For Jeff Lynne / ELO Fans

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rmbittner
  • Latest reply from rmbittner
  1. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just discovered an 80-minute documentary that came out last October entitled "Mr. Blue Sky: The Story of Jeff Lynne and ELO." If you're a fan of ELO and/or Jeff Lynne, it's an entertaining film. If you're really into music production, though, I think you'll probably be disappointed. Lynne's style as a producer/arranger is instantly recognizable and completely his own, but this film doesn't offer any insights into his methodology, equipment choices, approach to recording, etc. And if you're a big ELO fan, you might be frustrated that the film spends so little time on that era; you do get the entire sweep of Lynne's career, but a lot of time is spent on the two Beatles tracks he produced, his work with the Traveling Wilburys, and his most recent solo album.

Still, it's worth watching for some great footage of him just messing around on guitar at his home, some behind-the-scenes footage, and interviews with nearly all of the artists he's produced.

I don't think it's on DVD yet, but I found it for purchase on iTunes for $12.95.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I love ELO. Can't say I've heard any of his solo stuff.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. sdcowboy

sdcowboy

Login to Send PM

Jeff Lynne is a master, and ELO is my favorite band of all time. This sounds interesting to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always liked a lot of ELO songs. My appreciation for Jeff though also has a lot to do with his long time association/collaboration with Tom Petty.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love ELO. Can't say I've heard any of his solo stuff.

You'd be hard-pressed to distinguish it from ELO. In fact, the final ELO album, Zoom, was entirely a Jeff Lynne solo project.

Lynne has a very distinctive sound, and it carries through regardless of whether he's recording himself, The Beatles, Tom Petty, the Traveling Wilburys, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, or George Harrison. I happen to love that sound (although not everyone does).

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just saw the listing to this on Netflix, I will be checking it out for sure. I am a big fan of ELO and saw them years ago. Being a musician I have always appreciated bands that are comprised of excellent musicians and who have songs that are not your basic two chord songs. My favorite group is Yes.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw them in the spring of 1981. . . and, unfortunately, it was not a good night for them. Performances were lackluster, and Jeff Lynne was clearly still reeling from the murder of John Lennon the previous December. They almost spent as much time playing Beatles songs as their own.

OTOH, the opening act actually blew ELO out of the water. It was Hall & Oates, and they put on a show.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   andystewart, trailboss, phil24, wyfbane, briarfriar, jessicac, pruss