PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
If this is deemed political, I'm sorry and feel free to kill the thread.
If you haven't heard, a shirt that I wear fairly often has made the news. It truly amazes me that it happened. It's one of my favorite movies of all time but I never expected it to be brought up as containing a terrorist threat.
(Oops, wrong forum. Sorry. *EDIT* - Fixed It! -J)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Judas Priest, Dave. There was a time, not too long ago, when you couldn't throw a fight anywhere in the world without a handful of Aussies and Kiwis showing up just to dole out bloody noses.
What in the Sam Hill happened to those two countries? Here's a continent settled by convicts eking out an existence in a far from gentle climate. And we've got two countries that paid rivers of blood to buy property in Gallipoli fighting Johnny Turk. (Storient, no offense meant and hopefully none taken.) People are threatened by a tee shirt with a classic quote from an equally classic kid/adult movie? I've got to call bullshit on that one.
"The Princess Bride" is a Fnord family favorite and I'm crazy over that tee shirt. Where can I get one?

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I just bought that shirt for my girl who's a huge "Princess Bride" fan. You can get them at http://www.thinkgeek.com/

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Oz has changed. Lots of immigrants. I have 3 Aussies who are on-line friends, and two of them emigrated from the UK in the past 10 years. Tobacco laws are a bear, but,other than that, sounds like a pretty nice place to live. As an Aussie pointed out in a magazine article I read a few years back stated, Australia got the convicts,and the American colonies got the Puritans.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
From Marcuse's One Dimensional Man:

"...these rights and liberties shared the fate of the society of which they had become an integral part. The achievement cancels the premises."
Ultimately, we will lose so many of the freedoms we fought so hard for as we succumb to fear...

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
That is freakin' hysterical! Do you have the idea/notion of free speech over there in Austrailia/New Zealand?

pipesicle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2012
S.E.Iowa
We used to have it here in the states but the panty waist liberals have all but killed that portion of the bill of rights.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
images4_zpsdba4e1ec.jpg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
We used to have it here in the states but the panty waist liberals have all but killed that portion of the bill of rights.
The problem is that too many people don't know what "free speech" means. Here's the pertinent part of the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech
It says nothing about what a private person does on their private property. Their property rights trump your right to free speech. Their house, their rules.

Therefor, if you are in a situation like that here in the States, and the flight attendant asked you to change your shirt, your right to speak your mind nay be abridged, but the government did not do it, so the First Amendment has not been violated. The airplane is the private property of the airline, and they have a right to restrict your speech on their property.

Likewise, if a member of this forum is repeatedly rude to other members, either in public posts or in private messages, and Kevin cancels their membership, the same principle applies. This website is Kevin's property. He is the owner. And his rights as the owner trump your right to say what you wish.

And for one final example: if you use a term that someone else finds offensive, and they call you out for it - or punch you in the nose - that's just too bad. They thought you were rude, and they took action. The government didn't do it. Your free speech rights have not been violated.
(I wasn't post this, but changed my mind. I don't think a lesson in civics is political. :puffy: )

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
great movie, but not to sound too much like a tree hugger or anything (cause i am so far right that i can see myself)..but really, maybe it was a poor decision to were that on a flight..i mean i would think twice about wearing a "im a snitch" tshirt before walking into a jail!

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Yes, very intimidating. What a joke.
My wife just recently introduced me to this movie, very funny!
I don't see why anyone would be worried after seeing that shirt (even if the reference is not caught) unless they are a dad-killer, lol!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Jud you are right on Mr. If people pull their head out of their arse and really read our founding document they might really be amazed at how wonderful our negative liberties really are. Some people have no filter at all. As soon as a thought pops into their little pea brain it pukes right out of their mouth.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have that shirt. I also have a similar one that says My Name Is: Leeeerooooooooooooooooooooooy Jenkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.