PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Gotta' love eBay! Four brand new Dr. Grabow estate pipes that I scored today. Even with shipping, it averages out to $9/pipe. Three of them are called Starfires and one of them is called a Tuxedo. I don't know if these were part of a store display, or a salesman's case, but without further ado:
Z6y913d.jpg

RfPeSUC.jpg

Only thing I'm unsure about, is the discoloration on the stems of two of the pipes. This would indicate to me, that these pipes had been used, but yet, the bowls are pristine. Not so much as a smudge of soot, unless they've been refinished... Any thoughts?

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Nice score. Vulcanite oxidizes through exposure to air, not through being smoked so they probably are unsmoked.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Awesome. Thank you! :) I'm looking forward to these... There's a depression in the lower left of the case. I wonder if there was originally a lighter, or maybe a small can of sample tobacco.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Thank you! I was just browsing around, and did a search for "estate pipe lots" and after seeing several very roughly used pipes, I found these pristine babies. :) :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The boxes were sold as gift sets. 5 per box I believe. The Tuxedo doesn't belong in that set. It's not a Grabow.

Nice score !

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
A nice find!
I think the round depression held a briar medallion of some type with a ribbon. The picture is too low res for me to see what it is clearly.
grabowmedalian_zps2a482f37.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
One of the member of the DGCF (who lives in Scotland) just picked up this set of Grabow Viscounts. Gift sets were also available with two pipes.

1024_zpse5d12077.jpg

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Thanks, everyone. The Tuxedo is not a Grabow pipe? What is it, then? What is the quality? It looks very nice... James, that's very nice. Beautiful set.
Tuold, looks like the medallion reads, "Dr. Grabow, Imported Briar." Not sure what the "CDL" in the middle is, though.
Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.