PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have a huge interest in The Revolutionary War. Growing up on Long Island I always thought that the history here was that the Continental Army lost the battle of New York and the British occupied Long Island and that was about it.

As I became interested in history I learned that New York and especially Long Island is rich in Revolutionary era history.
If you grew up on Long Island or watch reality t.v. It is easy to think of this place as suburbia. If you pull back the layers though there is so much history here.

As it happens my wife and I have been visiting some sites this summer. This ends up being a lot of grave yards. They are the few places that suburban sprawl cannot touch.
Last week we drove the three or four miles to the Setauket Presbyterian Church. This is the site of the battle Setauket and also the final resting place of Abraham Woodhull.

He was the one of the main members of the Culper Spy Ring.

I have great respect for the men and women who put their lives at stake to help the cause of the revolution.
The original church burned down and was rebuilt in 1812. Abraham Woodhull was there and active in the church.

We drove to Strong's neck and found his homestead, now someone else's property and only found by a marker.
20140722_134905_zpslqtaizs2.jpg
[/url][/img]
20140722_132510_zpscebswej_edit_1407025585764_zpsowearwbp.jpg
[/url][/img]
20140722_135006_zpshvm1gqyg.jpg
[/url][/img]

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Growing up in north Jersey I remember seeing signs all over citing Washington's retreat route. I thought that he was just trying to wear out the British by chasing him through Passaic.

Status
Not open for further replies.