For "The Princess Bride" Fans

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by captainsousie
  • Latest reply from lordnoble
  1. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If this is deemed political, I'm sorry and feel free to kill the thread.

If you haven't heard, a shirt that I wear fairly often has made the news. It truly amazes me that it happened. It's one of my favorite movies of all time but I never expected it to be brought up as containing a terrorist threat.

(Oops, wrong forum. Sorry. *EDIT* - Fixed It! -J)

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Judas Priest, Dave. There was a time, not too long ago, when you couldn't throw a fight anywhere in the world without a handful of Aussies and Kiwis showing up just to dole out bloody noses.

What in the Sam Hill happened to those two countries? Here's a continent settled by convicts eking out an existence in a far from gentle climate. And we've got two countries that paid rivers of blood to buy property in Gallipoli fighting Johnny Turk. (Storient, no offense meant and hopefully none taken.) People are threatened by a tee shirt with a classic quote from an equally classic kid/adult movie? I've got to call bullshit on that one.

"The Princess Bride" is a Fnord family favorite and I'm crazy over that tee shirt. Where can I get one?

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mirain

mirain

Login to Send PM

I just bought that shirt for my girl who's a huge "Princess Bride" fan. You can get them at http://www.thinkgeek.com/

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with pigeons.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oz has changed. Lots of immigrants. I have 3 Aussies who are on-line friends, and two of them emigrated from the UK in the past 10 years. Tobacco laws are a bear, but,other than that, sounds like a pretty nice place to live. As an Aussie pointed out in a magazine article I read a few years back stated, Australia got the convicts,and the American colonies got the Puritans.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. lasttango

lasttango

Login to Send PM

From Marcuse's One Dimensional Man:
    "...these rights and liberties shared the fate of the society of which they had become an integral part. The achievement cancels the premises."

Ultimately, we will lose so many of the freedoms we fought so hard for as we succumb to fear...

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pipesicle

pipesicle

Login to Send PM

That is freakin' hysterical! Do you have the idea/notion of free speech over there in Austrailia/New Zealand?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. pipesicle

pipesicle

Login to Send PM

We used to have it here in the states but the panty waist liberals have all but killed that portion of the bill of rights.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somebody here is getting political. Not mentioning any names.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I, too, love that movie. That was quite amusing. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha ha ha, now that is funny

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We used to have it here in the states but the panty waist liberals have all but killed that portion of the bill of rights.

The problem is that too many people don't know what "free speech" means. Here's the pertinent part of the First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech

It says nothing about what a private person does on their private property. Their property rights trump your right to free speech. Their house, their rules.
    Therefor, if you are in a situation like that here in the States, and the flight attendant asked you to change your shirt, your right to speak your mind nay be abridged, but the government did not do it, so the First Amendment has not been violated. The airplane is the private property of the airline, and they have a right to restrict your speech on their property.
    Likewise, if a member of this forum is repeatedly rude to other members, either in public posts or in private messages, and Kevin cancels their membership, the same principle applies. This website is Kevin's property. He is the owner. And his rights as the owner trump your right to say what you wish.
    And for one final example: if you use a term that someone else finds offensive, and they call you out for it - or punch you in the nose - that's just too bad. They thought you were rude, and they took action. The government didn't do it. Your free speech rights have not been violated.

(I wasn't post this, but changed my mind. I don't think a lesson in civics is political. )

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

great movie, but not to sound too much like a tree hugger or anything (cause i am so far right that i can see myself)..but really, maybe it was a poor decision to were that on a flight..i mean i would think twice about wearing a "im a snitch" tshirt before walking into a jail!

John
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, very intimidating. What a joke.

My wife just recently introduced me to this movie, very funny!

I don't see why anyone would be worried after seeing that shirt (even if the reference is not caught) unless they are a dad-killer, lol!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

maybe it was a poor decision to were that on a flight.

True -- but I'm betting the wearer though nothing of it.

I'm also with Jud here -- I was also very annoyed when my small key ring Swiss Army knife was confiscated by TSA -- after having it pass through security dozens of times -- but it is what it is. Rules are rules.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jud you are right on Mr. If people pull their head out of their arse and really read our founding document they might really be amazed at how wonderful our negative liberties really are. Some people have no filter at all. As soon as a thought pops into their little pea brain it pukes right out of their mouth.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must have that tshirt.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. charimon

charimon

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the thread, just ordered a shirt on Amazon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. rondyr

rondyr

Login to Send PM

Anybody want a peanut?

I'm so awesome, I make myself jealous of myself.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have that shirt. I also have a similar one that says My Name Is: Leeeerooooooooooooooooooooooy Jenkins.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I do not think it means what you think it means."

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Inconceivable!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Judd: Have fun storming the castle!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's the name I put on all name tags that I get to write-in... I leave the quote off not because I don't want to offend, but more of an inside joke. Most people my age and younger get it, some older don't. I can see why some might get worried (silly, I know) about a shirt stating that, but clearly, The Princess Bride isn't part of NZ pop-culture, so it kinda missed the point with them.

For the record, this thread can the possibility of going south at which point it will be closed. Particularly with statements such as:

There are members here who are "liberals" and there are ones who are "conservatives" and while I grant you, stereotypes exist for a reason, let's remember that (as our esteemed Mod, Lawrence puts it so eloquently) opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. It will most likely be different than our own, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Carry on.

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   doctorthoss, pruss, peteguy, stephenw, freakiefrog, blueeyedogre, hittelusedpipes, rsuninv, warren, pipebow88, mcitinner1, tbradsim1, dmcmtk, cosmicfolklore, psychpipes, pipedreamer, huntertrw, xrundog, agnosticpipe, samg, pitchfork, antbauers