PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great video. Where would Star Wars be without James Earl Jones?
watch

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
lol!
I prolly should have rephrased the title of this thread since many might not check it out unless they're a Star Wars geek.
I am not the biggest fan out there to be honest, but I did love when I saw it for the first time in '77. Movies were different back then, they had souvenir books, T-shirts—it was a big deal. I wished I had kept my souvenir book, probably be worth a $100 bucks!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I didnt get a souvenir book... I was 8 and was just lucky I got to go see it as my parents were NOT sci fi fans... but they took me and OMG! 8O I was instantly hooked! ... and your right, movies had a different "feel" to them back then... I also remember going to go see King Kong in '76 (which was another 8O for me)... I have a fascination with FX and do allot of homemade make ups and whatnot... all attributed to these great style of movies... it just seems like they were so much more enjoyable.

Another movie I went to go see with my dad was Altered States in '80... now this movie had a life long impact on me... its the sole reason I got into hallucinogens AND I love being in an isolation tank... so much so that I have been saving my pennies to have a custom one made for my home :)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I love being in an isolation tank... so much so that I have been saving my pennies to have a custom one made for my home
Now that is cool.
I actually experienced an unexpected altered state in 2005 (not drug induced). Changed me forever, so I can understand the fascination.
My other 2 big movie events of the 70s was Earthquake with "Sens-O-round". lol! My local theatre actually installed all of these vibrating gadgets to every seat in the theatre, it was a big deal back then.
And the other was Jaws. To this day it's one of my all-time favorites. I grew up on Long Island and everyone thought the movie took place on L.I.
It didn't but had many references to L.I. like "Amity" instead of Amityville. In fact, the character Quint was based on a Montauk fisherman. I proudly wore my JAWS T-shirt throughout H.S.
A great film and still holds up today.
JAWS_Movie_poster.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I loved star wars as a kid. I have a lot of star wars stuff that is worth quite a bit of money but every time I dig them out of storage I just feel to connected to them to sell them. I still watch the movies occasionally but the newer ones were kind of a let down for me.
Jaws- that movie still scares the crap out of me!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
BAhahahaha I forgot about Earthquake... I went to see that as well, but no "Sens-O-Round" LOL, in fact never even heard of that.... I will always remember one scene that was ingrained into me.... as they were running and all the buildings were falling... there was an "extra" just a civi that was running for cover when a HUGE piece of building that was about 4'-6' chunk that fell on their head and bounced off as they kept running... bahahahaha as soon as I saw that in the theater I busted out n laughter :rofl:
Now Jaws is one of my favorite movies... in fact that movie is so good that my, now 13 years old, son loved the movie so much when he was 10 that he had a re-print of that same shirt you mentioned and wore that damn thing out!
Good lord we can go one and on about some GREAT movies from the '70's

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's great about your son. My daughters (ages 8 + 10) have seen parts of JAWS. My youngest is definitely not ready to see the whole thing, and my oldest, hmm... not sure yet.
there was an "extra" just a civi that was running for cover when a HUGE piece of building that was about 4'-6' chunk that fell on their head and bounced off as they kept running... bahahahaha as soon as I saw that in the theater I busted out n laughter
Ha! I must have missed that.
70s movies were such a bigger deal than movies today. They stayed in the theatres way longer. Lines could literally be around the block.
On the topic of 70s movies, who can forget Irwin Allen's Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure. But I especially loved the cheezy Burt Reynolds movies: Smokey and the Bandit, White Lightening and Hooper
Good memories...

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Crazy!! Reminded me alittle like Rick Moranis from Space Balls.
... bahahahaha!!! I love spaceballs... "Hi Im Barf! Im half man half dog... Im my own best friend" :rofl:
oh man six... I was a huge Smokey and the Bandit fan... I still to this day will sing the title song out of the blue... and loud... yeah my kids look at me like :crazy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was 20 when SW came out and I must have seen it at least 5 times in the theater. It was so groundbreaking we could not believe what we were watching. I will always be a fan I just wished my kids liked it as much as I do. I recently bought the complete set in Blue ray and I can't get them to watch it with me. They say, " dad you are such a geek" I don't care, I will always be a fan.
I remember seeing earthquake in that sensor sound, it was awesome. I still watch Jaws once in a while, probably have seen it 20 times.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I just wished my kids liked it as much as I do
LOL... my son, as I mentioned is 13, is a HUGE Star Wars geek... he loves and re-watches over and over all the films, including the new ones... he knows all the characters including the Clone Wars cartoon... he has most of the Lego sets... waaay more than I ever was :)

My daughter on the other hand just goes :roll:

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Wow... I'm sorry but that actors voice made me laugh... that would have ruined star wars without James Earl Jones's voice LOL

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I was 20 when SW came out and I must have seen it at least 5 times in the theater
Ha! You're pretty old cigrmaster. I was only in H.S. when Star Wars came out. :wink:

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I love star wars but I never got into the new movies because I liked the original puppet and prosthetic masks and models far better than the animated stuff that was in the new ones. It just seems even more fake looking than the old stuff. I got the remastered films and the touch ups they did to the film made the explosions look fake and cheesey. Great movies over all though. One of my favorite series of films

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Reminds me of the Eddie Izzard skit.
"The force is strong with you Luke."

"Really how strong?"

"Strong as a small pony."

"Oh that's rather strong that is."
I liked the originals and hated the last three that came out. Jar-Jar Binx? Really? But I have to say I prefer Lord of the Rings over Star Wars.
I think the movie theaters are less packed with patrons because Netflix and Redbox and Blockbuster get a hold of the films so quickly a lot of people just wait until then so they don't have to deal with whining kids and idiots talking loudly or texting on their phone. Plus, you can then pause the movie for a potty or snack break. Same reason a lot of people won't go to the Super Bowl. Much more comfortable at home and you never miss a minute.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
That actor's voice was horrifying. This series would have failed without James Earl Jones.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I had freakin' Star Wars everything as a kid. Bed sheets, curtains, lunch box. I was sure I was going to grow up and fly an X-Wing one day.
But I have to say I prefer Lord of the Rings over Star Wars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxAEo3CWeq8

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
ha ha. I love Kevin Smith! Do any of you guys ever watch Comic Book Men after Walking Dead. Those two shows make my week. That and Dexter that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.