PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Been hard at work lately and wanted to show off the fruits of my restoration labors. Check 'em out fellas!
DSCN0623.jpg

My four new best friends
DSCN0624.jpg

London Voyager Pipe
DSCN0625.jpg

Blakemar Crustys Rusticated. This was the worst of the bunch and is a true testament as to what Micromesh can do for a pipe.
DSCN0626.jpg

Kaywoodie Rhodesian (Sans Stinger! Yahoo!)
DSCN0627.jpg

No name briar. I call it my saucepan. I love the shape.
DSCN0629.jpg

I love Micromesh
DSCN0628.jpg

Just hanging out with some good Virginia baccy. Thanks for looking everyone!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Looking good but You better send them to Me so I can get a better look, I'll send them back fast in about 10 to 20 years. :rofl:

Jul 15, 2011
You better send them to Me so I can get a better look, I'll send them back fast in about 10 to 20 years.
By the time you send them back I would have to restore the damn things again! :laughat:

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
Looks good sir. And congrats on going stingerless on your woodie.

...now that just sounds wrong. Oh well.

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for the kind words fellas. There was a fifth one in that bunch but it is currently in the hands of Mr. Jason Gone. He is going to work his magic and do one of his world famous rustication jobs and a lowly old no name Prince pipe. I am stoked about seeing it when it is done!

Jul 15, 2011
Just had my first smoke of the Blakemar pipe. Loaded it up with some of the Orlik shown in the picture. Im happy to report that it smokes very nice. Packed easily, absorbed heat very well, had a nice draw, and only had a little gurgle throughout the whole smoke. That also marks the end of that tin of Orlik also. Cant wait to smoke the rest!

Jul 15, 2011
I bet having put so much effort into them makes them all the more cherished
I nearly developed carpal tunnel working on that G*#!@ damn Blakemar. I snagged it off ebay for only 5 bucks and boy oh boy, was that pipe abused. The stem was a mix of carmel and green colors, and it had so much cake I had a hard time getting a reamer into it. It took 4 salt and alcohol treatments to get the gunk out, but I have to say that you are right, it was well worth it. It is a sweet smoke, and I am damn proud of it.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
pipes look great, starting to get inspired to get the stuff I need to fix up a couple estates I have...

Jul 15, 2011
Oxyclean, a set of Micromesh, some kosher salt, some Bacardi rum, and lots of pipe cleaners were the only things I used in this restoration. A setup well under $50 and they smoke like a dream. Most of these pipes were ebay steals. I dont think I paid over $10 for any of these. A little elbow grease and some determination and you can make a cheap pipe smoke great again!

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
hey matchstickman, great restoration job there! i too am a HUGE fan of micromesh, and when I restore stems I usually start with the coarse 1500 grade and go up through the intervening grades until i get to 12000, which gives a nice slick shine....it DOES take time on heavily oxidized stems (although OxyClean works wonders) and once I have finished with the 12000, I smear them with olive oil, let it soak for 30 minutes then buff, for a bit of extra protection....
what i am looking for now is a way to speed this process up and save my hands from soreness....i think i will likely get some kind of buffing wheel and tripoli, diamond etc...but I wonder if the results will be as good as with micromesh?

Status
Not open for further replies.