PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Ok so i am new to all this, i have smoked a few cigs but not more then a pack worth in my life and i have smoked several cigars and a few black n mild type cigars.
So my question is what kinds of tobacco are there?

what is the difference between flake, chucks and what i am guessing is normal lose cut tobacco?

What is the best way to keep tobacco fresh? I have heard many ideas from ziplock bag with a little moist paper towel to having it sealed in a mason jar in the basement.
And last but not lest, what two types do you recommend most for a newly interested smoker to try? Kind of like a lighter, sweeter, and or gentler taste to a deep, dark, robust and or strong taste. that way newbies like my self can find out what to try from you all and see where our tastes lie.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
As a newbie myself, I can only say that this site is a wealth of information.
Virginia's and Aro's would be my recommendation but I suggest you so some reading on the reviews section.
Just jump in, for a couple hundred bucks one can quickly amass a good range and depth of tobaccos...remember, ones you don't like now, can possibly become favs down the road.
Welcome to the finest hobby that exists. :puffpipe:

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
You can't go wrong with either Lane 1Q or Molto Dolce from Sutliff Privite Stock. A couple of other good aromatics that aren't too heavy can be found at Pipes and Cigars - Russ' Monthly Blend. I would suggest buying a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Cobs (they are really the best method to try new tobaccos) they are fairly cheap (around $5 per pipe). Welcome and good luck.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Novice:
Welcome!
To be honest, a lot of your questions come up constantly, so I'd recommend searching the forums for lots of general information. You might also enjoy checking out this basic primer on all things pipe tobacco: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos.
"what two types do you recommend most for a newly interested smoker to try? Kind of like a lighter, sweeter, and or gentler taste to a deep, dark, robust and or strong taste."
You've essentially described the two very broad main categories of pipe tobacco: aromatics and non-aromatics (sometimes called "English" blends). Aromatics have sweeteners and flavorings added to them to develop non-tobacco aromas and, to a much lesser extent, flavors: vanilla, fruit, berries, chocolate, etc. Non-aromatics offer an equally wide range of flavor/aroma profiles, but they do it without any (or with very subtle) added ingredients besides tobacco. For instance, some blends include rum or brandy. . . but they are still made to taste like tobacco, just slightly enhanced.
There are literally hundreds of blends we could recommend, and each one here might suggest different ones.
The most popular aromatic in the U.S. is Lane's 1Q, sold in many tobacco shops under another name. But if you ask for "1Q," most shops will confess that their popular "private-label blend" is actually 1Q. It's only sold in bulk, so you can order any amount you want from any of this site's sponsors.
It's harder to nail down a similarly popular non-aromatic, because you start to get into lots of little sub-categories. I'd say the biggest distinction among non-aromatics is between those blends that contain latakia (an oriental leaf that has been cured over smoke to give it a dark, BBQ-y, campfire-like flavor/aroma) and those that don't. Dunhill Standard Mixture is a very solid example of a standard "English" blend, meaning that it contains Virginias, orientals, and latakia -- with the Virginias as a foundation and the orientals and latakia used as condiments. For examples of non-latakia mixtures, I'd suggest Dunhill Flake (a straight Virginia) and Escudo (a Virginia/perique spun-cut blend).
Bob

Jan 8, 2013
As far as types of tobacco go, you more or less have plugs, flakes, broken flakes, twists, coins and ribbon or rough cuts. Ribbons and roughs are simply that, loose stringy cut tobacco. Plugs are tobacco that has been cured and pressed into a block. Flakes are slices off of a plug. Broken flakes are exactly that, broken pieces of flakes. Twist or rope is when the tobaccos have been twisted together to create a rope like strand of tobacco. And, to my understanding, coins are slices of twists.
I would recommend the mason jars. Ziplocs work fine for short term storage, but anything over a few weeks, and your gonna want to jar it to keep it fresh.
Two great tobaccos, hmm... MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired is amazing, no flavoring, robust, tangy flavor. And I will also throw Molto Dolce out there, it is a good aromatic and the room note is always a crowd pleaser.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Welcome, and be careful what you ask for with this hobby. Lots of rabbit holes you can get lost in, but it's quite a good time I must say.
I too am "new" to this, as I've only been doing this for months, and I've found that the Missouri Meerschaum Cobs are the way to go for starting out. Your eyes will go crossed with all the dos/don'ts when it comes to briar pipes, and that it itself can be daunting. Cobs smoke well, and I think really don't impart a whole lot of flavor on the tobacco you're sampling. I'm not saying to not buy briar pipes, I'm just saying don't worry about that now. Buy a cob, learn to pack, light, and learn to smoke it before moving on to briar.
Tobacco selection, this one is entirely up to you. A word of warning, the #1 most "misguided" aspects of pipe tobacco are aromatics pipe tobaccos. Ironically, the best part of someone smoking an aromatic pipe tobacco, is usually enjoyed by the person NOT smoking the pipe. I find them bland, and uneventful. Every aromatic that smells like ________(fill in the blank i.e. cherry, peaches, vanilla)while being smoked, rarely ever tastes like it smells. So, first and foremost don't expect it to. Sometimes there are faint tastes of it, but by the time you realize it, it's gone and you don't taste it anymore. Then you go chasing it...by puffing harder and faster, and then your tongue gets blistered from excessive heat.
I had smoked cigarettes early on in life, but don't anymore. I do keep and smoke the occasional cigar, and I've found that I like fuller tasting tobacco. With my foray in aromatics, I was disappointed with the taste, however my g/f always said how great they smelled. Well, so I'm one step up from a scented candle.
I ordered a few samples from Pipes and Cigars. My first "English" blend was Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, mostly taken from recommendations on this forum, and I have to say I'm very glad I did. I was hooked, on the first bowl. It's listed as a mild tobacco, and I have to admit it tasted much better than any cigar I've EVER smoked. I tried a few straight Virginia's, an some Virgina Periques. All with unique character to them, but first and formoste they had some TASTE to them.
I guess what I'm trying to say is. Go get some samples, and just try them. By a cheap cob, and learn to smoke it with trial and error, with some guidance from forum posts. Try the Aromatics, and English blends. Don't rule out the "Drug store" blends as well. Prince Albert, Carter Hall and such. The great thing about pipe tobacco it's relatively inexpensive to get started. But just like any hobby, you can spend as much as you want on it.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Welcome!
The fact that you've picked up a pipe shows that you have good taste. A couple other members have given you the rundown on tobacco types and storage (i think mason jars are the best idea) so I'll just give you a few blend options.
1) The only aromatic I have enjoyed so far was Kentucky Planter from Sutliff Private Stock. It is one of the few that tastes like it smells. However, it is just at Burley blend with nothing else in it. The Burley gives it a sweet taste (reminds me of figs) but there is no other stuff in there. Honestly, the aros that do have a lot of extra flavors turn out to smell good, but burn hot and taste bland. Molto Dolce smells fantastic IMO but it tastes almost too sweet for me. Try at your own risk :lol:
2) The best earthy, robust smoke you'll find will be an English. My personal favourite is Dunhill My Mixture 965. It has a very full tastes and once you try it you won't be able to stop smoking it. Another great is Early Morning Pipe. It is much milder that MM 965, but is a great smoke nonetheless. I have also heard that the Frog Morton line is fantastic, but I have yet to try it.
Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide to get!
-Ruger

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Pipedia.org helped me out a lot when I was just starting. It has very basic info about how to smoke and the different types of pipes and tobacco. Once you've absorbed that as starting point, the tons of information on this forum and other places on the internet will make a lot more sense.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Personally, I'd recommend a nice light Virginia over an aro. Dunhill Flake, or Capstan (ready rubbed or flake) might fill the bill. Might want to try MacBaren's Mixture or Golden extra - both nice light blends.

For a fuller taste, I am partial to Peterson's Old Dublin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. Just to address a small part of your post, canning jars are good for tobacco storage. They allow

you to buy the more economic bulk tobacco, but also work for storing tinned tobacco better than leaving it

in the tin once it is unsealed. You mention keeping tobacco in the basement. I guess it depends on the

basement, but you want to store tobacco in a cool, dry (low humidity) place out of direct light. If that describes

your basement, it's okay, but if your basement, like many, runs a little higher humidity, I'd choose a cabinet or

drawer upstairs. There are a thousand questions. Feel free to keep asking, but also keep reading. Much is

already available.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Hundreds blend and lots of kinds out there.

I tried seperate as 5 kinds as below.

1. Aromatics : Mostly burley,virginia,carvendish mixed one or another.

cherry,chocolate,maple,vanilla..etc. you name it. Lane 1Q,Trout Stream.Maple Street...

2. VAPER/VA : Virgina based with perique or just cured virginia.

Luxury Bullseye Flake,Escudo Navy Deluxe,Annyversary Kake, Orlik golden slice,

Capstan Gold Flake,Dunhill Flake...

3. English : Mostly Latakia,Perique,virginia,burley mixed.

Dunhill Night Cap,Early Morning, Frog Morton's Cellar,SPS Blend No.5,SPC Mississippi River...

4. Balkan : Latakia,Perique,Virginia, Burley and Oriental mixed.

Similar with English but sometime mixed with Aromatics may be.

Balkan Sobranie,Balkan Sasieni,Wessex balkan Supreme,Butera Pelican....

5. Pure tobacco : Latakia,Burley,Perique,Virginia,Turkish etc.. Itself without mixing.

Mostly use for a blending but sometime smoke itself.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
First of all, welcome to the hobby. Looks like you're down the right track, by doing a lot of reading in various places, this forum being one of the best, but as noted above, there are many rabbit holes. In the final analysis, your own tastes will be the best guide that you can have, but in the process of developing that good sense, there are many pathways to take, some of which will work for you and some of which won't. As we frequently say in this hobby, de gustibus non est disputandum.. This means that you will come to appreciate certain pipes styles, certain types of pipes, certain broad tobacco styles, and within that certain specific tobaccos, and so on and so forth. You are your own person, and no one can tell you want to like or not like.
This being said, there are certain fixed rules that I give to every new pipe smoker, as follows:
1. Your tobacco should always be drier than you think it should be.

2. Your tobacco should always be packed looser than you think it should be.

3. You should always smoke your pipe slower then you think you should; i.e., sip, don't puff.
When it comes to pipes, there are two broad styles: briars and corncobs. First, look at corncobs – you won't be disappointed. There are two preeminent brands, Missouri Meerschaum, and Old Dominion. They taste quite different, but provide superlative smokes. And don't think for a moment that you look like a rustic smoking one of these. Before my retirement I wore a suit and white shirt to my office every day, and I have never been ashamed to be seen with a corn cob sticking out of my mouth. Some individuals smoke nothing but corncobs, but every pipe smoker should have a couple of these in his inventory.
As to briars, the costs run all the way from a $20 pipe available in most drug stores (except CVS,) to the thousands of dollars, and you're the best judge of your own financial means. However, some drugstore pipes have yielded superlatives smokes, and keep in mind that a $1000 pipe won't smoke any better than a $500 pipe, or even many pipes selling for a good bit less. At that rarified atmosphere you're paying for artistry, not the quality of the smoke. Among the factory made pipes these names stand out: Savinelli, Stanwell, and Peterson, excellent pipes by and large. Among artisanal pipes, the sky's the limit.
Tobacco's come in three broad categories: Virginia, English/Balkan, and aromatics. Let's look at aromatics, tobaccos to which something has been added to increase/enhance/change the flavor and aroma, often for the benefit of achieving a particular room note, since the smoker himself usually can't taste the flavoring. Here I would recommend 1-Q, RLP-6, for a good, general start, and Molto Dolce for something at the extreme end, but truly a heavenly smoke. Try any of these three, and at least you'll have a basis for comparison and further selections, of which there are more than you can probably do in a lifetime.
English/Balkan used to mean tobaccos which were governed under a particular British law that no longer exists, and which prohibited the addition of any flavoring ingredient to a tobacco. These tobaccos usually relied upon the addition of Latakia to the mix, providing a smoky, campfire-like aroma. I've smoked these for over 50 years and found them to be remarkably pleasant, although occasionally a bit pungent for the bystander. Balkan Sobranie, Black House, Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe are good places to start, and I would add Lane's HGL to that. Although it's regarded as a crossover type mix, it's remarkably mild and pleasant. Also, don't forget any of the Frog Morton blends.
Virginia tobaccos are often regarded as the choice for purists, although they, too, are not exempt from the addition of flavoring ingredients. Here again the field is wide, but some I like to recommend include Orlik's Golden Sliced, a Virginia/perique blend, Dunhill's Elizabethan, and Manhattan Afternoon, a virginia sweetened with just a touch of honey.
Start with these, and in a short time you'll develop your own palate and will be able to choose from amongst the literally thousands of pipe tobaccos out there.
Matches (wooden--never paper,) are the best way to light a pipe. Zippo makes lighters with a pipe insert, and these are good because they provide a flame at a relatively low temperature, although some find the aroma of the fuel itself to be offputting. Significantly higher up the temperature scale are the butane lighters which range from an inexpensive Bic, to lighters costing in the hundreds of dollars. Never use a torch lighter to light a pipe.
This is just some general information. You'll quickly develop your own preferences, and before long will be offering advice to other new pipe smokers. Again, welcome to the hobby.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Thank you everyone that commented. I mostly pose questions that i feel some other might have but feel it might be to "Novice", thus part of my name. Ive been reading this site for a few weeks and only recently started posting. Going through several hundred posts over the time frame i found that most of the starter ideas and questions have been moved to the back of the draw so to speak. so i felt it was the right time to come out and drop a few question down the rabbit hole and see if mr. caterpillar would help a fellow smoker out. lol
Now i know i posed a few questions but i really liked the replies i have gotten so far. I feel like i should go on a trip someday and find a few tobacco farms and see how this stuff is made. I know i like the smell of latakia, but im trying to find some smokes that not only i can enjoy. My lady has a smoke allergy so my idea was to find something that was both tasty to me and nice for her to smell. shes an outdoor type of girl so campfires and bonfires she loves but shes also a typical girl that loves reese cups and sweets.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
You might get lucky early in your endevors to fine what your taste in tobacco's are. some people can smoke almost any well blended pipe weed once they learn how to pack and smoke slow. molto doche, catain black dark. morning smoke with a lot of taste Hearth&Home Daybreak. After work Mcclellands blackwoods flake. Good Luck

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Thanks pipejunky. I like the idea of having a few types but this topic seemed to take a few turns i wasnt expecting. I mostly wanted to get everyone opinions on a lighter sweeter taste and a more robust strong taste and to get info updated about the different types and storage ideas. And again thanks to everyone. i suggest anyone curious about the curing and fermenting process to look up tobacco plants in google. Its nice to know how much humidity they use to make the smoke we enjoy so good. :))

Status
Not open for further replies.