PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I'm considering holding a small regular poker game, probably monthly, at my house. All of my friends dont smoke pipes. So since I have my late grandfathers humidor, I thought I'd stock a free cigars for the guys. But I know almost nothing aboutem. So here's my question....what kind so I get? I don't wanna spend a fortune, but I don't wanna be offering my buddies dog turds either. I'm likely going to order from p&c, I order from there regularly anyway, so I can through it on my next order. Any help is appreciated. :puffpipe:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'd post this question over on our sister site, Cigar Chronicles
The members there will have many suggestions for you. You'll have to join up over there to post in their forum, but I think it'll be worth it.
-Jason

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Fuentes' are good I like their Hemingway series too, theres lots of good boutique cigars around. I like the Olvia V series, Nubs, Acid by Drew Estates, Cain, Perdomo Lot 23's. Get some Heartfelt beads or tubes for your humidor and a digital hygrometer try to keep it around 65% RH. Many of the Online guys have samplers or five and five comparison packs which might be a good place to start, lets your friends try stuff they might not have had.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
+1 on steyrshrek's comment about the sampler. It is fun to try different ones. That would be your best bet.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i am a fan of Fonsecas and Romeo y Julietas...both very affordable ( i think they are either Honduran or Nicaraguan....certainly cheaper than Havanas which would be hard to obtain anyway [do you still have that ridiculous trade embargo against Cuba in the USA?]

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
Keep your money in TX if the taxs don't kill yaand order from fincks cigar co.

Jul 15, 2011
I enthusiastically recommend anything by Quorum. They carry them by the bundle at smokingpipes.com. The average around $2.00 to $2.50 a stick, are very well constructed, come in a variety of wrappers and fillers, and are a great smoke. They are some of the only cigars I keep in my humidor anymore because I dont smoke cigars very often, but when I do they really fit the bill.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
My recommendation would be 5 Vegas any thing in there line is good but it depends on what you like I suggest giving the guys at cigar.com a call they will hook you up you can get a box for around 50 bucks sometimes less and they smoke like a 7 or 8 dollar cigar

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Quarum is a nice smoke , but leaves a smell that lingers longer than the others.
If you in texas , stop by Specs and see what they got in your price range.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Thanx for all the opinions...haven't yet shopped around too much, gonna take these suggestions and search around. Not in any hurry so if anyone thinks of another or two or eight, throwem in the fire...

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Consider Victor Sinclair Connecticuts. Very good cigar and very affordable at about $3-$4 a stick. P&C probably carries them.

plains

Lurker
Sep 4, 2011
One of the first cigars I smoked was a Montesino Diplomatico natural wrapper. At $80.00 for a box of 25 I think that they're one of the better values out there. It's a mild to medium stick and I find myself going back to them regularly. They are coronas - a nice size - 5 1/2 x 42

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I'm with Lawrence, but if your budget can't handle them, a really good inexpensive drug store brand is 'Antonio Y Cleopatra'. They are a good cigar with a Cameroon wrapper, the end being already pierced for smoking.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Veteran cigar smoker chiming in here. First question is are your friends who are not pipe smokers, cigar smokers? If they're only going to be smoking at your games for example, you want to stay away from the higher priced as well as stronger sticks (cigars from the Dominican would be much more beginner as well as veteran friendly than say sticks from Honduras or Nic). You also want to stay away from the real cheap smokes as they're priced that way for a reason (lower grade tobacco, not 100% long filler etc). I understand that some guys are only going to be smoking just for the sake of being part of the poker game but you don't' want a funky lingering odor either. A good all around cigar would be something from the Fuente green line. Most beginners like the thicker ring gauges and they also will last a little longer. I'd suggest the chateau which is a 4.5 x 50 rothchild or the double chateau which is 6.75 x 50 gran toro. They both come in natural, maduro and sun grown which can make it easy to try a variety. The Chateau runs about $85 for a box of 20 and the Double Chat about $105 same count (again, these are just approximations but they should be in that neighborhood). Make sure to season the humi if its not now, before you add your cigars or you'll never have the humidity right. PM me if you have any specific questions I'll be happy to help out. G1

Status
Not open for further replies.