Tags:  No tags yet. 

Forum Update Idea:. Recommend and Flag posts

(35 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by samcoffeeman
  • Latest reply from Nate
  1. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Login to Send PM

So I go to another sports related blog/forum and in the comments section, you can Recommend(Rec) a post and also Flag a post. When you Rec a post it changes color and great posts get a lot of Recs which is pretty cool. You can also Flag a post if you think it is offensive or inflammatory, which would then notify a Mod to check it out. This could possibly prevent some of the occasional disaster threads that are an unfortunate inevitability in this open forum. The website this is from is on SBNation.com, which hosts sites for every professional sports team. I happen to frequent bleedinggreennation.com, the (unaffiliated)Philadelphia Eagles site under SBNation.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would mean upgrading software... won't happen. Everyone here, for the most part, is all about status quo. I get that, but "upgrades" are a good thing. Wrong crowd though.

Sorry Coffeeman, but your post has been flagged

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's why I stay away from the open discussion threads. I joined this forum to talk about pipes and tobacco, and it's hard to offend someone by such. The general discussions are the ones that people get irritated about... I was thinking too that some one could literally become a preferred member while never talking about pipes or tobacco...

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd like the ability to actively flag threads I want to not miss as well those I'd prefer to "miss".

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This forum is my favorite pipe smoking forum and I've participated in ones from Spain, Argentina, France, England, the USA, etc. Upgrades aren't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm happy enough the way things are.

pipesmagazine is also the most active forum I've visited as there are always new and interesting threads to read. Other forums can take days for just a few comments to appear.

Thanks to all the pipe smokers, sponsors and owners of this site for the valuable community we have created here.

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hear we go

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it were easy and no expense, the recommendations are good ones. It's a balancing act between have a good site with features and keeping it profitable enough to make it worth Kevin & Company's time/money. I think the mods do a workmanlike job at clearing the clunker posts, and you can somewhat detect the recommendations by the number of posts. There is much to commend simplicity. But I like the creative suggestion, and if this became easy, in terms of software and time, which sometimes software can do with upgrading, it's good to keep in mind.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of us can't self-censor. Imagine being able to flag other members' posts as offensive! The mods we have do a great job of allowing us to walk the tightrope now and then. I can sic the mods onto a suspect thread with a PM if I feel it necessary. Flagging seems redundant.

As an aside, tobacco threads sometimes go sideways. As do tobacco legislation posts. Even pipe threads get a bit testy now and then.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far as content and membership goes, this is The Forum. It's epic. Technologically speaking, it verges on arcane. I'm not complaining, just calling it. I understand the reasons quite well. Just sayin'

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ah, Nate, you forgot the italics...

Eric
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now the italics thing catches on. I'm thrilled.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Be careful my emotions are fragile. .....that's pronounced fra-gee-lay

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

All I have too say is..... OUI. Nate understands me...lol
    There must be a coffee forum for coffeeman.
    KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. randelli

randelli

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are italics similar to purple font?

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

KG5QDZ
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The idea was to use italics to imply a sarcastic tone. Intonation is an important part of communication that can be the cause for misunderstandings in textual communication... so thought italics might be the answer. Alas ''twas not so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, I hope my intonation wasn't interpreted incorrectly. I was intoning a smart-ass remark. The italics was just a diversion my juvenile brain couldn't pass up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm eating cottage cheese

So that's what it feels like huh?

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You done intoned just fine digger. Our juvenile brains are on the same wavelength.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MAKE PIPESMAGAZINE.COM GREAT AGAIN

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Build a firewall and charge the FDA for it!

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it ain't broke... don't fix it. Seriously though, I think most are happy with the layout of the forum. Personally, I can see how the above mentioned changes might be good, but I also see how they might be unwelcome or unnecessary. I was an admin for a site a few years ago, and I can assure you if a topic has gone south, any moderator that might be online would be getting half about a dozen private messages alerting them to topic or member that has gone outlaw... and a sheriff or his deputies will be enforcing county law lickity split. So when there's a private message option, there's no real need of a post flagging option in my opinion.

Recommending posts options can also be nice.... but I've been on forums that used them. Sometimes, what happens is a veteran member might post something and said member is well liked and established and that post automatically gets a ton of recommendations, as well as other posts by the same member or other members of the same standing. Meanwhile, Totalnewbiemember66 might have just made a remarkable post that would just be a joy to read or create a great dialogue between other members. Unfortunately though, this post doesn't get recommended as much and quickly falls down to the bottom of the page or to the next page where it might not even be seen. Totalnewbiemember66 feels discouraged, and after a couple similar experiences might feel left out and leave the forum. I'd hate to hurt Totalnewbiemember66's feelings.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dig it the way it is. It's easy to use and it loads fast. That's all I need. There's nothing to hinder me from interacting as much as I want on my phone or computer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dig it the way it is. It's easy to use and it loads fast. That's all I need.

+1

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are people that would like to see improvements and others that are fine with the way it is. The simple fact is that either way, it's not going to stop people from coming to or using the site.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do check out forums for other things, and I don't like it when they get too complicated with buttons and colors and bells and whistles. I like this one just a tad better than jotting my comment on a card and mailing it in. I'm not sure where to put the italics.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Besides, our mods do a great job of running down stray lambs, without me having to point them out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. robwoodall

robwoodall

Login to Send PM

Here's an idea that I had. Less subdivision of tobacco topics.

See, at the bottom of the "Main Themes" list is "General Discussion." That's where most (certainly not all) of the off-topic stuff is gonna show up, and that's fine. It's just that I have no interest in that section.

Problem (for me) is that, above "General Discussion," there are roughly a million pipe-related topics that I am interested in. If I individually select each and every one of the pipe-related topics, it's gonna take forever. However, if I DON'T select a pipe-related topic I have many off-topic posts mixed in with the on-topic posts.

Below the "Sticky" section, there is a list of the 70 or so posts with the most recent activity. I love that, I just wish there weren't so many off-topic posts among them. I would love for the "Main Themes" to be listed as "Pipe-Related" and "Non-Pipe-Related."

I would click "Pipe-Related," and be presented with a list of 70 or so pipe-related posts, and would only see the non-pipe-related stuff when I chose to.

I like this solution, because people who wanted to see every post would not change anything, but those of us who wanted to exclude the off-topic stuff could do so with a single click.

Of course, I then wouldn't have seen this post...

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only ever see one forum, and that is here - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/
    where is are these "General Discussion" forums at?
    I had someone ask me which pipesmagazine forum that I follow, I had to say that I didn't even understand the question.
    What am I missing?

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. robwoodall

robwoodall

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that's it, Cosmic.

Right under the word "Forums" is a list of "Main Topics:" General Pipe Smoking Discussions, Pipe Smoking Basics and Beginner Questions, Pipe & Accessories for Trade/Sell, etc. At the bottom of that list is the section called "General Discussion."

You can click on either of those and ONLY see that topic or, more commonly, one can roll down the page to "Latest Discussions." That's what I do, which lets me see the 70 or so posts that have had the most recent activity.

Most of the times I don't want to specify whether I'm interested in "Beginner Questions" or "Pipes and Accessories" because I'm generally interested in both those topics. I'm a lot less likely to be interested in "General Discussion."

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just go to the Forum homepage and let it roll. I can click on a topic, and if it doesn't interest me, I can move on.

The site works just fine for narrow bandwidth brain power. My job is extremely technical.....this site is not. A perfect match.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My opinion, this site is fine just the way it is! The graphic user interface ( GUI ) is easy too navigate even for a novice.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing I'd really like to change would be loading photos. I would like to be able to load a photo directly to the post from my photo album with one or two clicks. No photobucket or other middle-man software needed.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No photobucket or other middle-man software needed.

I'll throw an amen on that. There ought to be someway to get this to happen without having to buy a HUGE mega server.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing I'd really like to change would be loading photos. I would like to be able to load a photo directly to the post from my photo album with one or two clicks. No photobucket or other middle-man software needed.

Once it's in your album here, you just need to Option click for Mac or right click with Windows, copy the URL, then paste it in the IMG tag. Pretty much two clicks and keyboard copying and pasting. The drawback is getting the photo into your album, and the small size permitted. That's why I like Imgur.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To those are saying "this is site is great, but...." all of these things like posting images and posting "likes" are covered by Tapatalk, an app for phones which makes forums sooooooo much easier to read and participate in, all the while leaving it as is for those opting for HTML interface. It makes interface far easier and allows for so many more options. Will it happen? Not a chance in hell. Status quo it is.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   the85boro, bluegrassbrian, lawdawg, voorhees, civilwar, orlandofurioso, generalzod, didimauw, curl, sablebrush52, lightmybriar