfully. I can understand why RW misses it.

dscn2769z.jpg

dscn2768q.jpg

dscn2767g.jpg

dscn2763d.jpg

dscn2762xa.jpg

dscn2761r.jpg

dscn2708n.jpg

these two straight bulldogs are nameless basket pipes i got from bootleg in a trade. both smoke great. just had a lot of fills and needed a facelift for my tastes. tried something a little different on these. do you see it?

dscn2665d.jpg

dscn2666bs.jpg

dscn2697d.jpg

dscn2700p.jpg

dscn2755t.jpg

dscn2754do.jpg

dscn2753h.jpg

dscn2747dt.jpg

dscn2741w.jpg

dscn2726z.jpg
dscn2742o.jpg

dscn2703b.jpg

this is a lovet that lonestar sent me a as a bonus in our last trade. was a very dark shiny pipe, and once i started stripping it down and saw the grain on it i was very excited. haven't smoked it yet, but based on appearance it is one of my favorites i have redone thus far.

dscn2674e.jpg

dscn2675s.jpg

dscn2678z.jpg

dscn2681r.jpg

dscn2683g.jpg

dscn2736a.jpg

dscn2733i.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm in love with that Canadian with the sort of spiral patterned rustication. You are really starting to get comfortable with your rustication technique. I dig it.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Great work....soon you will have your own little rustication business going! :lol:

rybo

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
beautiful as usually. amazing work. thanks for the pm - haven't had a chance to respond, but it's definitely helped in my efforts

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I love the work. If and when you decide to do rustications for members let me know as I have a nice bulldog that has a char on the side that I think could be rusticated out.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys. you rock.

i have definitely become alot more comfortable with this. i do think the tattooing for the last 14 years has helped in some ways... being used to using an electric tool that is vibrating. that's somewhat similar, but i think more so the act of working on a 3 dimensional object and using it's shape for an advantage in the overall design. i think that has helped somewhat.

ohin3 - i really fell in love with the grain on the bowl of the Lovet. there have been a sprials turning up in my partial-rustifications lately, and there was no way i could pass it up there. i had my first bowl in the pipe tonight after work, and it smoked amazingly well.

i am starting to think i am just very easily pleased with pipes.

clanobucklin - that is very doable sir. i'll send you a pm on the subject sir.

Jul 12, 2011
Western WA
Good work on all. I especially like the work on the Canadian, but the grain looks so nice on it, it would have been hard to rusticate! Great work none the less.

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
bornagain... it has amazing grain in spots. i kept all the pieces of real grain on that guy. where i rusticated was a dull birdseye that didn't stand out much at all. the rust, with it's texture and darkness also does a really nice job of creating alot of contrast and making what grain is left come out more visually.

Status
Not open for further replies.