PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’ve always been interested in all things old west (probably watched too many westerns as a kid). If authentic, which it appears to be, this is only the 2nd known photo of Billy the Kid. The other well known photo sold for $2 million at auction.
Is this Billy the Kid? Historian claims new photo shows the legendary American gunman
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2406546/Is-Billy-Kid-Historian-claims-new-photo-shows-legendary-American-gunman.html

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I'm no historian, but the facial features look pretty close as far as I can tell. Obviously hard to say from the photos of the time though. Very interesting..... I think I need to watch "Young Guns" again now.

B

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Looks very close. Here are some other pics - I have lots of Family out there in New Mexico and I periodically go out to his grave site - where he was visiting his woman and got shot in the back.
9h6zkrd.jpg

56F7K8u.jpg

Ei5EdvS.jpg

NQ4Fybb.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I think I need to watch "Young Guns" again now.
The Young Guns movies are really good. In fact (and I realize this is blasphemous) but imo they are both better than the Peckinpah film.
@pylorns: Wonderful pics! Thanks so much for sharing those. Even his grave marker keeps escaping. :lol:

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I have a Time Life Book called "Guns of the Gunfighters" and it shows a different picture of Doc Holiday than I've seen with other sources. I guess you can take your pic just like with the photos of Billy the Kid. One thing's for sure. All the photos I've seen of John Wesley Hardin have been the same from his youth till the famous shot of him lying on the floor with a bullet though his chest and his head that came out his eye.
Holiday's picture in that book I mentioned looks like the one on the top right whereby others have looked like the one to the left of it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+did+doc+holiday+look+like&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Holiday's picture in that book I mentioned looks like the one on the top right whereby others have looked like the one to the left of it.
Yeah, it’s interesting how different some of those pics look. The one on the left almost looks like a drawing.
There is some interesting info on this page regarding the controversy surrounding that photo:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Doc_Holliday.jpg
Did he just say what I thought he said?
lol ... One thing’s for sure, I wouldn’t say that in a room full of Peckinpah fans armed with six shooters. Actually, I do like the Peckinpah movie, and it may be a toss up between it and the first Young Guns...but YG2 is definitely the best of the 3 imo. It’s one of the rare sequels that is even better than the first.
I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that Peckinpah had problems with the studio when he made that movie. I don’t remember the details, but I don’t think it turned out the way he wanted it to.
For history's sake I hope its genuine.
It looks genuine, but strange it just turns up after all these years...I’m guessing whoever owns it may want to sell it. It would have been unimaginable to anyone at the time that famous photo of him was taken to think it would someday sell for $2 million dollars. It’s almost unimaginable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.