PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2018
My wife is thinking about getting me one of those forever match lighters. Has anybody used one with their pipe before? And if so how did it work out?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It is not a lighter. I have a couple in survival packs. I suppose they could be used for igniting tobacco. But, they are more a match with a large flame, than a lighter and are designed to torch off a fire. It's simply a wee bit of fluff soaking in lighter fluid. The flame is not adjustable.Might be a conversation starter in a social setting.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
thehairlessviking what's a forever match lighter?
ezgif.com-video-to-gif_12.gif

My brother gifted me one when I was a cigarette smoker. After a while it started leaking, then broke down. Not very reliable and I agree with warren.

I ordered one, and got a dozen of them when they arrived. I gave a bunch away as gifts. They are a nifty way to light your pipe, but after a while when the wick burns down, pulling the flint out to expose more wick, they just don't stay together anymore. The flints go flying out, or just crumble apart from the staff as you flick them along the side bar thingy. The thin metal of the staff part that holds the flint and wick gets wallowed out after you adjust the wick. So, I propose they be called one month matches instead of forever matches.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
^^^ Yep, on what Cosmic said. I still have one around somewhere. Try one out and see for yourself. They are pretty inexpensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.