PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
I'm totally new to pipe smoking but have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I only have two pipes right now and they are both Missouri Meerschaum cobs, ones a legend the other an original. After the first bowl or two in the legend it started tasting foul and after one bowl in the original. So foul that a hazelnut blend I was trying out was totally over powered by the foulness. Tonight I went and bought a small bottle of Everclear and used my pipe cleaners to dipped in it to clean the bowls and stems. Was this an ok idea or should I try something different next time? Thanks for any and all help!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
If they r brand new mate, they should not taste foul. I suspect there may be some glue burning off or perhaps the extra on the shank, inside the bowl may be starting to char. Patience and all will go away in a few more smokes. Are you puffing too hard and heating them up too much?

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Remove and check the stem. Is there a filter in there? Chances are, yes.
The general consensus is: toss the filter. You don't need it. After removing it, your cob should taste much, much better.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
It was more of a "relight old cigarette" foul. It does get fairly warm when I smoke it maybe I am puffing to hard? And I do plan to smoke it without the filter now.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
I just smoked my original after having cleaned it with alcohol a few hours ago and it was the best smoke i've had so far. I didn't use a filter but I did have a screen in. Only negative thing about the smoke was after I got about halfway thru it stopped staying lit for more then a moment, maybe i had the bottom layer packed way to tightly?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, that screen is a pain for sure. If you don't want to use a filter that is cool. Here is a tip for you.

Cut a 2 inch piece off a pipe cleaner. Fold it in half gently and insert in place of filter. Works super!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
+1 to all comments above
I wrote the rock maple filter thread, but I actually have started to use fishers rolled paper suggestion more frequently. I works fine, 1x2 inch piece works great for me.
You should have to clean your cob with everclear right at the beginning.
Sometimes they do have some stain or coating o the inside of the bowl you have to burn out, itll taste bad but goes away, just keep trying

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Neither of my cobs had a funny taste, but I seem to remember another post a while back about something funky burning off in a cob. After 3 or 4 smokes it was gone, if I recall. The alcohol cleaning probably will help, but I wouldn't overdo it or you could get the bowl soggy.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
When you look down inside the bowl you will see an angled portion on the stem that sticks into the bowl. My first pipe years ago was a legend as well and it was right after I stopped smoking cigs. I was puffing like when smoking cigs and was burning that angled stub along with the tobacco. My guess is you are doing same. Cobs shouldn't get hot just warm.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
Thanks everyone for the responses. What's the negative effect of using a screen? I will also try using pipe cleaner as filter. Also I saw a thread where you can cut out the stem that sticks into the bowl but you have to put an ash "cement" in the bottom? And I will read that primer tonight for sure!

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I smoked my first cob too fast and hot; it developed a burnt odor since I burned part to the wooden shank on the inside of the bowl. I have two others that I smoke now. I try to smoke slow and not get them overly hot; they're some of my favorite pipes.

matts26

Lurker
May 17, 2012
i try to smoke it light and slow lank and dumb question but should your mouth be totally closed around pipe or partially open when you take a puff? I've done both ways seem ok either way...once again I do feel kinda... dumb for asking that...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The only dumb question is the one not asked. The trick is to enjoy the smoke, so using your mouth to add cool air while you smoke is perfectly ok. you will certainly get the hang of what works for you after a few smokes. You will get more concentrated smoke if you draw with the mouth closed, of course, so don't suck too hard or you may heat the pipe up like a furnace. Sip slow and easy and let it roll across the tongue. You can't go wrong.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Should be like Wine Tasting, slow gentle sip, rolling the smoke around the mouth and tounge, some trickles out of the mouth, some out of the nose(not good in wine tasting tho. lol). It will become a no thought process as time goes on.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Very helpful thread!

About to purchase a couple MM and this might help me avoid the same problem or know how to address it were it to arise.

tarnold

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
I smoked my first cob too fast and hot; it developed a burnt odor since I burned part to the wooden shank on the inside of the bowl. I have two others that I smoke now. I try to smoke slow and not get them overly hot; they're some of my favorite pipes.
lankfordjl I'm a newbie and I think I may have done what you are describing here. I can see char on the shank end inside the bowl of my Missouri Meerschaum and all I smell and taste is something burnt like an old campfire. First smoke was Tinder Box honey maple and I had 3 bowls that night. My brother in law and I really enjoyed it. A few times during the smokes I felt the bowl getting a little hotter but was not sure if it was too hot or not. About 4 days later I tried Captain Black white pouch as I was able to find it closer to home and read it's a pretty big seller.
I'm not sure whether I just dislike the CB compared to the Honey Maple or if it is the pipe? The bowl smells like an old campfire even after cleaning with pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol and getting rid of the old filter. I've also got headaches both times I've smoked the CB and an awful aftertaste that lingers forever. Did not experience this with the Honey Maple.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Different tobacco, cleaning method, discard pipe, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.