PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Alright, so I got this new Stanwell Authentic 15 a few days ago and the first three smokes have been fantastic. So far I've only run C&D Belmont Station and G.L. Pease The Virginia Cream through this pipe, which are both a very fine ribbon cut. Easy to load, easy to burn, they both smoked very very well in the new pipe. Although the blends burn quite well regardless, I was still quite impressed with how the new Stanwell has handled them. So I'm sitting here, looking at the pipe again, contemplating whether or not I want to smoke it again or smoke another pipe. And I glance up and notice I have some Low Country Waccamaw within reach. Waccamaw is a flake tobacco, which I rarely smoke, and when I do it's usually rubbed out. But I'm sitting here looking at it, and I open it up and take out a few flakes. And then I'm holding them in my hand, and looking at the new Stanwell and I smile... and I pick up the Stanwell... and I ask it, "Think you can handle it, buddy?" And it's almost like the pipe smiles back as I'm turning it over and over in my hand, and I can almost hear it answer, "Let's do this, brother." So I nod, and take those flakes, and instead of rubbing them out, I do something I very very rarely do with flakes that I very very rarely smoke. I folded those babies up and stuffed them in the bowl. And now, I'm sitting here smoking Waccamaw folded and stuffed in a new Stanwell, and so far it's been fantastic. I'm halfway through the bowl and the only relights were after the charring light, and once when I put the pipe down to grab a drink... sweet tea by the way. This pipe is very quickly becoming a favorite. I am truly impressed.

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I smoke a lot of flakes. One of the things I like about them is all the different ways you can prepare the tobacco for the bowl with each way providing a different experience. I'm glad you are enjoying it too!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
44A95go.gif

by Per Georg Jensen

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
What kind of flake is the waccamaw ? Ihave only tried one kind of flake, but i loved it. (Dunhill Navy) Looking to branch out into others

derekflint

Nov 23, 2017
You passed that test on all accounts !! The rarely used fold and stuff is always risky...but then in a new pipe !!........ Home Run !!

Dec 28, 2015
@smittyd - The one tin of Waccamaw flake I have tried is a very “broken flake”. Actually in my experience very little folding was required. Simply stuffing seems to suffice.

Jan 8, 2013
The one tin of Waccamaw flake I have tried is a very “broken flake”. Actually in my experience very little folding was required. Simply stuffing seems to suffice.
This is strange to me, because I noticed on tobaccoreviews.com that many of the reviewers called it a broken flake as well. When I think broken flake, I think of McClellands broken flakes which are literally chunks. Waccamaw on the other hand seems to be mostly intact flake, although quite a few of the flakes are split longways in half or thirds as well, almost like the flakes were just kind of thrown around haphazardly resulting in some flakes being broken.
Edit to add:
What kind of flake is the waccamaw ?
It's a Virginia Perique with Izmir.

Dec 28, 2015
ThT IS weird Anthony. My tin is broken much more than most of my McClelland tins. Varies from it to fin I suppose. It is a wonderful tobacco either way.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I love my flakes folded, and thus love any of my pipes which handle it well. I'm smoking some Condor flake in a Derby leather wrapped this morning. I wasn't expecting much of this estate pipe, but it seems to love Condor. I just wish I had a more readily available supply, as my condor is nearly gone.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not 100 percent sure, Cosmic but I'm guessing so. Low Country is Smoking Pipes' blends. Johnbarleycorn, that's what I'm guessing. I'd hate to get a tin I didn't have at least the option to fold and stuff though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Anthony, congrats on getting the fold and stuff to work for you. Fold and stuff can be a tricky business with a new pipe and a blend you don't smoke that often. I have found fold and stuff works best with soft pliable flakes such as Dunhill Flake and Capstan Blue Flake.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
The only flake I rub out is FVF. All others are folded and stuffed. Somehow, I've never had a problem with them. Most of my pipes are Billiards and Dublins, maybe that helps??? Also, I've never owned a Stanwell that didn't smoke well. Congratulations on find a great combination!

Status
Not open for further replies.