Fly fishing

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mrgunnar177
  • Latest reply from brdavidson
  1. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey all I'm curious to see how's many fly fisherman we have on here?
    Iv been fly fishing for 8 years and am still learning the basics.
    Cheers
    Gunnar

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I consider myself a fly fisherman, but I haven't fished in while. Still, I am sure I'll get back into it. I wasn't a great fly fisherman, but was okay. I studied a lot and fished a lot. It's a great sport - nothing like standing in a river with a strong rainbow jumping on your line.

I still have a nice Orvis rod and reel. I used to tie my own flies. I even took some instruction from Joan Wulff (Lee Wulff's wife) about 25 years ago in Roscoe NY (a required pilgrimage of any fly fisher).

"Be seeing you" —Number Six, The Prisoner

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

finally something I know a little about.. I've been fly fishing probably a little over 10 years or so. living in OH my usually destinations are MI, PA, WV and Smokey Mtn Park. But, I have as much fun just hitting the farm ponds around here and catching big Bluegill on a 3 or 4 wt rod and dry fly.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy fly fishing, and am planning on getting into fly-tying soon.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Doc

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Count me in...fly tyer also.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. scottishjohn

scottishjohn

Login to Send PM

Been flyfishing for about 30 some odd years now. I used to tie my own flys, and teach fly-tying, but it has gotten to hard to do well; now that my eyesight is not what it was once. Still try to fish as often as I can find a friend to go with me. No more wading deep, but I still catch a few occasionally. Nice thing about Colorado is there is no "season". If the weather is good enough one can fish here any time of the year. It was probably nice enough to have gone today if I had thought of it in time!

"I don't always smoke a pipe, but when I do I am even more interesting.
    .....................Keep smoking my friends..........................."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been fly-fishing for 40 years and tying flies for 38.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jwp159

jwp159

Login to Send PM

I have been fly fishing about 30 years. I go up to the mountains of NC a few times a year but I have a lot of fun prowling my local farm ponds for bluegill and bass. This is were most of my fishing time is spent. My favorite pipe to carry with me when fishing are my M&M Cobs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For those of you who tie, what is your favorite vise, and why?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fly fishing and tying for 15 yrs.
    I like warm water though, trout are Ok but I hate back-casting on a tree lined 10ft wide stream.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate back-casting on a tree lined 10ft wide stream.

I hear that! But there are some sweet spots that are just awesome.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite vise is my Regal Medallion; it is simple to operate and has a rock-solid hold on hooks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

There is an existing thread that someone may dig up that has lots of members names in it. Long timer here, favorite rod is a 7wt. Winston, I could cast just as far with it as my 10 wt. Thomas &Thomas, brings a smile to my face just taking it out of the case. I use for bluegill mostly which is my favorite to catch and eat.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been a fly fisherman (hence the avatar) for 45 years. I still use my Thompson vise and have a space set aside,in my man cave, for my tying equipment

I hate back-casting on a tree lined 10ft wide stream.

Gotta learn the roll cast. Will save a lot of lost flies and hang-ups!

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

I've always envied the guys that tie their own flies. I go to Casper Wy about once a year to fish the Plate river. Nothing like it in the world.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My screenname is Lestrout. Think that has anything to do with fishing? I've been flyfishing since 1958, several years before I picked up pipes for the first time. But I had my first cigars before any of that (when I was 5 YO). I chose my boarding school based on the proximity of the fishing, which was on campus.

Tying started about 1969, with a kit my brother gave me. Now I have more fur and feathers than all but a handful of tackle stores (actually, I can think of only one on the whole planet - Bob Marriott's in CA). So you guys can't blame my OCD on my piping. I saw my first Renzetti vise at Jack's Tackle when Andy R was still working on the prototype in Romansville PA before he moved to FL. Up to then I was flipping from one brand to another, mostly pseudo-rotational types. The Renzetti design was mindblowing, and my mainstay for several decades has been a Renzetti Traveler.

Although my folks lived in Ithaca NY and I considered Roscoe's Beaverkill my home water, I didn't really get any good at trouting by fly till I moved to NC, and I burned up the highways from the Piedmont to the Smokies learning how to think like a trout.

I just got my first trout of the year last week on a spring creek 20 min away - he was rising, so he just had to eat my #24 midge. BTW, if they rise, they ass is MINE! Although SE PA has a surprising amount of ffishing - bass pond 5 min. away, a half dozen trout streams within 20 min - I spend a lot of stream time in NY's Catskills, with side trips to MT, ID, UT, CA, OR, CO and others. It's like pipes and tobaccos - so much _____, so little time. Tough jobs, all of them, but somebody has to do it.

tl and hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. frennchy11

frennchy11

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been Fly Fishing for about 4 years now and tying for the same amount of time. By far my favorite type of fishing!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tied my first fly when I was about 7 years. i have not tied though in probably 6 years

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. lazybugger

lazybugger

Login to Send PM

yup fly fisher in the salt and fresh and I tie em for salt and fresh as well .... being on a river fly fishing for trout and having a pioe is just amazing

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never personally seen a fly fishing photo without a stunning backdrop. I don't care if you have a jillion dollars; it doesn't look like you could have more fun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My screenname is Lestrout.

hehe, I actually wondered about your name. Enjoyed reading your story Lestrout - sounds like you've lived the fly fisherman's dream life.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never fly fished, i wish someone in my family did it so they could teach me. I'm up north in decent fishing areas most of the summer and I never seem to find the time to go out.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cuchulain, phil22, peteguy, pitchfork, tuold, pylorns, captainsousie, billypm, doctorbob