Found Another American Beer To Fall In Love With.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After discovering my local Asda (Walmart owned) stocked the American beer known as Samuel Adams Rebel IPA last year it has been a regular item on my delivery list.
This week I discovered a new American ale, Lagunitas India Pale Ale. Described on the label as being "homicidally hoppy" and "ruthlessly delicious" while coming in at a decent 6.2% abv I thought I'd give it a bash so bought four bottles.
Well I tried it last night and wow, what a cracking ale it is. They claim it is made from 43 different hop varieties (are there so many?) and 65 different malts and boy oh boy is it hoppy......just how I like my ales to be. Perfect for a balmy summer's evening.
I suspect it is as common as muck in the States but such ales are quite a rarity in these parts. This by the way is brewed in the States (California) and not in the UK under licence like some 'American' ales.
If you've never tried it I would heartily recommend you do......it really is sublime :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Lagunitas has quite a few very tasty beers in their line up. I recommend you try them all given the opportunity.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Yeah, Lagunitas is good.
If you like IPA’s, and can get Stone where you are, I highly recommend their IPA mix pack. There are at least two IPA mix packs I’ve seen. Their IPA, Delicious IPA, Ruination double IPA, and Ripper ale (so hoppy you’ll be shocked it’s not an IPA) are fantastic.
Lost Rhino is a local brewery that I’ve been going to since they were local distribution only. Their standard IPA Faceplant is great, as well as their seasonal IPA Icebreaker which is a bit stronger at ~7.5% ABV.
And of course, the holy grail Pliney if you can find it.
Love finding other craft beer drinkers. Summers are my IPA time of the year!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm glad that you like them. That means there are more people out there taking them off the shelf making more room for some porters and stouts for me. I cannot, for the life of me, bring myself to drink an IPA. I've tried and tried again, just can't do it. It takes someone just ran by me and squirted me in the mouth with Lysol. I had one some time ago that had a pine tree on the label of the can. It tasted like someone had put that pine tree IN the can. There's only been one exception. Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. I can drink that. I've only had it once, as you can only buy it at their brewery or maybe just up north, but it was good.
@kickinbears, I can see how an IPA would be a good summer beer, I just can't do it. If I have a good summer beer, I'll likely make it a good Hefe, or maybe even some shandies. Most of the time, you'll find me still ordering a Left Hand Milk Stout in the middle of the August heat.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Oh my this is a deep well of a subject you have stumbled into. The list of fabulous IPA's in the United States right now is loooooooong.
In the EU you don't see much quality probably. Laguntas is solid. Their Little sumptin sumptin is good as well. A hoppy ale stye.
In Cali the holy grail is a beer called Piney the Elder. But in the Midwest their are great breweries like Revolution in Chicago and Brewkettle in Ohio. Midwest is thick with breweries right now. In my city there are 100+ local beer producers.
Carolina there are session IPAs that are closer to 3% alcohol. Much easier on you on hot days.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
^^ ...and there it is again. Good ole Pliny the Elder!
I’m east coast, and it’s tough to get that beer out here. Had my first taste of Pliny at a local beer brew club in NoVA, where I leanerd all sorts of stuff (ever hear of a hop rocket? Whewwwww weeee that makes some floral high note hops!!!).
@cw ... I love stouts; the adult milkshake! I drink LHMS too .. a great beer. Stone’s Imperial Russian stout and Coffee Milk stout, as well as Lost Rhino’s Woody stout (and some seasonal stouts they release) are in my fridge fall - winter.
...and for desert, shall we talk about a good chocolate stout? :twisted: tastiness

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Sorry for typos above. Not sure who “leanard” is, and “dessert” stouts .. not sandy stouts :rofl:

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
kb ever had any Maine Brewery stuff? I have had breakfast and lunch. Never got my hands on Dinner (top rated Ale)
img_8523.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Whew, just the thought of a hop rocket makes my throat close up. If it's too hoppy, I can't do it. Just can't. I know millions out there love them, but I can't handle much hops. I went and played beer poker one weekend at a Flying Saucer. I played 4 rounds and lost every single time, in my opinion. Everything she brought out to me was some sort of IPA. After she brought the fourth one, she was grimacing as she handed it to me and apologizing, since I had already made my opinions clear. She felt so bad she offered to buy me something of anything I wanted, so I said please send me a Duck Rabbit Milk Stout. That was my last round. I played the house and the house won that night.
...and for desert, shall we talk about a good chocolate stout? :twisted: tastiness
We sure shall! If you can find it, Terrapin MooHoo is fantastic! So is Rogue Chocolate Stout and Founder's Breakfast Stout. Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout is pretty delicious too. Damn....now I'm feeling like a run to the beer store.

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Greetings Jay -- I haven't 'seen' you in the last while and I have missed your posts! Glad you like the IPA. One very cool thing in the last 10-15 years has been the steady emergence of many smaller, local craft breweries through the various regions of the US and Canada. It is a pleasure to travel around North America and drink 'locally' as it were. Many great discoveries by doing so :puffy:

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
@ folantor ... never heard of them. I know the guy who owns a wine & chz shop (but who also carries craft only beers) nearby. I’ll ask him if he can score some on a recommendation if he can find it. That pic looks tasty .. has a nice amber color there! Lots of vitamin B12 in that glass!
@cw ... Rogue’s Chocolate stout was exactly what I had in mind! When I want a chocolate stout, thats the exact beer I’m going out to get.
I haven’t had a Youngs Double Chocolate, but I hear it’s great, in case you’re looking for one to try (even better if you have and you can confirm it’s awesomeness)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I haven’t had a Youngs Double Chocolate, but I hear it’s great, in case you’re looking for one to try (even better if you have and you can confirm it’s awesomeness)
I can confirm it's awesomeness. It's also one of my top favorite beers for that type of craving. They actually make a Young's Double Chocolate Stout Float at the Flying Saucer as well. I haven't tried it, but I can only imagine it's good. Chocolate Stout beer and ice cream? Mmmmmmmm

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Good solid choice there. They have a wide distribution network, Stone does as well, so you may be able to find their beers.
Good ole Pliny the Elder
Ehhh, I think Pliny is overrated, it's a solid IPA for sure, but it's feeling a little old fashioned now. Or maybe I built it too far up in my head before I tried it. (I collect breweries, been to over 350 in 2 years in 5 countries), I LOVE the art of beer.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
When it comes to IPAs (90+% of my ales), most of my favorites are true local microbrew products of which most have never heard. When I have to venture up to the larger, more regional breweries, I usually have Boneyard RPM, Ninkasi Total Domination, Laguitas IPA, or 10 Barrel Apocalypse. I guess Hop Valley's Alphadelic might be in that group, although it is not as widely distributed.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I went and played beer poker one weekend at a Flying Saucer."
That has gone right over my head.....'beer poker'?, 'flying saucer'?, heck man, what have you been smoking :nana:
"One very cool thing in the last 10-15 years has been the steady emergence of many smaller, local craft breweries through the various regions of the US and Canada."
Hi Tom, thanks, I'm still hovering around on the edges of the forum. I have actually read about the huge surge in micro breweries popping up in the States and Canada. That is always good to hear. Sadly we only get to see a tiny selection this side of the pond but I have to say, of those I've tried I really enjoyed.
Don't get me wrong, we have a thriving micro brewing industry over here, I just like to be adventurous and reach a little further for my evening tipple.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Notes / Commercial Description:

Thanks for choosing to spend the next few minutes with this special homicidally hoppy ale. Savor the moment as the raging hop character engages the Imperial Qualities of the Malt Foundation in mortal combat on the battlefield of your palate!
From the Lagunitas website. They are in Petaluma, CA, once the chicken capital of the West. A bit N of SF.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"They are in Petaluma, CA, once the chicken capital of the West. A bit N of SF."
John, according to the bottle they also have a base in Chicago, Illinois though that may be their main distribution centre.
Regards,
Jay.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
It’s both actually.
Lagunitas started brewing in Lagunitas, CA (hence the name). They ended up moving to Petaluma, CA to increase production, and setup another brewery in Chicago, IL to expand.
I’m pretty sure that they are building (or have built by now) another brewery in CA to expand again. I think it was slated to be completed this year

Status
Not open for further replies.