PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I know it's been said before but Semois, to me, tastes and smells like a truly nice mild/medium cigar. For all those who have posted in past that they want their pipe to taste like a cigar, this is the tobacco you want. It's the same price as a couple pricey sticks or 5 moderate priced ones and comes in a 100g brick. That's enough for quite a few smokes and far more smoking time than the equivalent cost in cigars. I had been craving a good cigar recently and this absolutely satisfied the craving. I almost wish I had a Morgan briar cigar to complete the experience. The only warning I have is to beware the nic. It's not a monumental amount but if you are sensitive to it this will not be a good experience for you.
Bottom line, it's a tidge pricey but well worth it for a lover of cigars or the nic hound.

Aug 1, 2012
You can only get it in the US from The Pipe Guys (that I know of). Here's a nic-handling technique that works for me but might not work for you. Keep some chocolate or ice cream on hand. When you start feeling a bit ill, put down the pipe and have some of the sweet stuff.

Aug 1, 2012
The only remedy I have found for that is to smoke more and faster so that I get violently ill, curing the spins.

Jan 8, 2013
2 tricks. One, smoke the high nic stuff on a full stomach, that usually helps. Two, don't consume caffiene while smoking the high nic stuff. Both stimulants work together and make the spins come on faster. Beyond that, I am not to sure.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
GH&Co also works. It is nic-heavy, but Her Indoors says it smells like a cigar, and she has the olfactory sense of a bloodhound!! LOL

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I found that Cornell and Diehl Habanna Daydream satisfied my need for a cigar. I loved it. Now I may need to try some Semois

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Black Sea Sokhoum, which is one of McClelland Grand Orientals says it has a cigar-like flavor ... I don't so much think it tastes like a cigar, but find it provides a very cigar-like experience ... easily one of my favorites.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
rsuninv:
Sounds like you may have missed this review/article from January: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/play-misty-for-me/.
Bob

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Bob, thanks for re-posting that article ... although I saw it in January, I didn't really read it completely then yesterday, found I had some questions about Semois ... in re-reading the article this morning, I quickly learned the answers to those questions and thought immediately why it is that I like this place so doggone much ... it's hard to beat being part of a group that answers your questions before you even ask them ...

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you want something that tastes like a cigar, smoke a cigar; ditto a pipe. To say that La Brumeuse tastes like a cigar is to confuse a cigar taste overtone, earth, with what is more properly regarded as a pipe tobacco taste. While La Brumeuse tastes distinctly earthy this is a different statement than that it has that overtone. Overtones attributed to cigars include chocolate, cocoa and cedar; but these are overtones, not tastes. As far as I know the tobacco that finds its way into a pipe is very different, perhaps in the animal world akin to being of a different species, which, if the metaphor is extended, would dictate that pipe and cigar tobacco would be unable to procreate. They require different curing, and from what I read cigar tobacco expels ammonia during that process while pipe tobacco does not.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
4 Noggins sent me a sample of Dark Horse which has some Cigar Leaf. I thought it tasted very good. It is very strong, though- both in flavor and nicotine, and it wouldn't be an all day for me. A nice night time before bed smoke, for sure.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Keep some chocolate or ice cream on hand. When you start feeling a bit ill, put down the pipe and have some of the sweet stuff.
So, Dementors are made of Nicotine...
Scary.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Black Sea Sokhoum, which is one of McClelland Grand Orientals says it has a cigar-like flavor ... I don't so much think it tastes like a cigar, but find it provides a very cigar-like experience ... easily one of my favorites.

Indeed, I'm working on a tin of it right now from 2008, so far it's my favorite out of the grand orientals line and I also find it to be like a cigar. Cigars are also a broad range of taste, but it's like an oriental cigar.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I have smoked Black Sea Sokhoum, Key Largo , and Robusto - I like the latter two as Cigar blends but the black sea give me more of a spice than a cigar note.

I consider cigar leaf to be a valid condiment just like Perique and Lat. Why limit yourself if you like Cigars. I see no reason to not give cigar blends equal weight in your rotation. I have a goal to try all of them.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Trying to get a pipe to taste like a cigar is like trying to get homemade spaghetti to taste like it came out of a can.

I have an endless supply of decent cigar leaf and no matter how much I smoke it out of a pipe it never tastes like a cigar. I think if I had a craving for a cigar taste I would simply smoke a cigar.
Dot

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know, I just smoked a bowl of Billy Budd that's been aging for almost a year. When I first got it, it was pretty strong and harsh, and the oriental component overpowered almost, but a year of age has really calmed it down and you can really taste the maduro leaf. By far the most cigar like blend I've smoked so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.