PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Just flew back to Baltimore from Texas this morning. Did a ten day vacation, visiting friends in Houston, San Antonio and Austin, Went shopping in Houston Monday afternoon and stumbled upon The Briar Shoppe. Nice place, decent selection; picked up a tin of Dunhill Elizabethan, along with a couple bulk aros, Black Cordial and Bourbon. Anybody else on the forum shop there ?

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yeah. When I lived in Houston I would shop there all the time. Very nice place. You should try Downing Street Cigar Bar on Kirby too. Nice place to have a smoke and some Scotch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Let us know how you like the Dunhill Elizabethan. I have a tin aging. Just opened a different Virginia, an aro from Brebbia, so

it will be a while for me. I've heard good things. I'm glad Houston is supporting a good pipe shop. Pipe shops are like

independent book stores; they need support and cultivation. When they're gone, they tend not to come back, or they move

to the boonies and do most of their business online. Like the classic Wilkes moving from Manhattan (where they were the

pipe shop for Walter Cronkite, a Forums member discovered) ... to Vermont, where they still sell Cronkite's Mixture 72.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Yes. I live in Sugar Land, TX about 15 miles from the Briar Shoppe in Rice Village. They have only women working behind the counter and a few really do not know that much about their inventory. Finally, they are very expensive. I pay $9.25 for a 50g tin on smokingpipes.com and $13.00 at the Briar Shoppe.
There is a better B&M in Houston called the Lone Star. They are a ways from the inner loop like the Briar Shoppe but this shop is run more like a traditional Pipe and Cigar shop.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Good to know... I am in Houston every summer.. I will have to check it out! Thanks for posting.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I'm smoking a bowl of Elizabethan right now. It's good, but ironically the bulk "match"(Altadis ?) I bought some time ago at a mall here in Baltimore (White Marsh) ,I actually enjoyed a bit more. The Bourbon aromatic I bought in Houston was good also; my wife described the room note as cigar like.

Status
Not open for further replies.