PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronsharp

Lurker
Aug 27, 2017
I recently found a strip of a black rubber-like material in a ton of Orlik Golden Flake. It was about two inches long and the same dimensions of the strands of tobacco that it was flaked with. Obviously was introduced early in production and made it all the way through. I also smoked a tiny bit of it, I now realize. Any similar experiences? How did this get in there?

-Aaron

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi, Aaron! Welcome to the forums. :clap:

It's probably a good idea to inspect what you're putting in the bowl.

Sounds like the contaminant got layered-in with the leaf before pressing and slicing.

It's happened before: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/strange-item-in-my-new-tin-of-larrys-blend

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
The worst I have found in my tobacco is a long tobacco stem; however, due to the nature in which tobacco is harvested and processed I guess from time to time strange items could make their way into our smoking mixtures.
It would be interesting to hear from those who work on the manufacturing side as I would not be surprised that they have seen some even stranger items intermixed with the raw leaf.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm sorry to say there are permissible levels of rat droppings in peanut butter. I doubt the regs are worded that way, but stuff happens, and sometimes it ends up in our food and pipe tobacco. Equally troubling are undetectable materials that might include pesticide, varnish or motor oil, and other such things, which are bad enough in themselves but create all kinds of exotic chemicals, possibly dozens of them, when burnt. So use your nose, eyes, and taste buds, and if something isn't right, it may be wise not to smoke it. The mammalian body, including our own, is capable of handling all kinds of unintended substances and does so over decades for most adults. Just be alert and don't press your luck, would be my advice.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I cringe at the thought of what's gone into my mouth over my many years. Living in NYC "The Big Cesspool" all my life, I can only guess at what passed by my tonsils. When I was a boy, the "5 second rule" was alive and well in my world. But, I'm still here.
Finding rubber and ropes in pipe tobacco, annoying. Finding a mouse/roach in your Big Mac, not so good. It's all relative.
Frank

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I once found a nice chunk of netting in a tine of Squadron Leader. I smoked it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.