PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
We all love a good American handmade pipe, right? Especially ones that have great stories and come from those fabled heros of America pipe lore! Well I spotted one on eBay that the seller had listed as "AM. SP Pipe #012" and it had almost no activity. I picked it up and was surprised to find it UNSMOKED and looking a lot like ones Mark Tinksy and Curt Roller made back in the late 70s early 80s.
So I emailed Mark Tinsky and sent him the pictures of the pipe. He gracious confirmed that I had made a good decision. Haha.
Mark replied back to my email with this informative and humorous response:
"we used the AMSP stamp for perhaps a year on our first pipes. Maybe a 100 or so made with that stamp. They are obviously quite rare and to find an unsmoked one is amazing . I have one or two from that period unsmoked as well. Hoping one day Ill be famous enough to “Cash in “ on them. But I think that will be long after I'm out of here. So best enjoy the pipe while we re here Thanx for sending ! MT"
LSsXGe9.jpg

Full Album Link

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That's great! Good information from Mark, I've never even heard of the early Am.SP mark before.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Great to have that confirmation from the horses mouth.

I'd almost be inclined to leave it unsmoked.
I'm really torn on dilemmas like this. I love to pay homage to the greats by enjoying their craftsmanship as God intended; however, the fact that this thing went this long without being smoked...
Am I worthy to christen is? Haha. Perhaps I could send it to you or someone to do the honors first, eh? Surely nobody would volunteer for that. ;)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Excellent catch! American Smoking Pipes, especially those from the Tinsky-Rollar days, are some of the best pipes almost no one thinks to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.