PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
So next month I will fly for the first time in 10+ years. I will be visiting family. I suspect I will have a opportunity or two to smoke with my brother. Any suggestions on how to get a pipe and tobacco there without causing security issues?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In your carry on is safest, but packed and checked luggage o.k. Just arrived in Cooperstown NY with six in the messenger bag and a couple more in the big suitcase.

Tobacco in plastic bags and one tin.
Note: No torch lighters. Lighters on person or carryon only, but pipe tool in checked bag only. Matches seem to vary by airline, so I don't bring 'em.
Safe travels!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
No problems ever....just stick your lighter in your checked luggage...or have a soft flame lighter that you demonstrate to the security folks...

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I only fly with a bic, that way if you get an overzealous TSA agent it's no big loss. But other than a lighter issue I always just carry a little pipe nail, not a pipe tool with a blade.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just bury a pipe or two in the middle of my carry on to protect it. I toss in an open tin of something and a czech tool. I have never had an issue. I don't worry about lighters, I just buy a bic wherever I am.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lighters in luggage is not allowed per FAA, FWIW. No problem carry on unless it's a torch. In first instance unlikely to be caught but if so fines etc. In second instance they may think any butane is a torch.

duffer

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
I have flown every week for the past two months with a pipe - no issues yet.I have taken both my Zippo and cheap Bics. My pipe tool has not gotten a second look. I always carry in my backpack or computer badge. Usually three or four pipes. I usually buy a couple tins also and only challenged at the Canadian border - going in......

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Unless flying to a country with Import restrictions, the only potential problems are lighters, matches, and pipe tools that look vaguely like they might harm someone.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I was flying yesterday - home from Krakow. I fly 4 - 6 times a year.
The advice given so far is good: tobacco and pipes are no problem, even for carry on luggage. The risky one is a pipe tool as most of them can be regarded as a sharp object which is not permitted in carry on luggage. If you have one, it is best to put it in your hold luggage.
Re matches etc, I put a small matchbox in my pocket as I fly and that has never been challenged. Then buy more matches or a bic at your destination.
Mike

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've traveled with pipes, tobacco in baggies, pipe cleaners, a pipe nail or two, with no problem. My pipe nails are the basic item with a flat tamper head and a rounded scoop, no blades or moveable parts. The only item I've had unpacked to examine was a harmonica which looked to the x-ray like a pistol clip with the reed chambers. I've thought about tobacco in baggies, but it smells so much like ... tobacco, it is self-explanatory.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I travel with pipes, bic lighters, pipe nail and tobacco in a pipe case. I had security scrutinize my pipe nail once but let it pass. I fly 2-3 times a month.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I bring pipes in my carry-on regularly and I usually have a bic or two in my pocket while going through security that go in the xray tub, as well as pipe tools in my carry-on.
Never had a problem.
Only times I've had a problem flying was with a full box of business cards that looked like a black box on the scanner, and when I left a bluetooth speaker in my bag when they asked for us to take electronics out. It's the only time that speaker has caused a problem by being left in my bag, usually they only care about laptops.
I won't bring a fountain pen or a nice lighter just to be safe, but I think you're fine with pipes and tobacco.

joshb

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2015
I just flew with five pipes, my czech tool, 2 bics, a tub of Carter Hall and a 2ftx1ft humidor with no problems at all. Pipes, tool and lighters were on my carry on as i wanted to have a smoke before my flight if possible.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
the moment you realize how screwed up it is, that bringing a pipe and tobacco to a flight is even an issue....of course the excessive controls are neccesary in times like ours, yet they make a mountain out of a molehill. It's just a freaking pipe tool, and some dried leafs - unless you're a trained Ninja, you'll have problems hurting anyone with it.
Actually pipe and tobacco aboard US flights is not a problem at all. It's the paraphernalia that we're trying to caution about. Of course, times they are a changin'....

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Same here with no issues.
Pipe bag that holds 4 pipes, cleaners and pipe nail. Bulk tobacco marked in a ziplock bag and tins each in a ziplock. Bic lighter
Never an issue, have a safe flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.