PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I stopped by my local antique store yesterday and was pleased to see these three pipes in a basket for six bucks each.

Two Nordings and a Bjarne "Handmade". These are the first of their kind in my collection, so I'm pretty jazzed to have them.
Three%20Danes_zpsmiew8itv.jpg

BJ%20Danish_zpsbwpdzta0.jpg

Sitting%20Danish_zps0hw0mwmo.jpg

Long%20Danish_zpscpvplvty.jpg

The last Nording is a bit faded and should probably be refinished but it's good enough for now.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice score, especially for the price! I love that square-shanked one- it has a smooth Seventies vibe, even down to the logo font.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I usually don't go for the Nordings, but I like ALL of those pipes! Very nice catch! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Six bucks apiece? Shame on you. Take them back. You just have a better class of antique stores where you are. When I ask about tobacco pipes, they look offended.

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Wow! Those are some beauties. I need to check out some local antique stores around here and see what I can find.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You got some serious lumber for estate pipes!
There are great Nording pipes and then the rest of them are just really good smokers. But if your two new to you Nordings don't please then enjoy the minimum 30 to 40 bucks each you'll get on the Bay. (You paid 6.00 apiece. Woof!)
I knew nothing about Bjarne until I Pipedia'ed the man and I'm wondering if yours might take a filter? It's almost a crossover between the Danish style - ala Stanwell - or the more traditional shapes made for the German market.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Bjarne
You made a great haul, Mike. Way to go.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@fnord
I knew nothing about Bjarne until I Pipedia'ed the man and I'm wondering if yours might take a filter? It's almost a crossover between the Danish style - ala Stanwell - or the more traditional shapes made for the German market.
I have heard of Nording pipes but like you I'm not familiar with Bjarne. Evidently, Viking pipes are Bjarne seconds. (?)

The tenon on that Bjarne is a very small caliber so probably no filter is meant to go with the pipe.
There were other pipes from this estate. One was an Oldenkott which is a German make. I could tell it was not of the same quality as these three. The gentleman who owned these pipes back in the 70's seemed to prefer Danish and German pipes. They were all quite worn as far as finish, cake build up, etc.. all cosmetic and easily fixable.
@dave g
Nice find! $6? Seems a lil pricey to me
Ha ha! Yeah, the lady who runs the store is a pushover. I should have asked for a 25% discount =)
There were a couple of other interesting specimens there so I'll have to go back next weekend and check them out a little more closely. I was so excited about getting these that I pretty much just picked them up and ran.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Nice pipes. I don't imagine anyone of us reading this forum would have passed that 'deal'.

Yours could be the deal of the year. Nording and Bjarne are yet to be adopted here, but I have read and heard good things.

Come to think of it...I don't think I have a Danish pipe YET! Stanwell?

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Simply splendidly lovely!! Hmmmmmm... must start visiting antique joints... we have a slew of them hereabouts! It would be well worth the gas to even have a chance at making an awesome score such as that... and strangely, I'll bet the odds of that are better than Power Ball!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Damn! Eighteen total for those three? Bravo Brother! BTW, I believe Bjarne was the fellow that Mogens Johansson of "Johs" pipes studied under and carved for.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Excellent all around. The last antique store I went to was run by two Swedes, but there were no Danes about. One of the Swedes was eating a Danish, from the bakery next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.