For The Love Of God, Somebody Stop Me!!!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
New Years Resolution: aquire no more than a single pipe per quarter.

It's was an easy, simple, direct to the point kind of goal, beautiful in its simplicity. I've just purchased what I believe is my seventh pipe of the year, not including the commissioned Cooke. I've deleted eBay from my phone. Not only have I murdered my resolution, I've run over it with car and dragged it for miles before setting it on fire. This was supposed to be unhealthy because of the smoke, not the financial impact!!!
On a positive note, I'm able to check off the Japanese representative from my pipe acquisition list, a Tsuge Ikebana.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
:laughat: PAD's bit you on the a$$ hard. Me too. :crying: Love the pipe btw, have a couple of Tsuge's offerings as well. Very nice smokers!

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Wow, I know most people will comment on the awesome grain on that thing. But the stem is what I really like, it just flows so well with the line's of the pipe.. Congrats!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@iamn8 I have all 4 of their "Gods" series from P&C, and really enjoy them. Not a big aro smoker, so didn't go for their 4 seasons. Heard good things though.

Tell me about it, I told myself two years ago that I didn't need anymore pipes in my casual rotation, so I was going to focus on only collecting artisan bulldogs and dublins. Then, I see some pretty chimney, or some thing that sends me off track. I buy a new rack, and then a meerschaum comes along, or a bamboo... Uggg!!! Sometimes, it's merely because I wanted to buy something from a particular vender more than I wanted the pipe. My racks are all full, and I now have some pipes in boxes in drawers that I had forgotten that I bought. Some will prbably just give away or trade at pipe club meetings. Some I will probably just use to add some sculptural silver band to. I don't really give a fig about the value of pipes, so I am known to customize my pipes.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just think guys, if tradition holds, SPC will be having their National Pipe Smoking Day sale next month! :mrgreen:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Nope, CM they are not!
Dave, thanks! Stopping is just a preventative measure to keep me from becoming known as the homeless guy with a really nice collection of pipes... not that I wouldn't be honored of such a moniker.
cosmic, with the list I've compiled of desired pipes, every time I see one that would fill a slot... It was originally a way to slow things down and leisurely aquire. This method has not been successful as of yet. Eventually though, the remaining names on the list will be $2000++. That will most certainly slow things down substantiallly!!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You need an accountability partner if you are serious. I am looking for one too. I spent a ludicrous amount of $$ on pipes last year.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
An accountability partner.... like a sponsor? I don't even know a single other pipe smoker around here... but since all my purchases are made online.... What is your situation like? I just started a few months ago and I've lost my mind. When I first started posting here I posted a photo of my collection and said I was a new collector and everyone said "obviously you mean new here and not a new collector". I seriously can't keep going at this pace. I mean at my current rate of 4+/week and these aren't exacy corncob pipes either! As I said, I've deleted eBay which should help put the breaks on. I've done the math and the acquisitions stop now. Realistically a pipe a month is a good number and as my list will narrows it'll leave only pipes I'll have to save for anyways. I still think having the list will help ;)

Nate, you live in the most dense pipe smoking area of the country. I see pipe smokers in traffic in the mornings. I know of thee others in my neighborhood alone. Our mayor even smokes a pipe, as well as the Fire chief and several police officers. If you need a sponsor, I can help. Just give me all of your money, and I'll divvy it out to you as you need it. You can trust me. I smoke a pipe :puffy:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Nate
I too need more pipes-like another hole in the head, as they used to say. I didn't even bother with any new year's resolutions because I know that I won't pay attention anyway.
Maybe we should form a special group for PAD like AA does. When you feel the urge coming on, just call your buddy and he'll help you through it; he'll ask you questions, calm you down, explain how this is a serious addiction and you really don't need another pipe---- and of course, he will look up the exact pipe and buy it before you can put a bid on it...
Aren't pipe smokers so friendly?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just think Nate, ebay has a couple of my white whale Talbert Halloween pipes. Alot of hand slapping here. Trying desperately not to give in! 8O

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
The problem with the analogy to AA is that those lucky folks with alcohol addiction, when they are on the true and narrow, don't have whiskey bottles lying around all of the time. We have these confounded pipes, in anywhere from completely beaten up (but still sweet smoking) to pristine (and maybe not so sweet), lying around just staring back at us, begging us to smoke them and, wait, wait, AND BUY MORE! It is a pipe conspiracy!
Oh, yeh, Nate the Tsuge is lovely...

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Iamn8: I have a collection of probably 150 pipes. I told myself that I am through collecting now. Felt really good that I had made that decision. Now I could concentrate on some really nice tobaccos to help fill out the gaps in my growing tobacco cellar, which I had also swore was filled to capacity.
My new Savinelli Nonpareil pot from SPC arrives tomorrow, along with several tins.
We are sick, sick people, I tell you.
But what are you going to do when every pipe you see calls its siren song and the new tobacco sounds like something you've never tried before and would like be tasting nectar of the gods!

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Stopping is just a preventative measure to keep me from becoming known as the homeless guy with a really nice collection of pipes.
I'm just trying to visualize how to mount pipe racks on a shopping cart.

Dec 24, 2012
Maybe we should form a special group for PAD like AA does. When you feel the urge coming on, just call your buddy and he'll help you through it; he'll ask you questions, calm you down, explain how this is a serious addiction and you really don't need another pipe---- and of course, he will look up the exact pipe and buy it before you can put a bid on it...
Allan, I would be happy to be your buddy - the person you turn to when you are afflicted by PAD and need to hear the voice of reason, moderation and restraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.