PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
Hey all I'm curious to see how's many fly fisherman we have on here?

Iv been fly fishing for 8 years and am still learning the basics.

Cheers

Gunnar

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I consider myself a fly fisherman, but I haven't fished in while. Still, I am sure I'll get back into it. I wasn't a great fly fisherman, but was okay. I studied a lot and fished a lot. It's a great sport - nothing like standing in a river with a strong rainbow jumping on your line.
I still have a nice Orvis rod and reel. I used to tie my own flies. I even took some instruction from Joan Wulff (Lee Wulff's wife) about 25 years ago in Roscoe NY (a required pilgrimage of any fly fisher). :puffy:

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
finally something I know a little about.. I've been fly fishing probably a little over 10 years or so. living in OH my usually destinations are MI, PA, WV and Smokey Mtn Park. But, I have as much fun just hitting the farm ponds around here and catching big Bluegill on a 3 or 4 wt rod and dry fly.

scottishjohn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2012
Broomfield, Colorado
Been flyfishing for about 30 some odd years now. I used to tie my own flys, and teach fly-tying, but it has gotten to hard to do well; now that my eyesight is not what it was once. Still try to fish as often as I can find a friend to go with me. No more wading deep, but I still catch a few occasionally. Nice thing about Colorado is there is no "season". If the weather is good enough one can fish here any time of the year. It was probably nice enough to have gone today if I had thought of it in time! :puffpipe:

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have been fly fishing about 30 years. I go up to the mountains of NC a few times a year but I have a lot of fun prowling my local farm ponds for bluegill and bass. This is were most of my fishing time is spent. My favorite pipe to carry with me when fishing are my M&M Cobs.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Fly fishing and tying for 15 yrs.

I like warm water though, trout are Ok but I hate back-casting on a tree lined 10ft wide stream.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
There is an existing thread that someone may dig up that has lots of members names in it. Long timer here, favorite rod is a 7wt. Winston, I could cast just as far with it as my 10 wt. Thomas &Thomas, brings a smile to my face just taking it out of the case. I use for bluegill mostly which is my favorite to catch and eat.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I've been a fly fisherman (hence the avatar) for 45 years. I still use my Thompson vise and have a space set aside,in my man cave, for my tying equipment
I hate back-casting on a tree lined 10ft wide stream.
Gotta learn the roll cast. Will save a lot of lost flies and hang-ups!

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I've always envied the guys that tie their own flies. I go to Casper Wy about once a year to fish the Plate river. Nothing like it in the world.
DSCF0997.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

DSCF0946.jpg

DSCF0943.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
My screenname is Lestrout. Think that has anything to do with fishing? I've been flyfishing since 1958, several years before I picked up pipes for the first time. But I had my first cigars before any of that (when I was 5 YO). I chose my boarding school based on the proximity of the fishing, which was on campus.
Tying started about 1969, with a kit my brother gave me. Now I have more fur and feathers than all but a handful of tackle stores (actually, I can think of only one on the whole planet - Bob Marriott's in CA). So you guys can't blame my OCD on my piping. I saw my first Renzetti vise at Jack's Tackle when Andy R was still working on the prototype in Romansville PA before he moved to FL. Up to then I was flipping from one brand to another, mostly pseudo-rotational types. The Renzetti design was mindblowing, and my mainstay for several decades has been a Renzetti Traveler.
Although my folks lived in Ithaca NY and I considered Roscoe's Beaverkill my home water, I didn't really get any good at trouting by fly till I moved to NC, and I burned up the highways from the Piedmont to the Smokies learning how to think like a trout.
I just got my first trout of the year last week on a spring creek 20 min away - he was rising, so he just had to eat my #24 midge. BTW, if they rise, they ass is MINE! Although SE PA has a surprising amount of ffishing - bass pond 5 min. away, a half dozen trout streams within 20 min - I spend a lot of stream time in NY's Catskills, with side trips to MT, ID, UT, CA, OR, CO and others. It's like pipes and tobaccos - so much _____, so little time. Tough jobs, all of them, but somebody has to do it.
tl and hp

les

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Been Fly Fishing for about 4 years now and tying for the same amount of time. By far my favorite type of fishing!

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
yup fly fisher in the salt and fresh and I tie em for salt and fresh as well .... being on a river fly fishing for trout and having a pioe is just amazing

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Never personally seen a fly fishing photo without a stunning backdrop. I don't care if you have a jillion dollars; it doesn't look like you could have more fun.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My screenname is Lestrout.
hehe, I actually wondered about your name. Enjoyed reading your story Lestrout - sounds like you've lived the fly fisherman's dream life.

Status
Not open for further replies.