PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I know there are posts about this but many are years old. In a few days we will be taking a plane from Chicago to New Orleans. I know, no sharp objects, no torch lighters. I want to bring my combo pouch, with 2 pipes, filled with Carter Hall. I was re thinking it, debating bringing two unopened pouches in the sealed boxes, so they don't dig around my tobacco. My wife was told that the tobacco had too be in clear bags?
Anyone been on a plane recently with insight for me?
I'm also using this time to go check out a b+m either in New Orleans, or Alabama, where we will be staying (Dauphin Island) and I got the ok from the wife. We will be literally on the ocean in a beach house, but the wife wants to spend most of our time looking around the area.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm debating just keeping everything in checked luggage, just to be safe. Can't smoke around the planes anyways...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A tin or two might go in your checked luggage. I prefer to keep my pipes on carry-on with my toilet gear, to keep better track of them. Two or three pipes will do for most shorter trips, week or ten days. Carry-on tobacco in clear bags sounds good. Label the bags. Anyone should be able to identify tobacco with a sniff or two, if they must.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I carry tins in my carry on luggage and have never had an issue. I fly every month- no issues except when I have to explain the TSA reg regarding soft flame lighters to inexperienced agents.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I haven't flown since I became a full time pipe smoker last year.
However, I flew many times with a bic lighter and a couple packs of smokes in my carry-on or in my shirt pocket. Never had any problems.
Worst case scenario, I figure they might take away the lighter, but probably won't worry about the tobacco. I would rather have it in it's original packaging which is clearly labeled than have it in a clear baggie. I don't trust airport employees to know the difference between tobacco and an illegal drug, so a clearly marked factory packaging would seem to be the way to go for me.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have flown with tins and never had a problem until about a year ago when I was asked to open one. I did and it was fine. I didn't care since I was going to open it anyway.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have flown a lot lately. Pipe, tobacco in zip locks, matches, nail and pipe cleaners in my carry on. I don't see why they would care about tins.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
I fly for work fairly often. I always have my two pipe combo pouch (cleaners, matches, tool) in my suit jacket or carry on as well as a spare combo pouch in my checked bag. I usually carry several roll up pouches with tobacco along with it. I’ve never been hassled, aside from the time I left a box of matches in my pocket when I went through the scanner machine. That said, I usually rub out flakes, cakes, ropes, etc. for what I want to carry with me though. Saves some strange looks from the TSA person.
I never bring my pipe lighters though because they may like to add them to their personal collections.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I agree with the above. Carry ons - leave the lighter and pipe tool (just incase you get an over-zealous agent) in checked baggage. If you go the checked-only route, be sure to remove and secure the stems from the stummels. I lost a tenon once due to rough checked-baggage handling while pipes were in a zip-up leather case.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Thanks for the thread didi.
I'm getting on a plane in a few days and the comments posted here are of sound advice.
I've decided to bring a dozen or so pipes in my carry-on just so they don't get stolen or damaged. I'll put 5 or 6 tins in my checked baggage and hope it's all there when I arrive.
If customs agents decide to open the tins, I'll just jar it and enjoy at my leisure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, no problem here with factory tins. (but I wouldn't take anything you don't want to lose, the rules change hourly)

I put my pipes in a foam pipe case with tins in a hard-shell zip top cooler, as a carry on. They are safe in the overhead and when we get to our typical beach destination, we have a cooler to use.
One empty zippo case in my carry-on, the butane inserts in my checked luggage.
No TSA person has ever given this setup a second look after scanning.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My last try flying with pipes etc didn't go well...
p.jpg

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I always pack my tobacco in my check-in luggage, and pipes carry-on: my babies don't leave my side. :)

Lighters however is a bit tricky, you can't bring lighters on some flights even in check-ins, but you can carry them on in other flights, depending on the laws of the area you are in.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
I had a two way flight Cairo - Dubai and back. with tobacco on both trips.. both opened and sealed.. jarred and in tin.. No problem whatever with officials.. However, be careful..air pressure in the cargo part is a bitch, it squeezed the tobacco, dried it a bit.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
They still don't do body cavity searches for every passenger. You can bring quite a lot, depending on your taco consumption.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Never had an issue with anything except a three way pipe tool. I pack my pipes and tobacco in a carry on. Never been hassled anywhere about matches and I'm usually well over the limit. Same for my pouch. Nobody really cares, in my experience.
If flying overseas, make sure you know the customs regulations as that can get costly quickly. Travel well.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Just wanted to bump this since I'm planning on bringing some tobacco on my flight to Minneapolis. Possibly a lot. Not sure yet. If anyone else has info/tips/etc, always happy to hear it!

May 4, 2015
I had two unopened flake tins in my carry-on on a flight this month, no problem. A Czech tool, also no problem. Bic, no problem. Pipe bag with a pouch of loose Carter Hall, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.