PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Well, a bit less than 4 bucks. I bought a porcelain bowl tyrolean pipe off ebay and it came with a figural briar pipe and a small Yello Bowl.
This is the figural pipe, I thought the guy threw it in to get rid of it. I got all three pipes for 11 bucks shipped! The pipe had been smoked a lot, which surprises me for such an odd pipe. The stem shown is the one for the porcelain pipe, but this looks good. I removed all the metal parts from the stummel and reamed and cleaned it. The stem was cleaned. The metal parts are, unfortunately, steel and the nickel has left parts of it. No big deal. I repaired the hinge and cleaned them the best I could. The slots in the wind cap were completely clogged with tar!

After the stummel dried, I oiled it well.
24771732728_6bb3011894_k_d.jpg

38611637932_4d4bb4ed3d_z_d.jpg

37926619744_a2a39e1da7_k_d.jpg

I'm going to smoke this one.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
That's what I thought. I was really surprised at the cake and tar mess. The original stem is a normal cherry tree branch and what looks like horn bit. I will clean it up and re-fit it later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, if it's well broken-in it probably smokes well. Like a restaurant where the parking lot is usually full ... means something.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I get a kick out of novelty pipes. So, I dig it. I'm not at all surprised that it was well smoked. If you remove all of the extra briar used to make the face and shove a standard stem in there, you'll have nothing more odd than your standard Oom Paul.
By the way, that drilled hole on the front of the bowl isn't incidental. When the cap is in place that guy should blow smoke.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Check the top of the rim and inside top of the chamber for a hole or two.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I will have to pul the wind cap to see the rim. I can't see anything in the chamber. It does look like it is there for a reason though. I will look some more. Everything was plugged up with tar, so it could still be hiding I suppose. It would be pretty cool to see him 'puff'.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Dang! What a score. That thing is cool. Cannot wait to see what you do with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.