PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The full bent GBD apple my daughter picked out in January has been in a box for a few months as I just couldn't get it to smoke well. Pulled it out tonight and went for a lunt. Filled it with my new favorite baccy Bagpipers Dream. (thanks again Peck) and off I went. The pipe smoked beautifully for me with only one relight over 3km, which is amazing for me. It's light and the bend made it hang just perfectly from my mouth. A very enjoyable way to end the weekend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Funny the way different pipes and tobaccos can fall flat the first time or three, and then

just come into bloom, or whatever the image might be. With new pipes, it might be

break-in, or getting enough of a cake to get a pure tobacco experience. Tobacco is

more mysterious. Sometimes it has to dry out until I'm ready to throw it out, and then,

voila! It's delicious.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I agree MSO, I've come to realize that my tobacco smokes best for me when it's almost crispy. As for the pipe I believe I'm just better equipped to enjoy it now.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
People using Lunt, love it.
I tried a lunting down on the National Mall this weekend with my ozark hardwood, it was too windy and the pipe did not burn right. Not very enjoyable. :(
Glad yours worked out!

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm glad you found a good pipe for lunting! I'm considering buying one of the windcap things to put on a MM cob for lunting purposes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to have to try lunting again. I used to do it regularly, but my walk nearly always outlasted my bowlful.

I guess I could take along tobacco for a refill, or even another pipe already loaded, or not. The clean up with

the pipe cleaner could all happen back at the car or at home. Maybe I could organize it so I could smoke a bowl,

walk without smoking for a while, then light up a second bowl for the finale. Light-up can be tricky with a match,

the way I choose to light a pipe, but I became pretty good at it. No more than a few matches per light anyway,

except for really gusty wind. I think a deep bowl will do almost as well as a cap. I have a fine extra large bent

billiard that might just do the trick. The lovely aspect -- no nasty ugly ciggy butts or rumpled cigars left behind.

If you empty the ashes carefully in a fireproof way, on wet ground or down the curbside sewer drain, it's

undetectable, biodegradable, and even soil enriching in its small way.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I enjoyed it immensely , a very relaxing way to end the evening. I got a couple of double takes from the neighbors as I'm in my late thirties and I've never seen another pipe smoker around. But it was all positive, mostly "I haven't seen someone smoking a pipe in years "

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
The lovely aspect -- no nasty ugly ciggy butts or rumpled cigars left behind.
True! I was thinking about this the other day while lunting. Pipes are a handy self-contained mobile smoking apparatus and ash tray in one.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
My best lunting pipes tend to be my group 3 and 4 straight billiards. I find a small straight pipe, carrying a wind screen, to be ideal while hoofing with pipe clenched.

Status
Not open for further replies.