PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Well through some luck I was able to aquire some four Ferndown Pipes from the Inheritance of a fellow Pipe Smoker and as I am rather found of English Pipes and Silverwork Leslies Pipes are basicly my personal definition of perfection as far as it can be reached.

Just look at these beautys:
DwoEdatXgAEDwWU.jpg

DwoEq3RXgAEXtTP.jpg

DwoE3MwWsAARjm7.jpg

Commonly marketed under the Name "Ferndown" or Variations of L.Wood Leslies Pipes are especialy known for their remarkable Silverwork (Not surprising considering his history as a silversmith for Dunhill Pipes) usualy stamped L.&J.S 925

Leslie is among the first Ex-Dunhill Workers who set out to start his own company, (Starting in 1978) though he has repeatedly worked with the Company and with People like Ashton Taylor, lending them his skill in crafting ornate silver applications. He is also, like Ashton and Dunhill do, oil-curing the wood he uses, wich is said to make the pipes smoke exceptionaly well, without a break in period, though as with many things pipe smoking, there isnt exactly a science behind this^^. And another remarkable quality about Ferndown pipes is their size. Where commonly the english school of pipe making is associated with rather fine and filigrane shapes, Leslies Pipes are giants by comparison, usualy starting around the size of a Dunhill Size 6 and going only up. The Dublin Shape in the Pictures above can make a Ascorti KS jealous.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, nice group. My only issue with Ferndown, is as mentioned in your blurb above is the larger sizes. Those buttons look great!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Breathtaking. I find his pipes' shaping on par with Dunhill's, whichI I adore. But I was a clencher and the size/weight were unworkable.
Can a pot be a pot without a shorter height but a chamber not especially wide? I have one such, heavy, which in profile I find perfectly shaped.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll use this thread to once again say thank you to a Forums member who sent me a beautiful smooth bent Ferndown billiard. It was in a box with a package of Semois he really didn't like and passed along to me, along with a large tin of Frogmorton Cellar. On the first go-around I missed the pipe entirely, until he asked about it! I was speechless. So thank you again to one of Forums' generous members. They are beautiful pipes that smoke like a dream. Amazing, all the way around. That is a superb cluster of Ferndowns! Gorgeous.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
As the question has been raised, I am currentl smoking the first of the batch, a , for Ferndown, smallish Appel and while the Pipes are on the larger side, the Stems and Buttons are very comfortable and can be clenched. Though you would find it hard to keep them in your mouth for the entire smoke.
DwpwH-XWsAAL-9M.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Les does appear to be making the occasional pipe, as sold by Maxim at Pipes2Smoke. Although perhaps only a single-digit annual output.
That Apple did catch my eye as being smaller, nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.