PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
My spring break vacation to Florida ended in a bit of a disaster. I was due to fly home Wednesday evening, but because of the storm in my neck of the woods, the flight was canceled. I spent three hours trying to get a flight back for four on different airlines, and the best I could do was March 20th (!) Every airline was fully booked for March break travel. Well, I have this thing called a job and the kids have school and a hockey tournament this weekend, so staying in Florida until March 20th wasn't in the cards, as much as that would have been awesome (the weather was stunning). In any event, I rented a car and drove all the way to to the Buffalo airport I flew out of last week. It was about 21 hours of driving, spread over about 40 hours. Wasn't real pleasant.
In any event, as I was driving back I stopped at JR Cigars in Statesville NC and ended up buying two boxes of Diamond Crown cigars. I haven't smoked cigars in awhile, but I used to be really into them, and in fact I have a humidor with active humidification with a fair bit of space, so I decided to pick some up. I had one tonight, a Diamond Crown Maximus Robusto, and I have to say, it was really delicious. Not giving up the pipe, but this was a nice change of pace.

reap

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
I've only had the opportunity to enjoy one fine cigar, and it was incredible. I don't think anyone can blame you for enjoying the odd cigar. Just as long as it doesn't become a habit. ;) Actually I often think of trying them but bang for the buck goes to pipe tobacco. Sounds like quite the trip, glad you made it home safe.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
You can't be blamed for enjoying a good cigar. When I walked away, I never looked back. Gave my humidors to a friend. But I wouldn't turn one down if offered. Enjoy them.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I haven't, truly, enjoyed cigars beyond the few celebratory Cohibas indulged in on holidays and at stags. To be fair, most of the cigars I've had were too intense for me to enjoy. brdavidson gifted me with a little "dog walker" cigar for my birthday, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. I don't think it will lead me astray from pipe smoking, but I understand the desire to diversify, Peck.
Welcome home, by the by, thanks for bringing the heat wave with you. +7 today! Woo hoo!
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Heh, it was delicious. I bought them because I heard a few guys on here extoll the virtues of the brand. From a Canadian perspective, they were pretty inexpensive as well. I bought a box of 20 of the Maximus Churchills for a bit less than $300 and a box of 20 of the Maximus Robusto #2s for around $200. For that price on a per stick basis, you sure don't get much up here in Canada, and to my taste, this is indeed a world class cigar and certainly as good as most Cubans I have ever smoked.

Dec 24, 2012
Heh heh, I don't smoke in the car in any event with two small kids. But yeah, the rental car sucked. It was a Chevy Equinox. I am sure it is a fine vehicle for the right person and purpose, but my wife and I thought the seats were incredibly uncomfortable and the car didn't really work for my 6' 4" frame. More than that, I think my lawnmower has more horsepower.
In any event, it was nice to arrive home this morning and find three new pipes waiting for me (one of which I have posted - My Rad Davis Calabash). Always nice to come home to new pipes.

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, while I was down there I stopped at Bennington's in Boca Raton. It was a neat little store. The old guy at the counter was no ball of fire though. Part of the fun for me in visiting a tobacconist is the discourse with the guy behind the counter, and I just wasn't feeling the camaraderie. I was in a Johnny Cash t-shirt and old shorts and I felt like the guy was watching me every moment to make sure I didn't steal anything, lol. In any event, I tried to strike up a conversation about pipes with the old guy but fell flat on my face. I did buy a tin of tobacco and had a bowl in the lounge. They did have some nice pipes, including several by well known artisans. If I had connected with the guy, I probably could have been convinced to buy one, but the whole experience just felt a bit uneasy. It was very odd.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sorry to hear about the travel travails. Nothing worse than getting stranded with small children. I hope no one was screwing the pooch in the passing lane on the way back (pity be upon them).
Reminds me of the time when my wife and I got stranded in Ireland. There was a storm in the Irish Sea and Princess Cruises decided "Meh, there's a storm. Guess we won't pick up those 5 passengers embarking from Dublin after all." Before you can say Erin go Bragh (actually, something a bit saltier) my wife had booked us on the next flight out of Dublin -- leaving in less than an hour. Our cabbie got the biggest tip of his life after doing 90+ on the M1 from the docks to the airport. I don't remember ever being so happy to get back home.

Jan 8, 2013
Gotta love it when people treat you like a sideshow criminal. I'm with you though, that will generally prevent me from doing business somewhere.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
JR is worth a stop for pipe smokers too. They usually have about the lowest prices on tins, Dunhill and other name brands,

and the lowest prices on cans of OTC's, like Granger, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, and Half and Half. I make a pilgrimage to

the JR off 95 near Smithfield NC about twice a year. The only shortcoming is the pipes are in a glass cabinet, and you really

can't see much of what they have without a salesperson, so if you aren't sure you're ready to buy a particular pipe, browsing

isn't so relaxed. But the staff is helpful and the inventory impressive. The rest of the outlet is unique, reminds me a little

of a market in Mexico.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It sucks you got stranded, and about the bad B&M experience Peck, but at least you had some goodies waiting for you when you got home!

And by the way, ain't nothin' wrong with a good cigar now and then! I like to indulge once in a while myself.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Vacations like that go down in the history book to be taken out in 20 years and laughed at . . . but a long car ride in a rental, with 2 young kids, and bad weather sounds pretty close to hell.
Glad you survived and welcome back!

Aug 14, 2012
This reminds me of my uncle Al, a former WWII marine sergeant. A lifetime cigar smoker, Al lived in LA. One day, when he was almost 80, he threw his decrepit girlfriend into the jeep and drove to NYC to visit me. When he complained about the tough drive, I asked why he didn't fly. Al started pulling guns out from under the front seat, there were quite a few, and said "because you can't fly with these." My uncle bought some of the strongest cigars he could find, and offered me one. He was being a jerk, and trying to get me sick. I lit up and the cigar started to burn unevenly down one side. He watched me put a dab of saliva on the hotspot, a trick only veteran cigar smokers know, to even the burn. Then I mentioned that I used to have a humidor in Dunhill's on Fifth Ave in New York, to age my cigars, and it was next to governor Rockefeller's. Was sorry to deprive an old trickster of a cheap laugh. I could probably write a short novel about that old guy.

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, it was one for the history books, for sure.
Gotta love it when people treat you like a sideshow criminal. I'm with you though, that will generally prevent me from doing business somewhere.
To clarify, the gentleman didn't do anything outwardly to treat me in that way. For all I know, it was all completely in my head. It's hard to explain, but you know how sometimes you get strange vibes, and you just don't feel welcome in an establishment, and every time you glance at the clerk he's watching you. Well, that's what I was perceiving, but who knows, it may have been the hot sun. I would still go back if I am in the area. The lounge was a nice place to have a smoke.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
, but you know how sometimes you get strange vibes, and you just don't feel welcome in an establishment,
That's how I felt in Peretti's last year, and then I remembered I was in Boston.
-- Pat

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Your sixth sense is always right, Peckster. I'd go back too, see if he'd warm to you. Glad you're safe and sound at home.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Glad to have ya back here peck! Sorry to hear about that plane mishap, but like the others said. One you will remember forever!

-john

Status
Not open for further replies.