PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My family had a bought a building that used to be a junk store awhile back. While cleaning it out, we found this knife. It looks like an army type knife.
IMGA3142_zps173da460.jpg

IMGA3143_zpsd7f1950e.jpg

IMGA3145_zps1cb19674.jpg

IMGA3144_zps334e63c9.jpg

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Its a usmc officers knife, from 1981. It was made by Camalus, and came with a leather sheath. I had one a while back, and it was sweet. Solidly built knife.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Über you have a piece of History in your hands, clean it up, will serve you well, when my uncle came back from World War 2, he gave my Grandfather his K-Bar, Grandpa used it for his hog killing knife, had a good blood groove, he kept it wrapped in an oiled chamois, when he died it went away, sure wished I had it. The old cajun

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That's an excellent knife and built like a tank. Clean it up and use it! Just make sure it's not too long to carry in your state. Here in Texas, 5½" is the legal limit to carry, so I can't carry a full size Ka-Bar (7") and have to carry the 5¼" version or a SOG Seal Pup.

KaBarshort.jpg

SOGSealPup.jpg

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
That's a cool old knife Uber!!! simnettpratt those are some awesome knives too. I need to up my collection too.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Über if that old sheath is leather and not dry rotted, take some hog lard or even Crisco butter it up, wrap it in aluminum foil and put it up for a while, it will soften after you wipe it down, even neatsfoot oil we used to use on baseball gloves, hope it can be saved. The old cajun

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great find, Uber! Those knives were built hell for stout and are met to be used.
Simnepratt, I'm honestly surprised there's a length restriction on fixed blades in, of all places, Texas. I'm guessing that's just for carry and doesn't apply to collectors, right?
BTW, I love your Seal Pup and was on the fence obtaining one until I ran across the Field Pup. It's been plenty much steel for me.
Fnord

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
That is a sawback pilot's survival knife used by both the Navy and the Air Force. Most commonly made by Camillus, it was a really common knife during the Vietnam War. Look it up on ebay to see its value.
I have several K-Bar / Camillus fighting knives, with my late father-in-law's (well cared for/well used) Camillus at the top of my list. I never got my hands on a pilot's knife, though...good find!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@fnord, yeah knife laws in Texas make no sense. No problem carrying a .357 or .45, but a 6" knife? You might put someone's eye out! You also can't carry a dagger, dirk, stilletto or poinard (most dirks have a teeny 3" blade), anything assisted opening or double edged or a butterfly knife. You can own all of the above; just can't carry them around. Unless you're hunting, then it's OK for some reason.
This is why Uber should check the knife laws in his state before he carries that around; they can be wacky.
@bigboi If you ever get a SOG Seal 2000 or Seal Pup, spend the extra $20 and get the Kydex sheath. I have the canvas type sheath and it sucks. The opening for the blade is not flared and there's canvas on either side of it, so you have to look down to sheath the knife, or you're stabbing your sheath.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sim right on about the Kydex sheath, been haveing one for more than a couple years, taped it in a hidey hole in my truck in case someone gets the drop on me , before that it rode with me on my Valkyrie, can"t ride anymore. The old cajun

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Sorry to correct anyone here, or to say your wrong, but in this case I have to speak-up. This isn't

a Marine Officers knife, it's a Navy and Marine Corps Aviators survival knife. The Air Force may use them too.

I know they have been used for a lot of different things, and can be purchased from several different places on-line.

But they used to be part of the air-crews survival equipment. This was the original purpose.
If the sheaf is beyond saving, you can get a new one from just about any Army-Navy Surplus. Comes with

a small wet-stone on the front.

The Camalus knife was well made and heavy duty. This is a cheap copy, but looks similar:

Edit: Just noticed that bullbriar already made this observation.... sorry! :)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
OK, Michigan's laws are just as goofy as Texas'.
Legal to own: Butterfly knives, dirks daggers and stilletos (pointy knives more for thrusting than slashing), throwing knives and stars, Bowie and other large knives, hidden knives like belt or lipstick knives, knives that do not set off metal detectors (wish I'd known that when we went to Detroit for a Stars/Red Wings game 5 of the Western Conference Finals. Red Wings fans have always been cool when they come to Dallas, but on our way to the People Mover we did have to run for our lives once).
NOT legal to own: Switchblades, automatic knives and gravity knives.
Legal to carry: All knives except for the banned ones are legal for open carry (like your Camillus). It is legal to carry a hunting knife concealed.
NOT legal to carry: Dirks, daggers and stilettos and "other stabbing weapons". Seems like a mean prosecuter could make your Camillus a "stabbing weapon" if he wanted to (I am not a lawyer).
Also, "Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent-Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony!, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars."
So a prosecuter would have to prove without a shadow of a doubt, you had unlawful intent with your knife. Then you're in trouble. Oh and finally, the penalty for carrying concealed a dagger, dirk stilleto or "a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon" is a felony, with prison for five years or a $2,500 fine.
Bottom line, I think you'd be fine carrying your knife open, but concealed might give you a big problem if someone found out about it and freaked out. Good luck and stay safe.
PS One more bit of goofyness; you can own and carry an assisted knife if you only have one arm.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
You are more than likely right about the origin of the knife Topd. I got it from a family member and that was the story given to me upon receiving it. Things are easily construed overtime and all. Nonetheless a great knife, no matter how heavily used. It should last a lifetime, then some, as long as its taken care of.
Because of Chicago, our knife blade limit in Il. is 3"! That's puny by my standards, IMO

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It's always kinda hit me funny that state laws consider the length of knives... I never worry about crap like

that. If I'm going hiking, I stick whatever knife I want in my back pack... never on my belt. Hunting, I put

a good skinning knife on the dash of the truck... not on my belt. Camping, -backpack.... fishing, -in the

boat.... I haven't felt the need to strap a knife on my belt since switching to civilian clothing years ago.

(I keep a .45 in my 'Hidey Hole'....)

Status
Not open for further replies.