Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Fold and stuff flakes

(31 posts)
  1. chuckw

chuckw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I finally tried it. I decided I wanted to smoke some UF this morning. I started to rub out a flake to my normal ribbon texture when I thought, "What the heck, I'll give it a whirl and see what all the fuss is about." I folded it then twisted it just small enough to fit rather tightly into my Peterson's 221 Supreme leaving an air pocket at the bottom.
    University Flake has been a favorite since I first tried it but it has now been elevated to numero uno.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
    Posted 9 years ago #
  2. sapo59

sapo59

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like to use the fold and stuff method. I like the quickness of it and the quality it gives to a pipe being smoked outdoors.

Posted 9 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

flugplatz

Login to Send PM

I'm still practicing this method. Somehow I end up with too much tobacco and it doesn't leave the air space underneath. That's why I so enjoy this hobby!

Posted 9 years ago #
  4. surfmac211

surfmac211

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the fold and stuff method. I think it smokes better and gives more flavor of the tobacco.

Posted 9 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've never had any success with it, and felt like I surrendered all control of the embers - too tight / too loose / burned hot / didn't burn at all / relight, relight, relight... hahaha oh well, I guess I don't have the knack!!!

Posted 9 years ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

MacBaren's recommends folding flakes for best taste. A point to remember is that tobacco expands when burning, which restricts the draw. So it's better to fill the pipe somewhat looser. The relevant page at MacBaren's website is down right now, but here's a snapshot of it from the Google archive.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 9 years ago #
  7. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

MacBaren's flake page is back online. Also check out a more immediate resource: Bob's flakey videos. LOL

Posted 9 years ago #
  8. jonesing

jonesing

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Happy accidents happen to newbies.

I just figured out that a full Golden Sliced flake folded and then rolled the long way perfect packs the bowl of a Cob Country Gentleman. It breaks into long strands sort of. Almost like filling the bowl with tooth picks if that makes sense. Push it down, sprinkle the stray crumbs on top and.... hey cool. Smoking perfect and one relight in 20 mins or so.

I won't see any communication directed to me here. I'm no longer active at this forum.
    Posted 9 years ago #
  9. shannonh

shannonh

Login to Send PM

Concurring with cortezattic, you must pack it loosely. If you have to jam it, it won't smoke well. I smoke most of my flakes this way. Another bit of wisdom gained through hard experience, don't use a tapered bowl for this technique. The bottom of the plug will be constricted and you'll kill your draw and airspace. IE: I have a Hans Christian Anderson that I cannot pack this way, but then again, I have a canadian sitter that loves this treatment. The bowl on the sitter is straight sided and slightly rounded at the bottom.

I'm not as broadfaced as my avatar implies...
    Posted 9 years ago #
  10. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing to add, just resurrected an old thread as this seems to be the thing to do. Resurrected, did anyone catch that ?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

davet, I always tell people the key is to make sure the stuff is really dry!~ The other thing is people always stuff the fold in first; you want the open end down and the fold on top where you light it. That is what always seems to work best for me.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never got fold and stuff to work very well regardless of how it was put into the bowl. The fold at the bottom would always affect the air flow (pocket or no pocket), and the fold at the top wouldn't give the flame anything to grab onto. I tear and stuff instead. I tear the flake in half, roll it in my fingers a bit, stuff it, cut or tear excess if needed, and then sprinkle the shake on top. I do have one pipe that can take a whole flake. I roll a flake and a half a little with my fingers, put it in the bowl, pull up a little and tear off the top, rub that excess out and sprinkle it on top the bowl.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The thing that drives me crazy about fold and stuff is that, even if I add a little crumbly tobacco to the top as kindling, it still doesn't burn evenly. I think that this is why the fold and stuff is more flavorful, because more unburned tobacco surrounding the small minuscule cherry, is heated releasing more flavor, but the cherry never consumes about 85% of the tobacco., You can't tamp it, because only a shard of tobacco ever burned, and you can push down the sides and stir it up, but then you've defeated the whole gruffin' scruffin' point of folding and stuffing. By the time I've crunched up the tobacco, I could have cube cut the whole damned thing and had a more relaxing smoke of it. Besides, it then distracts me that I've had to do this, and getting back in "pipe-smoking-brain-mode" is more difficult. And, gawd-forbid I was trying to do something like work or read while smoking. And, driving... phhht, forgetaboutit.

Nah, I'll let other people fold and stuff. I just cube cut every tin I get of flakes as soon as I open them. I think flakes are a neat experience, in that it's neat to see how the tobacco is pressed and cut, and neat to see the different leaves, but I could really care less now that the newness has gone. Yeh, yeh, yeh, flake. cut it and pack it. One more thing I have to do before I smoke.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad it works for many. I'm sure I could perfect the technique enough to have it be an option. But my trial run, or two, haven't been rewarding. I rub it out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I smoke unrubbed flake only when in high winds. Otherwise, I seem to be reaching for the lighter more frequently and I'm desperately trying to conserve fossil fuels for future generations.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. bentbob

bentbob

Login to Send PM

I fold and stuff flake most of the time. It's the slow burn and full flavour I like with that method. A flake such as Peterson's Irish Flake, Germain's Rich Dark Flake etc will smoulder for nearly three hours in a Peterson 312 (my ideal flake pipe).

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah! A seven year old Zombie! And done on purpose- congrats; I think it's the longest undead thread I've seen!

As for fold and stuff, in my few forays into that, it needs to be very dry indeed.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep trying. The flakes, after drying, keep crumbling or shattering. Dunno.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cube/rip, rub, dry, pack loose and smoke slow. I enjoy smoking, the tamping/stirring/babying is preferred kept to a minimum. For me a 30 minute bowl shouldn't have more than 2-5 minutes of fiddling through the whole smoke.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bentbob:This would kill me

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toobfreak has changed his avatar, cant wait what would be next in the line, Lol,

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. bentbob

bentbob

Login to Send PM

Bentbob:This would kill me

Paulie66 Ha, yes, it can get a little "heady" with stronger tobacco. However, I drive up to London on a regular basis and it is a 3 hour drive, so one pipe lasts me the whole way.

Occasionally get jaw ache though.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah! A seven year old Zombie! And done on purpose- congrats; I think it's the longest undead thread I've seen!

Yes, trying to be funny and fell flat After a few Zombies were posted earlier I thought I'd join in in.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I almost always fold and stuff. I don't seem to have a problem with it not burning. Don't know why, it just works. I get much more flavor that way. I tried rubbing out Stonehaven, and it tasted like air! Folded and stuffed? Wonderful!

Tim

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It doesn't work for me ... I rub it myself. Rubbing works grand, fold and stuff gives me a variety of problems. I think the problem is the thickness of the flake. I can only find Samuel Gawith flake around, and that tends to be very thick, which in turn leads to a very tightly packed bowl.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am very glad I spent the time (and endured the frustration and dozens of abandoned fail bowls) to really get the fold and stuff method down. It's just so quick and convenient.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Das right, krizzose! Fold Those Flakes and STUFF 'EM! Stuff 'em, damn it! It is so dang easy once you get the knack.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet all caps. At least you posted a pic of the Fieger brother I prefer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Frank Method. Works. 'Nuff said.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait! Lemme get my slide rule . . . .

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tennsmoker pardon my ignorance, but what is the frank method?

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brooklynpiper, jeremychoate, haparnold, jjarrett88, papipeguy, mau1, ashdigger, mellobeing