PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I've never bought from eBay until recently. Received the pipe in the mail today and low and behold I found some Dino bones! Reaming a pipe that is smoked often is a completely different ball game compared to this stuff. I opted to break out a few of my wood chisels to help scrape out the larger chunks. I plan to finish reaming with my Czech tool.
My question is, what is your go to method for taking on fossilized cake?

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I use a Castleford Pipe Reamer (5 piece set) starting with the smallest and working my way up to the largest , always keeping it in the center of the chamber so not to cause gouging or making the bowl out of round . Ending off with sandpaper(400 grit) wrapped around a finger to smooth things out.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I actually used a 3/4" twist drill bit once. Turned by hand, of course. I myself do not partake of the estate pipe market, but I have a friend who does. The cake in one he bought was extremely hard, with only the pencil-sized hole down the middle one often hears about. He was getting nowhere with his reamer set, so we had to get a little more agressive. It worked very well; after drilling a hole almost to the bottom of the cake, the regular reamer finished the job quite nicely.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Sometimes if you do a salt treatment (sea salt and alcohol) in the bowl and let it set for several days the cake will soften somewhat and make it a lot less likely to damage the bowl with the reamer. You can gouge up a bowl pretty easily especially with a new reamer. Having the cake a little softer makes getting it out a lot easier. The salt treatment also pull out the dissolved oils and tar and will eliminate or reduce ghosting from past tobaccos.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I put a bit of pipe refresher in it to soften it up bit was still hard. That's when I switch to the wood working tools.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Agg I" m gonna put this out and I never tried it, some fellow a long time ago said he filled his pipe with Coca-Cola and it ate up the coke. Never tried it, but put a piece of meat in coke and it will dissolve it . Don't see how it would hurt.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Download-File

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I never tried it, some fellow a long time ago said he filled his pipe with Coca-Cola and it ate up the coke.
One of my favorite solvents. Never drink the stuff, but it's very handy for getting off caked-on oils.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I just want to mention, a good knife...if the cake is thick, may chunk it off. Made my life easier on a current project with a pencil thin hole. So, if you don't have a reamer, a knife with care and patience is great.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Noticed above a mention to sea salt. I tried it once but was far less effective compared to coarse kosher salt.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
olive oil will soften up the cake and make it easier to remove.
Sounds like a good plan, Sablebrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.