PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have been on a self imposed hiatus from buying more pipes because I'm getting bored with a lot of pipes I see, and financially it didn't make good sense at the time.
But lately, PAD reared it leering face, and I've come across a few pipes I knew I couldn't resist. I've already posted about the ebay Ascorti I restored, but I've also found a couple of interesting pipes locally in the antique/junk shops. Usually the shops around here have little to offer, but once in a great while I find something.
This is for me an unusual old Kaywoodie. First the shape is one I've never seen on a Kaywoodie, as is the name. It's stamped "Kaywoodie-Hi-Bowl-Imported Briar". It also has a shape number of H3. It was in fairly clean condition, with just a little oxidation and chatter on the stem, very little cake, and just needed a good cleaning. From what I found out about this pipe, it was part of a series of pipes called Hi-Bowl that had 6 different shapes with different finishes. They were all small straight pipes of about 6 inches. Supposedly they were made between 1961-1966. That's what I've learned so far, and I'm not sure there's more to find on these pipes. This one has a nice square bowl of about 1 1/8" across, with a decent bore of 3/4" at the top, which makes for rather thin walls. The grain is a really nice flame grain on the sides, and there are no fills to be found. It has a 3 hole stinger.
I quite like the looks of this little pipe, but then there's that stinger.... sorry not a fan of stingers.

If I'm wrong about any of the facts above, I'd welcome some comments from the Kaywoodie fans here.

img_00011-600x432.jpg

img_00034-600x385.jpg

img_00052-600x385.jpg

img_00022-600x412.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Orley-

I'm no Kaywoodie expert but I think thats quite a find! I love the shape, and its in great condition.

Here's one for sale on the bay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kaywoodie-Hi-Bowl-H4-Straight-Bulldog-Style-Briar-Estate-Tobacco-Pipe-/181622983281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4992ca71
Don't cut the stinger off if you ever plan to sell it........
Great Pipe and thanks for sharing with us! :clap:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
That is a sweet find, I understand about stingers as I don't care for them either but if it is of the 4 hole variety I think you'll be able to live with it otherwise you might find a donor pipe that has a stem that will fit it then you can hack the singer off that one and keep this one original, win-win, enjoy!

banjo

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, it's a 60s pipe. In nice shape too. I have one like that. It does get hot because of the thin walls at the panel center.
You can cut the stinger forward of the threads and drill it wider if need be. Those typically don't sell for a bunch. I don't think cutting the stinger would affect the value much.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Great looking pipe! These sold for ten bucks in 1963, which put them about in the middle of what was then a pretty large range of models in the Kaywoodie line.

Status
Not open for further replies.