For those familiar with Steve Books' "Grandfather's Own" (House of Calabash)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
Hi All,

For those who have smoked Grandfather's Own, can you suggest a suitable replacement?
It doesn't have to be the same, just magical.
Thanks,
V

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I was a big fan of every blend of Mr. Books that I ever tried, but ordering (and price) became a problem for me.
However, in answer to your question - I thought the seasonal blend Yuletide from Peretti's was kind of a magical aromatic.
I look forward to more opinions.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I'm curious and not trying to instigate. Did they really charge hundreds of dollars for a pound?

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Cally
He had one or two if I remember right that came out exuberant. Never bought them. I did pay 100 or so a pound for the Irishmans though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
He used to work at Rich's in Portland. Last time I was there they were still making and selling a lot of the blends that Steven Books concocted including Grandfathers Own. I would give them a call to see if you can order some by mail. It may be under a slightly different name.

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
Bumping this thread in hopes for more suggestions on the original post.
jerry, I looked for Yuletide from Peretti on their site and didn't seem to be avaiilable? Also, I think your link is outdated, the last one i saw ended with "-5" and couldn't get an order filled.
Anyway - hoping to find a happy alternative to Grandfather's Own!
Thanks,
Paul V

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Did you contact Rich's, as Hawky said? Wondering what the outcome of that inquiry was. All this buzz makes me want to try it. lol

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
He parted ways with Rich's some time ago. I'm hoping to make it to the next Portland Pipe Club meeting on 2/16. Steve was very active in that and am hoping to see him there or at least find out if anyone knows what his plans are.
Thanks,

Paul V

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes he parted with them years ago, way before I even moved to Portland but they are still selling the majority of his blends... at least they were in 2012 through 2014 and I remember very clearly that they sold the Granfathers Own. But someone posted a link in this thread where you can still purchase his blends from the House of Calabash.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Vorvick - Peretti's Yuletide Blend is only available around December, just as Thanksgiving Day, another favorite, is only available around November.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Order Overview

Shipping $106.00

Nothing like that First Pipe of the Day - 4 oz

Subtotal

(excluding tax and shipping)

$106.00

Nothing is that good :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ...

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
Thanks Hawky - I'll check Rich's today and report back - somehow I got it in my head that we wasn't selling through them anymore but that could be (I hope) erroneous.
I have not had any luck purchasing direct from House of Calabash online. I've called Steve and his daughter Eva, and emailed them from the site but no response. Hoping all is going well with them.
Jerry, thanks for something look forward to (Yuletide) for the holidays!
Paul V

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
Just talked to someone at Rich's - they do not carry any of the House of Calabash tobaccos.
The search continues. Any recommendations? (Doesn't have to be exactly Grandfather's Own, just magical)
V

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just talked to someone at Rich's - they do not carry any of the House of Calabash tobaccos.
I think that's where there is some confusion as they are not selling them as House of Calabash tobaccos but most of those tobaccos he made at HOC he first produced at Rich's so they still have the rights and they blend them under very similar names but maybe they stopped selling those since I move from Portland in 2014.
Regardless, I hope you find something that satisfies. Good luck to ya...

vorvick

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
Latest update, I signed up on the portlandpipeclub.org site and was told that the next meeting is 4/23. I was also told that Steve Books is still active in the club, so I'm hoping to see him there. I'll report back on what I find out about his business.

Status
Not open for further replies.