PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This morning, as I prepared to leave for work, I asked my wife to move the truck for me so I could take the car.

Usually I walk, but had other errands to run today.
Shortly after she went out the front door, I heard something that sounded like my name being shouted.

I stuck my head out the door and saw my wife running across the street to our neighbors house.

He had collapsed into the shrubs and was having what looked to be a heart attack.
I ran over there and helped get him off the shrubs and laid onto the ground.

We told his wife to go grab an aspirin and had him chew that up immediately.

After a couple of minutes, I could tell that this was more of a mini-stroke (TIA) than a heart attack.
The Fire Dept. Paramedics arrived within 5 minutes and the ambulance was only 2 minutes behind.

Since I was on my way to work anyway, I took off and beat them there by enough time to be

the one running his lab tests. It did turn out to be a TIA and he's resting for tonight in ICU.
It must have taken me a full hour, at least, to shake that "amped" feeling.

He's such a great guy and I'm glad that looking up at my mug wasn't his last sight!

At 83 he is still full of spunk and I hope to see him out and about soon.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Thank goodness you got to him quickly. I hope I have a neighbor like you if that ever happens to me.

Jan 8, 2013
Well done to you and your wife Cobguy. I hope your neighbor has a good recovery. I bet he and his wife are glad they have great neighbors.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Those are scary to see. I have been around a few and the people dropped like they had fainted. Good you were there.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thank you so much everyone!
I just returned from a short visit in the ICU and he's feeling much better.
He remembers both going down AND not being able to talk which are good signs of minimal damage.
His nurse said he's already asking to go home. When I asked him about that he

replied, "yeah ... I've gotta finish those shrubs"! :)
Again ... thank you from myself and from Rudy's family.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good work. You had some knowhow and presence of mind to do more than offer moral support.

I'm all for older people living independently if they can. It's just better for them. But sometimes

they get in trouble, and then they need a good neighbor like you.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Way to go!

Its always great to hear a story like this, warms the heart and reminds me of all the good that is out there, hard to do sometimes in this world where we are constantly bombarded with all the negative S%#T in the media.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him, and hats off to you! :clap:

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Excellent job cobguy! I just recently completed a first aid certification course and am glad I did... although I hope I never have to use it! That is something I have always been scared about (not knowing how to help someone who needs it).

Status
Not open for further replies.