banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

For a change, a positive article on our hobby.

(66 posts)
  1. crazyhog

crazyhog

Login to Send PM

Here's a recent positive article on pipe smoking. Too bad they are few and far between. Enjoy, if you haven't read it before.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/like-a-fine-tobacco-the-pipe-smoking-revival-has-been-a-slow-burn/

"I yam what I yam."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great article and thanks for sharing, crazyhog!

Pipestud
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very interesting, thanks for the link. I believe there has been upward movement based on what I see out of stock at the major retailers.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely a great article!

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed that thank you!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The owner of my local independent pipe shop, George Hoffmann is quoted, so that makes this article even more interesting to me. He's at Pipes by George in Raleigh, N.C. There were a few edits I'd make, but it's well written, weaving the narratives and quotes tightly into the whole. I don't know if it spots a trend or just sounds hopeful, but it's music to my/our ears.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice article.

The reader comments which follow are as predictable as gravity, however.

The HiveMind now believes that ANYTHING concerning tobacco in ANY WAY is categorically evil, and 100% deadly to anyone and everyone who comes within a hundred yards of it.

Here's how that absurd, extreme conclusion came to be: Humans are slow moving, physically weak, have small teeth, and no claws. Since their inception the only way they survived was in groups. As a result, their social/tribal/grouping instinct evolved into a behavioral imperative right up there with food, shelter, and sex. For several million years to NOT be part of a tribe or group was a death sentence.

Then along came mass media, and soon after that so-called "social media". Technology that was not around during the first 99.99999999% of human evolution. The human brain doesn't care about how recently a given environmental factor came to be, though, it is hardwired to respond to certain things in a certain way, and it damn well WILL come hell or high water. And when one of those invoked imperatives is "going along to get along"---i.e. the tribal dynamic---and a given notion/idea takes hold among a critical mass OF the group, rationality and logic go out the window. No one wants to be shunned by the tribe.

It was not only a handy mechanism, it was an essential one. h. Sapiens literally owes its existence to it.

It sure is a pain in the ass of the MODERN world, though. Pipe smoking being a tiny---but highly illustrative---example. "The Tribe says tobacco is categorically evil, and I want to be accepted by the tribe.... Therefore, I will join the movement!"

A woman who used to live across the street from me approached one day when I was smoking a cigar on my porch, to inform me that I was setting a BAD VISUAL EXAMPLE for any child who might happen by and see it.

Think about how she got to such a place in her mind, and how powerful the virtue signaling urge must have become for her to confront a man sitting outdoors on his own property about something she IMAGINED MIGHT BE a POTENTIAL risk involving a child's POSSIBLE future, and you will understand what our hobby is up against.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Y'know, I haven't seen her around here lately, but the lady's picture reminds me a great deal of Witch of the Hollow's avatar! Good article, & yeah, the comments are highly predictable. Have these people never heard of MYODB?

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People will forever exert endless energy trying to improve and reform others, since it is so much easier than improving and reforming themselves.

Posted 1 month ago #
  10. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good article, though I would seriously dispute its claim that smoker pipe tobacco is any kind of health hazard. If it is the actuarial tables are all wrong.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

awesome read, thanks!

Pierre
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kaz and Mary are good people.

Neal
    Posted 1 month ago #
  13. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

Thanks for posting that.

IMO any article that highlights positive aspects of tobacco pipe smoking is beneficial.Even misinformed statements in the article comments section are very useful, since they provide an opportunity for fact based rebuttal.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A woman who used to live across the street from me approached one day when I was smoking a cigar on my porch, to inform me that I was setting a BAD VISUAL EXAMPLE for any child who might happen by and see it.

That’s just absurd but unfortunately it’s not all that rare. I get shocked looks of disapproval all the time when I’m smoking my pipe outdoors while playing with my daughter or just walking our dogs. It used to be that folks had fond memories of the nice aroma a pipe produces but now it’s damn near child abuse if a father smokes a pipe near his children out in the “wild”. It’s really a damn shame. I’ve even been warned of the dangers of 3rd hand smoke... yup, you read that right, they are now spreading word that 3rd hand smoke (residual smoke on your clothes or hair) can cause severe allergies in children and can even go as far as to cause ADD in some. As far as I’m aware there is no science backing this up, it’s just another scare tactic for the antis to use to demonize the use of tobacco. My apologies for posting a negative in a positive post, just couldn’t help myself.

Posted 1 month ago #
  15. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't forget to go out to smoke this Friday, May 31.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing ,

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice article.

The reader comments which follow are as predictable as gravity, however.

The HiveMind now believes that ANYTHING concerning tobacco in ANY WAY is categorically evil, and 100% deadly to anyone and everyone who comes within a hundred yards of it.

Here's how that absurd, extreme conclusion came to be: Humans are slow moving, physically weak, have small teeth, and no claws. Since their inception the only way they survived was in groups. As a result, their social/tribal/grouping instinct evolved into a behavioral imperative right up there with food, shelter, and sex. For several million years to NOT be part of a tribe or group was a death sentence.

Then along came mass media, and soon after that so-called "social media". Technology that was not around during the first 99.99999999% of human evolution. The human brain doesn't care about how recently a given environmental factor came to be, though, it is hardwired to respond to certain things in a certain way, and it damn well WILL come hell or high water. And when one of those invoked imperatives is "going along to get along"---i.e. the tribal dynamic---and a given notion/idea takes hold among a critical mass OF the group, rationality and logic go out the window. No one wants to be shunned by the tribe.

It was not only a handy mechanism, it was an essential one. h. Sapiens literally owes its existence to it.

It sure is a pain in the ass of the MODERN world, though. Pipe smoking being a tiny---but highly illustrative---example. "The Tribe says tobacco is categorically evil, and I want to be accepted by the tribe.... Therefore, I will join the movement!"

Think about how she got to such a place in her mind, and how powerful the virtue signaling urge must have become for her to confront a man sitting outdoors on his own property about something she IMAGINED MIGHT BE a POTENTIAL risk involving a child's POSSIBLE future, and you will understand what our hobby is up against.

Great post George...and while I take a different view of human history and human origins, I certainly agree with your assessment of human nature.

I would just add that not only is the group-think not always in the best interest of the individual, but it is often not really in the best interest of the group as a whole either. But it is nearly always in the best interest of the group rulers.

they are now spreading word that 3rd hand smoke (residual smoke on your clothes or hair) can cause severe allergies in children and can even go as far as to cause ADD in some.

They gotta ride that scapegoat as far as it can take them.

EDIT: After all, if they don't blame tobacco for those things, the sheep might start looking in other directions...food, medicine, water, air.

Perception management is a vital component of control.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  18. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For anyone who wondered "where I was coming from" with my previous post, and/or how a nicely-put-together article on our hobby could elicit the response from me that it did, the best way to explain it is by pointing out the ABSENCE of something:

There's a major sub-category of collecting called "Breweriana" which covers items connected to beer and spirits. Steins, bottles, signs, shot glasses, and so forth. Imagine if the comments section following every article about that field of collecting became a platform-of-opportunity for anyone obsessed with the many well known and well-documented potential dangers of alcohol. From drunk drivers to lost workforce productivity to destroyed families to cirrhosis and pancreatitis.

Never happen, right? Why? Because the editors of the magazine wouldn't allow it.

But they apparently DID think allowing their readership to sound off about visiting cancer wards & etc. was their duty when it came to the Evils of Tobacco.

The depth and extent of social conditioning required to generate such appeasement is frightening.

Disagreement with the prevailing orthodoxy is what Orwell referred to as wrongthink.

After a while, it becomes thoughtcrime.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George: It was a good story. The problem with it is that, in her own clumsy way, she was correct. And, your response could/should have been, "I'm not a feckin role model and I simply do not care."

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

George: It was a good story. The problem with it is that, in her own clumsy way, she was correct. And, your response could/should have been, "I'm not a feckin role model and I simply do not care."

You think tossing her into the wood chipper in my backyard was too much, then?

How is a man supposed to keep up with what's acceptable and what's not, anymore? I mean, since she was a lady, I cranked the throttle to the max to make things as quick as possible. And you're saying all I had to do was TALK to her?!

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never (NEVER) pay attention to comments on articles such as these as all the social justice warriors, living at their parents house come out of the woodwork and their comments just aren’t worth anyone’s time.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Busy bodies will be what they are. That silliness hasn't reached those proportions here yet. Took my girls to see the Pikachu movie yesterday and while walking back to the car I had a pipe lit. A young couple, probably late teens, saw my pipe and both shared stories about fond memories of their grandparents that my pipe evoked.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  23. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My housekeeper observed my pipes reminded her of her grandpa. I asked, jokingly, if he died of heart disease or cancer?

"Car wreck," she responded. "He dropped his lighted pipe into his lap."

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely concur on the "reform" aspect, Tom. Like dealing with assigning responsibility for stuff. For far too many people it's always better/easier for it to be *your* fault than theirs.

B

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In case anyone was wondering (since I rarely joke about serious matters), I did NOT toss that woman into a woodchipper.

Rather the opposite, in fact. I apologized profusely for my toxic masculinity having encroached on her Personal Space Life Journey Feelings, and thereby interfered with the transsexual dance therapy interpretation class that her inner child was silently crying out for her to enroll in.

Then I apologized for having assumed xir gender with that statement, so changed my reference to "person."

Then I apologized for having used a term which included a gendered component--the "son" in "person"---so changed it to "human".

Which was even worse, of course---the "man" in "human" being beyond inexcusable---so finally settled on "it."

After which my cigar had gone out, but since she was frantically trying to bat away a crow by then (an especially tenacious one that had taken an interest in all the shiny objects stapled into her face and was dive bombing her like a Ju-87), I didn't care. That's what torch lighters are for, right?

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lolz @ George!!!

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. buck17

buck17

Login to Send PM

Yeah interesting. Pro youthful pipers article. Thanks.

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You also have to be very careful with the words that slip out of your mouth these days or you might be cited with verbal abuse. Apparently just a man talking is extremely offensive and borderline abuse. Yeah, I totally admit that I don’t belong in Austin, it’s just gotten ridiculous here, I’m walking on eggshells everywhere I turn as it’s not cool to have masculine qualities anymore (not just talking about growing a beard down to your knees and dressing like a lumberjack even though you’ve never swung an axe).

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I totally admit that I don’t belong in Austin

Maybe you should consider relocating to TX. I've heard it's a bit more sane there.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@1 for Brian64, Just what I wanted to say, or to a States like Okla, Az or NM at least.Briefly go to south west.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I totally admit that I don’t belong in Austin,

Austin stopped being part of Texas a long time ago and fortunately there are only a couple of places in Texas like Austin - San Antonio, Houston & possibly Dallas. The rest of Texas is relatively sane.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  32. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Despite needing a few sharp-eyed edits -- which all of us need from time to time -- this is a well written and engaging story. I kind of hope the author revisits the subject and raises some of the interesting aspects of pipes and pipe smoking that could interest even non-smokers. The array of different materials, brands, shapes, and national origins of pipes, for examples. This guy writes well enough that he could make those resonate with collectors in general, though it should probably be parceled over two or more other stories. It's pretty interesting if it can be spun out in a way comprehensible to people who don't know the subject. Having written biomedical science for about 35 years, I really pay heed to making intricate subjects accessible in plain language. People don't understand the scientific method; they want scientists to come up with the answer that they choose, and needless to say, that's not science.

Posted 1 month ago #
  33. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Great article, thanks for posting!
    It's always interesting when pipe smoking occurs in mainstream media.

georged,

Spot on! Love the rant.
    Political correctness and herd mentality-anxiety, we have that here in Sweden too. Plenty.

Posted 1 month ago #
  34. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sadly we live a world that really hasn't moved on very far from Prohibition. Someone somewhere feels it is necessary to provide the correct guidance to the other unenlightened rubes. This form of behavior has now become an entire socio-economic activity with 'Not for Profits' providing a secure and handsome income for the practitioners of puritanism. Once they achieve their stated goals they then move on to the next campaign. They are the terminally offended, probably bullied at school and resent the popular kids getting all the pretty girls. Its a mentality based on malice, spite and inner anger and a failure to discover masturbation before the age of 16. Personally I go out of my way to offend these idiots and nothing offends more than using their shiny shoes as a repository for a mouthful of chewed plug!

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its a mentality based on malice, spite and inner anger and a failure to discover masturbation before the age of 16.

LOL

Yes, but those types have always been around, and their mentality can't really account for the out-of-all-proportion hysterical mass-demonizing/criminalizing of any and all tobacco use...which is now a widespread position taken by a very large percentage of society.

And it is not a position that most people have arrived at by their own reasoning...but rather a position that they have been instructed to take by mass media/government programming...as are most other non-reality-based perceptions that the masses are given regarding any number of issues.

Posted 1 month ago #
  36. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

People tend to forget that Prohibition did more harm to the United States than good.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old man Kennedy, among many others, made out pretty good under prohibition. I suppose it depends on one's perspective with respect to harm or good.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, but those types have always been around, and their mentality can't really account for the out-of-all-proportion hysterical mass-demonizing/criminalizing of any and all tobacco use...which is now a widespread position taken by a very large percentage of society.

And it is not a position that most people have arrived at by their own reasoning...but rather a position that they have been instructed to take by mass media/government programming...as are most other non-reality-based perceptions that the masses are given regarding any number of issues.

Exactly so.

Exactly

When people finally "get" that---how the human tribal response works---they pause.

Then, when they realize it's a DNA-encoded "hardwired" survival trait that operates independently of reason... they do a slow blink.

Then, when they realize that through all of human history until a century or so ago, anyone who wanted his ideas to be heard by more than a dozen or so people had exactly one option: stand in a high place and shout (soapbox, rock, stage, treestump), they start to look alarmed. (Newspapers, television, radio, and books were never really in the mix. Getting a book published, or editorial printed, or having a TV or radio show was accomplished by only a vanishingly small percentage of the population, and then was heavily edited/controlled/etc.)

Then, when they realize that effectively OVERNIGHT (in evolutionary terms) and without warning, it became possible for anyone, anywhere to establish contact with---and stay connected to---millions of people at any time in any combination, they make a little squeak, drop to the ground, and curl into a catatonic fetal position. (At least that's what happened the last time I was around when the subject come up. Three people did at once, in fact. I remember because it was in front of an ice cream shop and the owner was pissed. Didn't want people thinking he'd poisoned them, I imagine.)

Posted 1 month ago #
  39. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

(It is impossible to enjoyably smoke a pipe fast. You’ll overheat the tobacco and burn your tongue.)
    A great-looking, badly engineered pipe is a knickknack.
    Whole cities in Europe, like Bristol and Glasgow, grew rich on the import of tobacco from slave plantations in North America.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting article, I've been saying pipe smoking shouldn't just be regulated to old men, why should they have all the fun?

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

chromearty

Login to Send PM

34 year old blue collar guy here. I tend to despise my millennial generation... and especially the hipsters there within. The fact that hipsters have taken to pipes is rather irritating, I have to hide my pipe smoking in fear of being labeled one!

No, pipes shouldn't just be for old men... but ugh, these gad damn hipsters!! Blegh

Posted 1 month ago #
  42. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this not how the majority of people arrive at their opinions? Whether they be pro or anti-tobacco? People tend to read/watch only the information available that supports their beliefs. You and I are targeted by various companies/researchers/producers etc. who feed our biases. It's the way things have always been. Nothing new in this, only the media used has changed. Paine used broadsides, Attila used word of mouth, politicians have used rallies throughout history, Truman used the train, Eisenhower used TV, only the media changes. Very few people are open minded after their teens. Various organizations know their base and cater to it. And, that is why the youngsters are targeted by various organizations, to grow the base. Adults, by and large cling tenaciously to the beliefs put into their minds as children, striving to reinforce them.

Smokers, as a group (my opinion only), tend to be insecure in their choice and are always looking for support, be it fellow smokers, research, etc. When you are uncertain in your lifestyle choice, the slings and arrows hurt more. We are always looking for support, any support, from any source. Being part of a targeted minority can be hard if one isn't secure in their choices. Hence the need to demean the opposition.

Posted 1 month ago #
  43. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smokers, as a group (my opinion only), tend to be insecure in their choice and are always looking for support, be it fellow smokers, research, etc. When you are uncertain in your lifestyle choice, the slings and arrows hurt more. We are always looking for support, any support, from any source. Being part of a targeted minority can be hard if one isn't secure in their choices. Hence the need to demean the opposition.

You're not saying the "slings and arrows" are merely harmless opinions are you? The opposition is seeking to end our activities entirely. I can handle anyone's opinion, if that's all it is. No insecurities there.

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  44. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have to agree with the article. I was out the other evening and had multiple "kids" (20 somethings) come up and say how cool my pipe was.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this not how the majority of people arrive at their opinions?

Yes, unfortunately...which is what I said.

Adults, by and large cling tenaciously to the beliefs put into their minds as children, striving to reinforce them.

Very true...which again, is essentially what I said.

We are always looking for support, any support, from any source.

I'm not looking for any support at all...I just want to be left the hell alone when it comes to choices that affect no one but myself.

Now I can't help but anticipate some inane comment about "second-hand smoke". My informed opinion is that it's mostly bullshit propaganda...but nevertheless, in my case, no one is EVER exposed to second hand smoke from me who does not wish to be.

And as far as "third-hand smoke", anyone who propagates or believes that BS to be any kind of genuine issue as something that justifies restricting or prohibiting tobacco use by an adult, is either a liar or just plain stupid.

IMO.

The opposition is seeking to end our activities entirely. I can handle anyone's opinion, if that's all it is. No insecurities there.

Exactly.

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian, you have to stop reading my mind and posting my thoughts!

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's easy to justify restricting or prohibit tobacco without being either "stupid" or a "liar." Failure to understand the so-called enemy is exactly how we've arrived at this point in time with respect to tobacco use. The people leading the antis are well informed, educated and equipped to wage a societal war against tobacco. We smokers haven't a proverbial leg to stand on in this particular confrontation. All we have is "I like smoking." That, is not sufficient ammunition.

it comes to choices that affect no one but myself.

You can make that your mantra but, people ain't gonna buy into it. Simply purchasing tobacco, supporting the industry as it were, is anathema to the anti-tobacco crowd. If the product is available for the general public, it's a bad thing to many. The "drys" were beaten by the numerical superiority of the "wets" and "no opinions". Smokers are the minority in this case and your ability to purchase tobacco is an affront to the "antis". The "we don't cares" ... well they have no interest in your or my plight.

It's no fun being insignificant and that is what we are. Our enjoyment of tobacco simply drives the antis nuts. The antis have the support of society in general as it is simply an unsupportable, selfish vice with absolutely nothing positive going for it.

I can handle anyone's opinion, if that's all it is.

Those opinions are what drive the opponents of tobacco use. So, you are going to have to do more than "handle". You're going to have to acquiesce at some point and live with them should they eventually prevail and eventually ban tobacco use in all forms.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Austin stopped being part of Texas a long time ago and fortunately there are only a couple of places in Texas like Austin - San Antonio, Houston & possibly Dallas. The rest of Texas is relatively sane.

That’s true. My parents own a nice place up in Salado, so I go up there often to get away from the wack jobs here. Unfortunately, there is a lot more job opportunities in Austin so I’ll have to stick around until I retire.

[quote]Maybe you should consider relocating to TX. I've heard it's a bit more sane there.

Posted 1 month ago #
  49. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian, you have to stop reading my mind and posting my thoughts!

I was wondering whose voice that was I keep hearing in my head. The Canadian accent should have given it away.

Posted 1 month ago #
  50. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those opinions are what drive the opponents of [fill in the blank] use. So, you are going to have to do more than "handle". You're going to have to acquiesce at some point and live with them should they eventually prevail and eventually ban [fill in the blank] in all forms.

Because of social media & Net-related user tracking info acquisition, the "First they came for..." scenario will be the New Normal all too soon. The infamous historical instances of it so far will only be small, proof-of-concept exercises in comparison.

Posted 1 month ago #
  51. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's easy to justify restricting or prohibit tobacco without being either "stupid" or a "liar."

If one were to "parse" my comments carefully, they would see that the "liar or stupid" was referring specifically to the "3rd hand smoke issue".

Because of social media & Net-related user tracking info acquisition, the "First they came for..." scenario will be the New Normal all too soon. The infamous historical instances of it so far will only be small, proof-of-concept exercises in comparison.

You got that right. The army of morons is just getting warmed up.

Ultimately they'll be coming for anyone who exhales CO2.

Posted 1 month ago #
  52. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Suddenly, I feel the need to start hoarding bacon.

Posted 1 month ago #
  53. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 month ago #
  54. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's as I took it and how I responded to it. They may be intolerant but, they are most likely neither stupid nor a liar. But, the politics of the day seem to make such responses acceptable, though they certainly do not further anyone's argument.

Posted 1 month ago #
  55. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, you tickle me. Of course many of our opponents are stupid and dishonest. Or more accurately, they think everyone else is stupid, which isn't too bright if you ask me. Arrogant but not bright. I think Brian made a fine argument, using milder terms than I'd like to.

Anyway...time for a bowl.

Posted 1 month ago #
  56. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer the well reasoned argument, without the politics of personality. Especially when the response(s) are simply railing against the "establishment", "big whomever", "them" and what not, as it is simply preaching to the choir. But, that's just me.

There is, to me anyway, a big difference between disparaging the "other side" and offering up well reasoned responses to their arguments. Disparaging easy targets takes no thought, usually only a simple jerk of the knee. A reasoned response takes thought and maybe even some research.

But, I gleefully enter into the fray as it is entertaining and helps me pass the time on rainy days. And, I thoroughly enjoy the train wrecks which sometimes result. I hate to miss a train wreck as some of the mods are very witty when they shut a thread down.

And, providing a bit of amusement is, of course, why I sometimes take a tack which is quite different from my firmly held beliefs.

Posted 1 month ago #
  57. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heh, even the sympathetic mass media is excluded from the high-profile anti-tobacco discussions and policy-making conferences:

Journalists kicked out of the UN COP

Posted 1 month ago #
  58. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I consider the UN to be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Well, except for the third world countries and their representatives earning the large salaries while constantly poking the elephant.

Blaming "big gov", "big tobacco", and "big media" does nothing to refute the science integral to the anti-tobacco argument. The fact is, we smokers have nothing to fight back with. We never have and, most likely, never will. Instead we will have to rely on those same folks to allow tobacco use to be legal in some shape or form. Unless some scientist or medical researcher, probably working for "big tobacco" or "big government" or "big pharma, finds a something efficacious about smoking we are going to continue to be allowed to smoked only at the sufferance of the "antis."

Posted 1 month ago #
  59. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only called the EU so far, its global equivalent---the UN---is the fondest hope of those who believe (in the religious sense) that such centralized control is the only workable future of Man on Earth.

My take, free of delusional silliness and knowing how humans actually work? 2A

Posted 1 month ago #
  60. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

there is a reason why I love your posts @georged

Posted 1 month ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, you're on a roll. The most I think I've ever seen you post. Well done. And I'll be keeping my eye on you for when you start tacking the other way.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 1 month ago #
  62. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Meanwhile back on topic .......

Posted 1 month ago #
  63. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On what? }:)

IBTL

B

Posted 1 month ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When do we ever stay on topic.

Posted 1 month ago #
  65. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

Nice read. Affirms the reason I took up pipe smoking, to just be able to sit down for a while think, or enjoy not thinking.

Posted 1 month ago #
  66. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The author cleverly wrote a piece that fit well in the context of a non-pipe-smoking audience and including detail and narrative that made it appealing to non-pipe-smoking readers. As with writing science, it is almost a process of translation, cultural rather than linguistic translation.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow