PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhall

Lurker
Jul 20, 2016
So cleaning out my garage when I stumble across this Erinmore flake tin which belonged to my grandfather, I could tell by the weight it was filled with something, (thinking it was screws I set it aside) but later on, when I opened it, I find it to be completely full. Might rehydrate it and give it a try, provided it's safe to smoke?

pipedreamin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
As long as it isn't moldy and doesn't have evidence of having been moldy at some point in its history, you should be fine safety wise. As for taste, well let us know but I'd think the topping would be long gone. Was it sealed?
I've found a quick way to rehydrate the whole tin or just a sample is to put it in a cheesecloth and hold it over the kettle spout for a few seconds, longer if need be. Good luck with it and Welcome!
Edit: I see pstom covered that while I was typing!

tomhall

Lurker
Jul 20, 2016
Yeah it was sealed, Will definitely let you guys know how it smokes, Currently waiting on a new pipe in the mail.

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
Not that I'm an expert on this by any means, but from what I gave read, highly age tobacco degrades rapidly onced exposed to oxygen. Within a few days to weeks, the tobacco can lose a lot of its flavor. I wouldn't wait for a new pipe, smoke it now.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I dont want anyone smoking old tobacco without any flavor so please send to me so I can dispose of it. I am here to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.