PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flake

Lurker
Nov 8, 2018
I was picking up some pipe cleaners at my local brick and mirror which is mostly a cigar store. I found a dunhill nightcap and picked it up for 12 bucks. I am a fairly new smoker and have never smoked it. Thoughts on what to do? Mason jar it or leave it in the tin? I want to try it.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Crack the tin, dry a pipeful if necessary and load up pipe. Many find it strong in the Nic department, but not everyone. Put the rest in a mason type jar.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Smoke it now. Especially since you are fairly new to pipe smoking. It is one of the benchmark English blends, you will have a good starting baseline on what others are talking about when they compare blends to Nightcap.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I'd agree with everyone else. Crack it open and enjoy it. It was the first english that really struck my fancy and every time I enjoy a bowl even to this day it brings me back to those first enjoyable aromas of delving into the english world.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I was lucky like you and found a tin while shopping for another blend. My advice is to open the tin, jar it and smoke it out of the jar. I saved the tin and all the packaging in the event I want to take some to a smoke lounge or bar and don't want to lug around the mason jar.
Happy Smoking!

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Definitely smoke some. Then once it's jarred amoke some more in 6-8 months and it will be really damn good.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
A lot of folks start with Dunhill when it comes to English tobaccos. Nightcap is not bad, the tin note especially.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Resist your impulse for short term pleasure so that you can benefit much more in the long run.
If you are new to smoking then wait to open the tin.
1. Age will do it a great deal of good. The STG Dunhills can be acidic when they are young. After 3 to 4 years they are much smoother but still retain the strength. This allows you to taste the components more distinctly.
2. At this point, you don't have a developed palate for tasting tobacco. Get some experience under your belt. A glass of 30 year old scotch is wasted on the inexperienced.
3. You may well not like Strong Latakia/Oriental blends. In 3 to 4 years, that tin will have very good trade value for a Virginia or Aromatic that you do like. If you do trade it then putting it in a jar will greatly Reduce its trade value.
I could go on with additional reasons as to why you should wait to open it but if these 3 are not enought then no amount will be.

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
your lucky to have found that tin. I-am very new to pipes and I wish I could have got some nightcap before it was discontinued. I did pick up some Dunhill to try yesterday at the pipes and cigars web site sale.
That old lesson of you snooze,you lose comes back to haunt me.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.