PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I went on a club fishing trip this weekend on private property. There were 7 ponds on a 6,000 acre cattle ranch in Northern California. Three days of fishing all day eating good food drinking good beer and Scotch at night. I didn't bring a pipe but a few members and I had some cigars. We had 20 plus fish days! The first day wet flies and dry. The second day we were sight fishing with only dry flies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
buster, buster, buster:
No pipe or pipe-tobacco on a fishing trip??? That has all the makings of one of those "Don't Let This Happen to You!" stories which used to be featured in "Outdoor Life" magazine! I'm glad that at least there were cigars; still... Allow me to recommend my own variation of the author John Gierach's fly-fishing equipment-checklist mantra: Rod, reel, vest, waders, hat, pipe, tobacco, and matches.
I am envious, as the image of the pond is entrancing, and the fish are beautiful. You mentioned using both wet- and dry-flies: what patterns did you use, and which did you find to work best?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I know I know! I tried to travel light and cigars were the easy option.
First day I could do no wrong. I had some experimental flies that worked. But minnow patterns that matched the baby bass fry were the star. I also used a bars meat whistle in olive. The second day started with a Dahlburg diver in frog colors until the bite shut down. So we ate lunch and napped under the pines for an hour or so. The afternoon was all about grasshoppers with white legs for me and my buddy used a brown muddler with a little Mylar for flash. That pic of the pond was my favorite spot.
We fished three ponds out of the seven available. The dirt roads were hard on vehicles. Even the 4WD's had some dicey spots. One guy got stuck and bend his running board on his truck pretty good. My buddy almost got stuck and ripped off his front license plate in another place. Quite the adventure!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Rivers, lakes and reservoirs are fun but you can't beat simple farm pond bass fishing. It isn't a coincidence that the world record for a bass came from farm pond in Georgia - over 8 decades ago.
Because farm ponds are so small, you can fish them thoroughly in a couple of hours or so.
I love using poppers.
Hunter, you forgot one item in Gierache's check list - whiskey. John G. is still THE outdoor writer for troutmen.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"That pic of the pond was my favorite spot."
I can see why, for it is simply beautiful. Further, there is nothing like a little midday nap while you let the pond rest likewise, and what a napping spot!
Do the ponds which you visited see much fishing pressure? The reason for my question is that it sounds like the bass wised-up quickly, becoming more selective over the three days.
Thank God for hard-to-get-to places like this; they are what make fly-fishing worth the effort.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Some ponds had been fished a month earlier by another club. A few ponds had not been touched since last year!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haven't busted out my Cortland tackle for years. Going to have to rectify that.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Bass on a fly rod are a treat. Thanks for sharing. I've been so busy I haven't got out at all this season but your pictures have inspired me to correct that.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
We have a 3 acre pond behind my house in our subdivision- the record bass out of that one is supposedly 10 lbs...Overhauling my 6wt to check it out for myself...

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Buster,
What a beautiful spot and a nice outing! I would love to own a 6,000 acre cattle ranch like that, but not happening in this lifetime. When pond fishing I like to use ultralight spinning gear and light line especially if I think the fish are stunted and I'm not likely to catch a big one.
We've had so much rain & high water this spring that I've only had the canoe out one time so far. Just me & my dog; didn't do any fishing.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Smallmouth bass on the fly, that's my favorite and ounce for ounce you won't find a harder fighting fish. Largemouth are a blast on poppers for sure and I know those Cali ponds are full of some big ones! I take cobs on all my fishing trips, even out on the kayak.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Especially, on the Kayak. It can be tricky keeping a lighter working after shooting class ii's and the occasional III for small mouth on the New River and Upper Potomac.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Nice bassin' digs! Flyfishing for bass is a blast. I used to go for smallies on the Susquehanna before the population crashed. My folks have a couple of ponds with some bucket mouths in them. A lot of fun annoying them with a fly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Always had fun teasing cutthroats and perch here. Had the good fortune of landing a bonefish off of the Keys years ago. Very exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.