Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Formal Intro and Request for Recommendations

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ctron

Login to Send PM

Good Evening all, I'll try to keep this one short. I'm one of the college age pipe smokers that have been talked about around here for awhile. To formally introduce myself I'm 18 and a Navy Midshipman here at my college, looking forward to entering the Navy after college but I have a long road ahead of me.

Now here at college my campus is the last state school in Mass to allow tobacco on campus but I still only smoke about once a week, if that. I am just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a tobacco that has a lot of flavor, I'm not partially to any form of tobacco aromatic, english or virginia, I'm still trying everything. A lot of tobaccos are labeled as " all day smoke" which seems to translate to mellow and mild, I am not really interested in those because I smoke so rarely. My experience is limited to Mac Barens Navy flake, and Virginia Flake, McClellands Frog Morton on the town, black shag and Virginia woods, though I haven't opened the Virginia woods, Escudo, and CAO moontrance. I am within walking distance to The Owl Shop in Worcester so access is not an issue. Thanks for any recommendations!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. mp31guitar

mp31guitar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd recommend Dunhill Flake and Lane 1Q. Although I'm sure others have better suggestions. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get thee to Peretti's in Boston. Lots of great blends to try.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're after full flavor, interesting, memorable blends then I would recommend GL Pease's Haddo's Delight, Rattray's Marlin Flake, and Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake. You may also want to try Peterson's Irish Oak, Erinmore Flake, and Peterson's University Flake.

Open up that tin of Escudo!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like Latakia and want a full, rich, Lat heavy blend, I'd say Boswell Northwoods. It's a very good blend! You might want to look at Dunhill Nightcap as well.
    Welcome to the forum!

Dan

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. jgriff

jgriff

Login to Send PM

I'll second the Escudo and Nightcap recommendations. Their flavor characteristics are huge and forward. The Lakeland-oriented stuff like 1792 would probably qualify but I probably wouldn't start there as they are love it or hate it but Escudo and Nightcap are "safe bets".

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For starters there is always the trusted standbys of Lanes 1Q and FM Cellar, but I would also recommend Dunhill Flake and MacBaren's No.1 Virginia, good luck with your new journey.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for Haddo's Delight. Great stuff.

I'll add GLPease's "Key Largo" as well. Very full flavor! A little sweet, rich, creamy even. Smoky from Latakia and earthy from cigar leaf. It's also a great intro to cigars if you haven't had any, or a better transition into pipes if you have!

Welcome aboard, happy smoking.

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum..As far as blends to try there's a ton of them.If you liked On The Town but want something with more heft to it.Frog Morton is one answer.It's by no means the only one though.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hell Ctron and welcome to PM Forums!

My daughter did her undergraduate work at Clark while my then future son-in-law studied electrical engineering at Worcester Poly Tech, so I'm quite familiar with "The Owl."

Sounds to me like you've sample a fairly good range of pipe tobacco genres already -- at least enough to know which types you prefer.

I recommend you chat with the fine folks at The Owl Shop, tell them what blends you've tried and which blends you enjoyed the most. The Owl has been hand blending their own pipe tobaccos for 80 years or more and they offer some really good, high quality stuff. It's been a while, but IIRC, the "two towers" were among my favorites -- Harkness Tower (The Owl's version of the original Balkan Sobranie) and the the Bancroft Tower (a really nice virginia flake).

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. murf

murf

Login to Send PM

I'm a big fan of Peterson's Irish Flake. Bold and strong. The nicotine will hit hard if you're not careful

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi there, since you've already received some wonderful advice and have access to a high quality tobacconist, this post is just to say, "Greetings!"

Welcome to the forums Ctron. I look forward to your posts.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Almost all blends are based on Virginia leaf. To start, I would recommend any straight Virginia tobacco such as GL Pease Union Square just to see what the foundations are like.

Smoke slowly and keep the pipe clean.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

ctron

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the advice! I am trying to get out to Boston, most likely will happen over winter break and I will definitely stop into Peretti's. Roth, I will talk to the guys down at the Owl shop on my next trip.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Try Ashton winding road

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ct - The Owl Shop there does a bunch of their own blends, which you can sample from their jars. They sell them an ounce at a time, so that you can try one or several bowls without having to commit to having more of a blend on hand than you would want. That way, you can survey the landscape of tobaccoland. About the only genre you would not find there that way are the Lakelands.

hp
    les

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome ctron!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard sailor! Glad to have you here.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome sailor! I'm still relatively new as well (a few months) and you simply can't go wrong with the Dunhill flake if that's all you smoke at the present time. Ritualistically, it's also more fun: the preparation of the flake, measuring it just right for your pipe, lighting up that wonderful flake. Enjoy and glad to have you on board!

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

t - The Owl Shop there does a bunch of their own blends, which you can sample from their jars. They sell them an ounce at a time, so that you can try one or several bowls without having to commit to having more of a blend on hand than you would want. That way, you can survey the landscape of tobaccoland. About the only genre you would not find there that way are the Lakelands.

LOL Les! To say the boys at The Owl don't care for Lakelands is an understatement. Works for me though.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, achtman, cornedbeef, newbroom